Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 6 2012, 12:13 AM   #1441
Reeborg
Commander

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Salinga wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post
We made a test:

- A 23 old girl with laser corrected eye sight.
- A 33 old women not needing eye correction (says a recent vision test)
- A 40 old guy wearing glasses
Important is not the age, important is the sensitivity of the retina center. I for example have 130% sharpness there, thus can see much details even in long distance. I dont need a big screen TV to see details in a picture even some meters away.

Autistic persons even have a much sharper visiblitiy - they can see details 20 meter away, which normal people could only see in 7 meters distance. They probably would see every detail on a 19" flatscreen, where others need a 40" TV.
Maybe you noticed that age was just ONE parameter. I thought that the menu should be COMFORTABLY readable to every average person (with average eyesight and average equipment). The point is that the (menu) designers did NOT think in that (average/normal) dimension. Big fail. But Ok why complain on such a simple thing like (too small) text size (on a otherwise empty screen) when there are "grainy" issues to discuss.
Modifying the text size to being well adapted is surely too difficult and too much to ask for. I am sorry I feel so hard about it, but for me it's like developping a new (better) car engine but forgetting to put on the fourth weel. It's just ridiculous.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:15 AM   #1442
Ghostface1701
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sorry, but if (any) viewers say they could read it COMFORTABLY under these conditions,they must be lying.
So you're calling people liars now? I can make out the damned backwards NCC on the saucer when they run it on reverse angle. At ten feet, I have no issues making out the menu details including the episode titles.

You and your friends have some shitty vision if you can't make it out or your sitting a hell of a lot farther away from the TV than three meters. It's one or the other...
Or he's not watching it in HD at all.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:39 AM   #1443
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

So it turns out my Season 2 order was waiting for when I got home from Work today. Woohoo!
Old December 6 2012, 12:45 AM   #1444
Reeborg
Commander

Sorry, but if (any) viewers say they could read it COMFORTABLY under these conditions,they must be lying.
1) So you're calling people liars now? I can make out the damned backwards NCC on the saucer when they run it on reverse angle. At ten feet, I have no issues making out the menu details including the episode titles.

2) You and your friends have some shitty vision if you can't make it out or your sitting a hell of a lot farther away from the TV than three meters. It's one or the other...
1) Ok Liars or having above average eye sight.

2) Sorry, but anyone who finds it normal to have these small menu on a otherwise EMPTY screen does either just not care about this bad menu design or is misleading people on purpose about it.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:54 AM   #1445
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I got my discs yesterday. And correct me if I'm wrong on this, but didn't the Repulse in "The Child" have it's nacelles lit up just like the D's in the original version? In the HD it looks like the compositor's forgot to add in the nacelle glow, and it just looks like model plastic there.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 12:55 AM   #1446
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

davejames wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
In all honesty "we're not supposed to see that" as it's not "really there" or if it IS there a design feature of the uniform not the "zipper." As we all know zippers are obsolete in the 24c, they have "nanoseam" closures the clasp the uniform shut int he front. This is very, very nicely demonstrated when Ro takes off her tunic in "Ensign Ro" (further suggesting that there's a "nanoseam" between the top and pant of the female uniform to make it look like one piece. Meaning the two-piece look of the male uniform is a design feature.)
Ah, so basically they're supposed to be like those zippers around the neck we weren't supposed to see on the TOS uniforms.

Shame then that they were so incredibly obvious, even in SD.
Basically, at least in TOS, though, they were "less obvious" and seemed to just be design flare. In TNG they're very obviously "zippers." They could have hid them better by having it in the side of the uniform where the black is or something.

I got my discs yesterday. And correct me if I'm wrong on this, but didn't the Repulse in "The Child" have it's nacelles lit up just like the D's in the original version? In the HD it looks like the compositor's forgot to add in the nacelle glow.
I could check, but I doubt it. I don't think the Excelsior's engine nacelles glow.

HERE is a screen-grab from the scene on DVD courtesy of TrekCore. No nacelle glow on the Excelsior. Which makes sense, they're not supposed to glow so it's unlikely the model has that capability.
Old December 6 2012, 12:58 AM   #1447
Ghostface1701
Commander

1) So you're calling people liars now? I can make out the damned backwards NCC on the saucer when they run it on reverse angle. At ten feet, I have no issues making out the menu details including the episode titles.

2) You and your friends have some shitty vision if you can't make it out or your sitting a hell of a lot farther away from the TV than three meters. It's one or the other...
1) Ok Liars or having above average eye sight.

2) Sorry, but anyone who finds it normal to have these small menu on a otherwise EMPTY screen does either just not care about this bad menu design or is misleading people on purpose about it.
Or, as you seem to be the only person I've seen complain about it (relentlessly), maybe the issue is with you. Calling others liars is rather immature. Really, WHY would someone lie about this?

I've seen a graph somewhere on the web that highlights the best viewing distances, depending on the size of your screen. I can't remember, but I think 3 meters is a bit too far for a 32" screen. I'm that far from my 42".
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:11 AM   #1448
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I could check, but I doubt it. I don't think the Excelsior's engine nacelles glow.

HERE is a screen-grab from the scene on DVD courtesy of TrekCore. No nacelle glow on the Excelsior. Which makes sense, they're not supposed to glow so it's unlikely the model has that capability.
Well the Excelsior's nacelles were glowing in Farpoint and Flashback, so maybe I'm remembering other eps where they were glowing.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:18 AM   #1449
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

No nacelle glow in "EaF":

DVD/SD

BD/HD

It's not a feature of the Excelsior.

Now they may have glowed on the CGI ships used in DS9 and Voyager, but those instances are wrong. The nacelles on the Excelsior-class do not glow.

TUC Excelsior
Old December 6 2012, 01:18 AM   #1450
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Well the Excelsior's nacelles were glowing in Farpoint and Flashback, so maybe I'm remembering other eps where they were glowing.
The Excelsior nacelles didn't glow in Farpoint. They only glowed in Flashback (using a different model), and going forward in DS9 (CGI).
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:29 AM   #1451
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

jimbotron wrote: View Post
tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
The Excelsior nacelles didn't glow in Farpoint. They only glowed in Flashback (using a different model), and going forward in DS9 (CGI).
Here they are glowing in FLASHBACK an error in many ways, not the least of which being that the Excelsior's nacelles didn't glow in TUC, during which the past segments of "Flashback" take place.

HERE we see the nacelles glowing in DS9's "Paradise Lost."

Again a feature of them switching to CGI and not staying "true" to what was previously established.
Old December 6 2012, 01:38 AM   #1452
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

HERE we see the nacelles glowing in DS9's "Paradise Lost."
The whole nacelles aren't glowing there. Just the new front caps of the engines....the bussard collectors?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:45 AM   #1453
vorador33
Lieutenant Junior Grade

^ fairly certain thats a model shot and the glowing section in paradise lost is a result of the changes made to the model for star trek generations were it was used as the enterprise B
vorador33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:49 AM   #1454
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

vorador33 wrote: View Post
^ fairly certain thats a model shot and the glowing section in paradise lost is a result of the changes made to the model for star trek generations were it was used as the enterprise B
Yeah, you may be right there. Other screen caps show it to have the modifications made to the model for GEN. And it may just be the "bussard collectors" that are glowing.
Old December 6 2012, 01:54 AM   #1455
davejames
Vice Admiral

I remember on the ERTL model kit the glowy blue strip was on the top of the nacelles, but I don't know if we've ever seen that actually lit up.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote