RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 515
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 6 2012, 05:31 PM   #1
SicOne
Commodore

ST Communicator starship articles?

Periodically, towards the end of its run, there would be detailed articles in the Star Trek Communicator magazines concentrating on specific ship classes. It's been forever since I've seen any of those articles, but IIRC they were quite well illustrated and offered schematics and multiviews (not as many as the old Star Trek Magazine that began coming out post-First Contact movie, but...). I remember that the article dealing with the Nebula-class in particular was well done.

Begging pardon if these thoughts run astray of copyright restrictions and such (though it's my understanding the Communicator magazine has ceased its run), but is there somewhere online where you can view or acquire PDFs of those articles?
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: ST Communicator starship articles?

^If you're concerned about copyright restrictions (and bless you for that), you can find and buy the actual back issues of the magazine on Amazon or eBay or somewhere.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
SicOne
Commodore

Thank you for the Amazon link, [B]Christopher[B]. A quick perusal of those items on Amazon reveals that some are able to be inexpensively acquired although many are quite costly. I'm not above shelling out a few quid for the information and pictures contained therein, but not to the tune of $10-ish apiece or more. Were I acquiring them for collectors value it might be a different story, but honestly I just wanted to see those particular starship articles.

It does bring to mind two questions, however. (1) Regarding any specific issues I wished to purchase, is there any list available that indicates what ship is covered in which issue, and (2) could someone just have put up scans of those articles on a Trek website without legal repercussions?

In regards to the second question, I've seen websites in the past where it looked like someone put up scans of ship schematics, MSDs, what-have-you, that were taken directly from the old Star Trek Magazine. I have not, however, seen sites where anyone has posted, say, the Luna-class multiviews that appeared in [I]Titan:Sword of Damocles[I]...which makes me wonder if there's a copyright difference between material from a magazine that is now out-of-print versus a relatively newer book that's still floating around and being sold.

I guess I'm a little iffy on the "fair use" interpretation of such scans. Clearly, if you're copying and then attempting to sell the work as your own, that's a no-no, but I was unsure what permits fans to be able to post scans of works not their own on websites. With all of the writers and their knowledge of copyright infringement, this seems as good a place as any to ask that question.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 09:26 PM   #4
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

It would be great if they released these on a disc, à la the Star Trek comic collection.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote