RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,685
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 384
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 4 2012, 03:33 PM   #61
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: Titan and The Fall news

It's a fair question. There was another poster, a while back (maybe a year or so) that was really dissatisfied with the books and was rather bitter about it, and he and I got into a lot of arguments over it. After it went on for a couple months, I sent him a PM saying "Are you really enjoying this? It just seems like you're angry and unhappy all the time." He replied saying he hadn't really thought of it that way, but that yes, this was just making him mad, and he quit the boards to find something else that made him happier.

For that matter, I myself was active on Star Wars lit boards for a long while. When Legacy of the Force hit and managed to kill, rescind, or overwrite essentially everything I liked about the ongoing story, I was angry for a little while but mostly just left. Why bother?
Old December 5 2012, 10:48 AM   #62
JonoKyle
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
If (and I grant that this is an 'if') each book is a specific series, like the original 4 Typhon Pact books, we know there is DS9 and Titan, and TNG and Aventine seem the obvious two other choices, what could the other book be?

Another TNG or DS9 book?
A crossover?
A New Frontier book?
My best guesses ‘if’ it happens the 5th book would star either the USS Robinson (Sisko’s new command) or a political-based novel with President Bacco and the other leaders of the Khitomer & Typhon Pact members. But it would be good to see the return of the characters from the defunct New Frontier & SCE series.

I have liked the creation of the Typhon Pact so I hope this doesn’t result it disbanding. However with what has happened it could end up dividing into two separate factions – a non-adversary pact consisting of the Romulans & the Gorn and an adversary pact consisting of the Tholians & the Tzenkethi. It would be interesting to see which way the Breen & the Kinshaya go. I don’t know much about the Kinshaya but it sounds like they would support the non-adversary faction. It would be interesting to see which way the Breen would go as originally I could see them supporting the adversary faction but with the changes at the end of Silent Weapons they could easily now end of supporting the Romulans, seeing them as giving the Breen a superior ‘Military’ advantage.

It would be also interesting to see if any of the other non-aligned states got involved. The Andorians are pretty much still divided in both their anti-federation status and their recent actions against the Federation so could easily end up aligned with either faction or even end up aligning with the Khitomer allies (and possibly re-joining the Federation) due to the actions of individual Typhon states. I am not sure what happened but I thought the Talarians were originally going to be aligned with the Khitomer allies but it looks like this is not happening so it would be interesting to see if they end up aligned with either Typhon Pact faction. The Orions would have no love for the Typhon Pact after Silent Weapons, however with influence of the Syndicate could easily end up with either Typhon faction. Don’t know if their joining the Federation is considered valid, but the Thallonians could also end up aligned with the Typhon Pact given the ‘attack’ by the Federation in Blind Man’s Bluff. Also the Reman’s have history with the Romulans, Federation & the Klingons so it would be interesting to see who they would end up supporting.
JonoKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 11:41 AM   #63
Relayer1
Commodore

JonoKyle wrote: View Post
Also the Reman’s have history with the Romulans, Federation & the Klingons so it would be interesting to see who they would end up supporting.
Given their status as a Klingon protectorate and historical antipathy with the Romulans, I'd presume they would favour the Federation side of things, but with the changes in the Romulan administration there could be surprises !
Old December 5 2012, 01:34 PM   #64
Markonian
Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Given their status as a Klingon protectorate and historical antipathy with the Romulans, I'd presume they would favour the Federation side of things, but with the changes in the Romulan administration there could be surprises!
Are the Remans even still a factor? We haven't heard anything about them since A Singular Destiny. In STO, they are a major faction and have their own ships. (In Season 7, the Reman Rebellion joined forces with D'tan's Unification Movement for the New Romulus project.)
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:22 PM   #65
Elias Vaughn
Captain

>>

Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:29 PM   #66
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
>>

Hope not. Never found them particularly interesting in any way.
Old December 5 2012, 06:44 PM   #67
ToddCam
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Well pardon me for being repetitive, but I don't recall seeing it before.
Sorry, Therin! I didn't mean to offend you!

It may not have been in joke form. I just know I've seen it over and over again, where something is complained about, then reversed, and others complain, and then a third party complains about the complaining.

So, of course, I am complaining about the complaining about the complaining.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:14 PM   #68
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

ToddCam wrote: View Post
I just know I've seen it over and over again, where something is complained about, then reversed, and others complain, and then a third party complains about the complaining.

So, of course, I am complaining about the complaining about the complaining.

Yes, exactly. We know it happens within Nog and Jake's lifetimes, anyway. And I would absolutely love to see this go down.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:02 AM   #69
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I had the impression that it had occured relatively recently before that framing story.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:23 AM   #70
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
I had the impression that it had occured relatively recently before that framing story.
I think it was just that thew documents Nog showed Jake had been recently declassified, I doubt the files would have been declassified if it been recently there would be some sensitive stuff there.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:27 AM   #71
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Hmm, that 's true. Hadn 't thought of it that way.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:55 AM   #72
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I've really enjoyed the Typhon Pact 'series', has brought some different elements to the stories that make me want to keep reading to see where it all leads. Looking forward to The Fall big time.
Old December 6 2012, 05:05 AM   #73
JD
Admiral

>>

I totally forgot about that. I could see that as a very good possibility.
BillJ wrote: View Post
But then wouldn't that be a good reason to get rid of them once and for all?
Old December 6 2012, 01:47 PM   #74
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
>>

I totally forgot about that. I could see that as a very good possibility.
BillJ wrote: View Post
But then wouldn't that be a good reason to get rid of them once and for all?
Not if I have to sit through five books of non-sense to do it.
Old December 6 2012, 07:22 PM   #75
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I can't see them stretching the fall of Section 31 over five novels and five authors. Although if S31 is in the next movie, there may be some fortuitous Section 31-mania gripping the fanbase at the time.