RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,560
Posts: 5,423,085
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 513
Newest member: Dobian

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 6 2012, 02:09 AM   #1456
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

so how is the extended measure of a man? does it live up to the hype? do the re-inserted scenes add anything important or interesting? Or are they largely redundant/unimportant? Is the score of the episode altered significantly by any of the new scenes? will I ask another question? tune in next week, same bat time, same bat place!
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 02:22 AM   #1457
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Extended version is good and while the scenes aren't necessairily redundant I wouldn't say they're greatly important either. Some nice character moments in it, some more ass-hatery from Maddox in Data's good-bye party. Good moments but, overall, not astoundingly different.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:08 AM   #1458
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Again a feature of them switching to CGI and not staying "true" to what was previously established.
Having the nacelles glowing in Flashback is a mistake. But as for Excelsior-class engines glowing in the 24th century, I just assume they got new engines, no need to go continuity nazi on it...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:19 AM   #1459
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BrEnDoN wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Again a feature of them switching to CGI and not staying "true" to what was previously established.
Having the nacelles glowing in Flashback is a mistake. But as for Excelsior-class engines glowing in the 24th century, I just assume they got new engines, no need to go continuity nazi on it...
Eh... possibly but it seems odd that all of the Excelsiors we see in TNG don't have glowing engines but then as we see them in DS9 they do. So Starfleet drug their feet when it came to giving Excelsiors the new "glowing engines."

DS9 fleet shot featuring several Excelsiors (the non Ent-B variety, too) with glowing engines.

So SF took quite some time between the 2340s (when "glowing engines" started if we use the Ent-C as a guide) and the 2370s to upgrade Excelsior engines to the "glowing kind" given that all of the Excelsiors we see in TNG have dark engines and they started having glowing ones in DS9 probably around the time they went to CGI for effects.
__________________
Out of hope.

Last edited by Trekker4747; December 6 2012 at 03:50 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:35 AM   #1460
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
So SF took quite some time between the 2350s (when "glowing engines started if we use the Ent-C as a guide) and the 2370s to upgrade Excelsior engines to the "glowing kind" given that all of the Excelsiors we see in TNG have dark engines and they started having glowing ones in DS9 probably around the time they went to CGI for effects.
Maybe they got lazy and with the war with the Klingons and the impending war with The Dominion made Starfleet finally say "We should get off our fat asses and finish upgrading that shit..."
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:32 AM   #1461
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

In the bonus features, so much emphasis is placed on the VHS tape of the original longer cut of Measure of a Man that Melinda Snodgrass just happened to still have decades later, as if without it, the reconstruction would not have been possible.

I don't understand the big deal. They have the shooting script, they have all the film elements. Surely they could have figured out what went where, and approximated the first cut pretty well.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 07:17 AM   #1462
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I don't understand the big deal. They have the shooting script, they have all the film elements. Surely they could have figured out what went where, and approximated the first cut pretty well.
They're lazy. They need the tape for the iConform process...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 08:59 AM   #1463
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BrEnDoN wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post
I don't understand the big deal. They have the shooting script, they have all the film elements. Surely they could have figured out what went where, and approximated the first cut pretty well.
They're lazy. They need the tape for the iConform process...
It's not that simple. They probably documented the final cut of the episode, but may not have had the edit logs for the rough assembly.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 09:09 AM   #1464
Reeborg
Commander
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

1) So you're calling people liars now? I can make out the damned backwards NCC on the saucer when they run it on reverse angle. At ten feet, I have no issues making out the menu details including the episode titles.

2) You and your friends have some shitty vision if you can't make it out or your sitting a hell of a lot farther away from the TV than three meters. It's one or the other...
1) Ok Liars or having above average eye sight.

2) Sorry, but anyone who finds it normal to have these small menu on a otherwise EMPTY screen does either just not care about this bad menu design or is misleading people on purpose about it.
Or, as you seem to be the only person I've seen complain about it (relentlessly), maybe the issue is with you. Calling others liars is rather immature. Really, WHY would someone lie about this?

I've seen a graph somewhere on the web that highlights the best viewing distances, depending on the size of your screen. I can't remember, but I think 3 meters is a bit too far for a 32" screen. I'm that far from my 42".
What the heck...if people are strongly and repeatedly criticizing that in "this shot the red is not red enough" etc., I will take the time to state again, that the menu design is just ridiculous (ly stupid) by leaving most of the screen empty and making the menu text so small that a big part of (average eye sighted) viewers may have difficulties to read it. This is a basic mistake (to me) less forgivable than a (slightly) wrong mixture of colors.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:15 PM   #1465
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
In the bonus features, so much emphasis is placed on the VHS tape of the original longer cut of Measure of a Man that Melinda Snodgrass just happened to still have decades later, as if without it, the reconstruction would not have been possible.

I don't understand the big deal. They have the shooting script, they have all the film elements. Surely they could have figured out what went where, and approximated the first cut pretty well.
A LOT happens between the script and the screen. "Approximating the first cut" is a whole lot different than getting it right. Having the shooting script is basically having a Google Maps (or worse an Apple Maps) set of directions to a location. Yeah it'll get you there.... Sort of. But it's not going to be pretty, easy, or accurate.

Having an actual, physical, set of precise directions from Point A to Point B complete with landmarks and knowledge of traffic/road conditions? Something entirely different.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:34 PM   #1466
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Reeborg wrote: View Post
What the heck...if people are strongly and repeatedly criticizing that in "this shot the red is not red enough" etc., I will take the time to state again, that the menu design is just ridiculous (ly stupid) by leaving most of the screen empty and making the menu text so small that a big part of (average eye sighted) viewers may have difficulties to read it. This is a basic mistake (to me) less forgivable than a (slightly) wrong mixture of colors.
We hear you! You're not happy! You've put your point across (several times)!

People disagree with you. You're not going to change anyones opinion now so we don't need you to bleet on about it ad infinitum.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 02:20 PM   #1467
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

MikeS wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post
What the heck...if people are strongly and repeatedly criticizing that in "this shot the red is not red enough" etc., I will take the time to state again, that the menu design is just ridiculous (ly stupid) by leaving most of the screen empty and making the menu text so small that a big part of (average eye sighted) viewers may have difficulties to read it. This is a basic mistake (to me) less forgivable than a (slightly) wrong mixture of colors.
We hear you! You're not happy! You've put your point across (several times)!

People disagree with you. You're not going to change anyones opinion now so we don't need you to bleet on about it ad infinitum.
I really wish he'd quit speaking for all people of average eyesight. I have average eyesight (blind in one eye/average vision in the other) and have no issues reading the menus on a 32" TV at the distance he describes. My 32" is roughly the same distance from where I sit as his is

I wonder if he actually has a 32" set or if its a 22" or 26"?
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:12 PM   #1468
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander
 
Beta-Z's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
I [...] have no issues reading the menus on a 32" TV at the distance he describes. My 32" is roughly the same distance from where I sit as his is
Same here.
BillJ wrote: View Post
I wonder if he actually has a 32" set or if its a 22" or 26"?
Maybe he has set the BD-Output to 480p?
Or maybe the sharpness on the TV to -20
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 04:09 PM   #1469
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I [...] have no issues reading the menus on a 32" TV at the distance he describes. My 32" is roughly the same distance from where I sit as his is
Same here.
BillJ wrote: View Post
I wonder if he actually has a 32" set or if its a 22" or 26"?
Maybe he has set the BD-Output to 480p?
Or maybe the sharpness on the TV to -20
I've debated setting my PS3 to output at 480p to see if it creates issues with the menus.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 04:25 PM   #1470
Reeborg
Commander
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I [...] have no issues reading the menus on a 32" TV at the distance he describes. My 32" is roughly the same distance from where I sit as his is
Same here.
BillJ wrote: View Post
I wonder if he actually has a 32" set or if its a 22" or 26"?
Maybe he has set the BD-Output to 480p?
Or maybe the sharpness on the TV to -20
Absolutely LG is selling here TVs with 32" label but 22" real size or maybe it's 32 cm. Thanks now I know what is the problem.

If I would put it to 480p then the menus would become bigger not smaller (at a given point number/resolution of a letter).

What is "sharpness" to 20? Do you mean contrast? Does this affect size of the text?

If you really watch it on a 32" set (from 3m away) and you read the episode names and the stardate etc. below them, wouldn't you honestly say a bit bigger would be more comfortable to read it and it would fill the screen and bit better than now?

Let's laugh all we want, but in the end, making a menu like this with leaving 90% of screen just (practically) empty and the text small and lost as it is, it's just stupid.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.