RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,313
Posts: 5,352,311
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 660
Newest member: MAC5494

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 27 2012, 08:36 PM   #16
t_smitts
Commander
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
The action-adventure ones would obviously translate more easily to TOS. Three come immediately to mind for me Lonely Among Us, Where Silence Has Lease and The Ensigns of Command.

Of course, Lonely... already has some TOS elements with the battling delegates being ferried to a diplomatic conference.

As an aside, I always thought the Voyager episode The Thaw would've made a great TOS episode.
How would that work, without the holographic technology of the Doctor?

I've always thought that the Voyager episode "Riddles" would have made an excellent episode of Classic Trek.
I assume you mean with Spock reverting to the same kind of simple personality. Perhaps with McCoy in the Neelix role?

Though they did do something slightly similar in "All Our Yesterdays".
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 01:05 AM   #17
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
I've always thought that the Voyager episode "Riddles" would have made an excellent episode of Classic Trek.
I assume you mean with Spock reverting to the same kind of simple personality. Perhaps with McCoy in the Neelix role?

Though they did do something slightly similar in "All Our Yesterdays".
Yeah, perhaps Dr M'Benga in the role looking after Spock.

Be some interesting stuff with Chapel too.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 01:45 AM   #18
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

I think the Enemy would work pretty well on TOS.

Except instead of Geordi being trapped on a inhospitable planet with a Romulan Centurion it would be Kirk. They'd work together to try and survive, earning a respect for eachother along the way, and then you could have a very interesting sideplot with Spock communicating to the Romulan Commander on the viewscreen, buying time and trying to tensely negotiate neutral zone stuff and trying to avoid a war.
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 02:00 AM   #19
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Except instead of Geordi being trapped on a inhospitable planet with a Romulan Centurion it would be Kirk.
Or maybe Scotty. For the scene where the Romulan commented on Geordi's parent permitting him to live blind, we instead would have:

"Your parent let you live, even though you're missing that one finger?"

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Except instead of Geordi being trapped on a inhospitable planet with a Romulan Centurion it would be Kirk.
Or maybe Scotty. For the scene where the Romulan commented on Geordi's parent permitting him to live blind, we instead would have:

"Your parent let you live, even though you're missing that one finger?"

pmsl
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 03:53 AM   #21
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

The Last Out Post

I wonder how Kirk would have handled the mischievous Ferengi.
__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 10:53 AM   #22
Mytran
Fleet Captain
 
Mytran's Avatar
 
Location: North Wales
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Using TOS comedy music I expect! :-)
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 11:53 PM   #23
t_smitts
Commander
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Looking over the TNG eps on Netflix, it occurs to me that "Hero Worship" might work with Spock rescuing an orphaned boy from a stricken vessel, who then decides he's "Vulcan" to suppress his feelings.

The difference, of course, is that Data wants to be more human, while Spock wants the opposite, so coaxing the kid towards facing his emotions might be odd.

The ending where Timothy thinks he destroyed the ship, but we find out it was their own shields could pretty much work as it did.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:49 PM   #24
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Besides episodes in general, I think it would've been interesting to see Data just in general on the show: An other-worldly character like Spock, yet much more innocent.
Data was taken directly from X'on in the Phase II handbook, who was supposed to take Spock's place (Nimoy was unavailable). He was supposed to embrace emotions, because he realized they made Spock so effective. "We'll have humor our of seeing X'on simulate laughter..."

Similarly, Riker and Troi were light rewrites of Decker and Ilia.

Many episodes of TNG season 2 were rewritten from scripts for phase II, due to the writers' strike. It definitely feels the most like TOS out of the rest of TNG.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:05 AM   #25
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Chain of Command could easily be done as two separate unrelated episodes. Part 1 would become a single episode of an action-packed spy mission. Lots of fun physical stunts for Shatner-Kirk. In this pre-imagining, Kirk does a successful escape, beaming out just in time. Jellico would still be the main guest star, butting heads with the enemy [random race] and Spock, to McCoy's dismay.

Former part 2 could open with Kirk already captured by a different [random race], physically and psychologically tortured by bad guy Madred, while Spock and McCoy try to rescue him. And Shatner gets to give us extra ham, hold the shirt.

And since we're fantasizing, my guest star choice works for either Jellico or Madred. I think it's a shame Leslie Nielsen never guested in 60s Trek. He would have been a natural for one of Kirk's old friends gone bad. He was popping up a lot in those days, often as evil authority figures. He had science fiction experience. Those who only know him from Airplane and Naked Gun would be surprised.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 02:15 AM   #26
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Many episodes of TNG season 2 were rewritten from scripts for phase II, due to the writers' strike. It definitely feels the most like TOS out of the rest of TNG.
I thought only one episode was a re-write of a script for that earlier, aborted series -- "The Child." What other episode(s) are you thinking of?

"Devil's Due" was also a re-write of a script for Phase II, of course, but that didn't come until season four.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:57 AM   #27
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain
 
The Grim Ghost's Avatar
 
Location: Thee Olde Spook Shack
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

t_smitts wrote: View Post
I can only imagine what Cardassian prosthetics might've looked like
I'm thinking they might have just gone with the pale white skin, slicked back hair and shiny black leather uniforms.
__________________
Life looks better in black and white.
The Grim Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:35 PM   #28
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Like biker dudes? Hell's angels. 'Masks' , Transfiguratons and The Nth degree would have worked well and Emergence - the higher concept episodes. Alliegiance, The Child, The Royale, etc.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 12:07 AM   #29
t_smitts
Commander
 
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Melakon wrote: View Post
Chain of Command could easily be done as two separate unrelated episodes. Part 1 would become a single episode of an action-packed spy mission. Lots of fun physical stunts for Shatner-Kirk. In this pre-imagining, Kirk does a successful escape, beaming out just in time. Jellico would still be the main guest star, butting heads with the enemy [random race] and Spock, to McCoy's dismay.

Former part 2 could open with Kirk already captured by a different [random race], physically and psychologically tortured by bad guy Madred, while Spock and McCoy try to rescue him. And Shatner gets to give us extra ham, hold the shirt.

And since we're fantasizing, my guest star choice works for either Jellico or Madred. I think it's a shame Leslie Nielsen never guested in 60s Trek. He would have been a natural for one of Kirk's old friends gone bad. He was popping up a lot in those days, often as evil authority figures. He had science fiction experience. Those who only know him from Airplane and Naked Gun would be surprised.
I wonder if Chain of Command might not be too cerebral for TOS. Seeing Kirk being tortured as brutally as Picard was, might make a more naive 1960's audience a bit squeamish. They might also wonder "why doesn't he just escape"?
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 02:04 AM   #30
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

t_smitts wrote: View Post
I wonder if Chain of Command might not be too cerebral for TOS. Seeing Kirk being tortured as brutally as Picard was, might make a more naive 1960's audience a bit squeamish. They might also wonder "why doesn't he just escape"?
This is all sort of an odd exercise anyway. Retrofitting an episode from a 80s-90s ensemble series of 9 players into a 60s show with 2-3 leads and lower billed supporting cast means major story revisions. Network censors and broadcast standards have to be considered in the context of the 1960s-- easily done, if you lived during it. The severity of Kirk torture scenes couldn't be as explicit as in Picard's. TOS did dabble with it a bit, using agony booths, neural neutralizers, agonizers, and various alien torture devices and experiments. "The Empath" was pretty brutal compared to what was being seen on other shows then.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.