IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 5 2012, 12:34 PM   #496
teacock
Admiral

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:14 PM   #497
Qutluch
Commander

The Q and the Grey

Q shows up in Janeway’s room in a cheesy red robe with red satin-heart-shaped-bed! Love it that he called her Kathy, and changed her clothes into a satin night-gown. Q has chosen Janeway to be the mother of his child? What a great opening teaser! Several great lines!

Q takes Janeway’s denial of his lust as her playing hard ball. When Janeway reports Q’s presence on the ship to Chakotay he almost looked jealous, especially when she told him about the “personal request”. Q bugs Paris and Kim for help on pursuing Janeway. (I love it that there was a guy in a “banana hammock” in the background when Q went into the holodeck program to get love advice on Kathy)! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Janeway has a new puppy! (My first thought, please don’t send the puppy away)! Why couldn’t she have kept the little guy, and spurned Q at the same time? The she-Q comes aboard and accuses Q of infidelity, or something like that. Lady Q accuses Mr. Q of being a 2-timing toad! Love it!

Q takes Janeway off the bridge into a “Civil War-ish-era” in full costume and setting! So awesome! What Q really wants is to end the Civil War by mating with Janeway. He thinks that mating will bring a new breed of Q, and an infusion of new blood/humanity. While I find this episode absolutely hysterical the premise is a bit off. Couldn’t Q just take Janeway’s DNA and make them a baby without Janeway really having to “do” anything? Also, wouldn’t Janeway want to take him up on his offer it was going to end the Q’s Civil War.? All she needs to agree to; is to be an egg donor. She could send her whole ship home; all for a little DNA. Her whole ships benefit or her pride? Why not at least bargain with him to see if another female on the ship would be willing to donate her DNA?

On a side note, I like the actor that plays “Q”, but I don’t think Q should have grey hair, and since he is this omnipotent shouldn’t he be better looking?

I have to say, I had high hopes for this episode. I really enjoy Q! I was not let down! There were some great one-liners and the dialogue between Q and Janeway was fantastic! However, the whole premise is a bit off. Q didn’t need to mate with Janeway. If he really thought a new line of Q’s would solve the conflict all he had to do was get someone to be a DNA donor. Couldn’t he just snap his fingers and make the baby? I feel like a line about just needing human DNA would have solved the plot holes.

Favorite part: Q: “Is it the tattoo? Cause mine is bigger!!” All the 1-liners were excellent; I laughed so hard!

Least favorite part: Why didn’t Janeway go for it, or at least bargain and ask if any other female on the ship would donate her DNA to send the whole ship home. Also, if the Q powers were not working how did the crew and female Q change into costume?
Old December 5 2012, 11:46 PM   #498
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Personally I consider the Q and the Grey to be one of the worst Q episodes out there. Sure John de Lancie is brilliantly entertaining as always, and definitely brings the best out of the material that's there, but it really was fundamentally lacking.

Really the concept of Q trying to force himself on Janeway... is just dumb and doesn't make sense at all. They're in a civil war, apparently because Q took up Quinn's pro-suicide banner and... the Q want to kill him now.. okay. That's dubious enough on it's own, especially when there is precedent to just exile people for this kind of crap.

So Q one ups blatantly trying to seduce Janeway as chauvinistically as possible, by kidnapping her and bringing her to Qland in the classic damsel in distress role. Then Susie Q flies them into a super nova because that... whatever... they get civil war guns, but they're really Q guns and kill everyone. Susie Q and Q have a baby and that makes everyone happy...

..what?

Really the Q have been reduced at this point to a cheesy dysfunctional sitcom family now and it gets even worse in their next episode.
Old December 5 2012, 11:53 PM   #499
teacock
Admiral

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
Personally I consider the Q and the Grey to be one of the worst Q episodes out there.
The worst part to me was the Civil War motif, very embarrassing to watch.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 6 2012, 12:57 AM   #500
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
Personally I consider the Q and the Grey to be one of the worst Q episodes out there.
The worst part to me was the Civil War motif, very embarrassing to watch.
You mean Robert Q Lee isn't your favorite Q?!
Old December 6 2012, 01:29 AM   #501
KarenLynn
Ensign

I quite liked this episode, but as others have pointed out, not for its wonderfully logical and coherent storyline.

I enjoyed it for the same reasons Qutluch mentioned, basically.

Their whole scene in Janeway's quarters where he's trying to convince her of his awesomeness cracks me up. Janeway's line "I beat out a single-celled organism?" - and her delivery - is still funny to me.

Also her response to Q's tattoo comment "mine's bigger": "Not big enough" - followed by that face.

I tend to like it when the crew gets out of their uniforms for once.
KarenLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:35 AM   #502
teacock
Admiral

Yes I love all the quips

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 6 2012, 04:21 AM   #503
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

My issue with The Q And The Grey wasn't the civil war motif, I enjoyed that. But it didn't make sense to me that the crew could hold Q hostage just because they were holding Q weapons.

I remember my first time watching Voyager. It was when it first aired. I started watching TNG very close to the end of the run, by that time I had seen most of it via syndication. I watched one episode of DS9 and that was The Circle, at the time I was 12 and wanting another TNG so I didn't connect with it at all. I was hungry for more TNG and feeling I missed out on following it week to week. Caretaker was exactly what I wanted and I felt it was the greatest thing ever. It was TNG 2, and I had no idea the show was going to be in the Delta quadrant, I thought it'd be just another ship show. I was really excited about Voyager back then.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:04 PM   #504
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

The Q and the Grey was an atrocious, illogical mess imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 07:57 PM   #505
lurok
Commodore

What a bunch of sourpusses I just watch it as a Bringing Up Baby/Gone With The Wind/Blazing Saddles mashup. Extra points for Plakson and "I'm not talking about the puppy."

Old December 6 2012, 08:46 PM   #506
Alpha Flyer
Lieutenant Commander

View Alpha Flyer's Twitter Profile

I agree -- it was meant to be a farce/screwball comedy, and succeeded as such. The exchange between Ms Q and B'Elanna alone was worth the price of admission, and the idea of Tom Paris holding a 19th century gun to the head of the Dear Leader of the continuum must have been a wet dream come true for Robbie McNeill. Sometimes it's okay to just have a laugh.

You are welcome to check out my fanfic at http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2537553/Alpha_Flyer
Alpha Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 09:05 PM   #507
lurok
Commodore

^
Old December 6 2012, 09:14 PM   #508
Alpha Flyer
Lieutenant Commander

View Alpha Flyer's Twitter Profile

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
^

Oh, and another thing. My bonus points go to the self-referential bit of Suzie Plakson (aka the ill-fated Mrs Worf from TNG) extolling the virtues of strong Klingon women. Now that's genius!

You are welcome to check out my fanfic at http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2537553/Alpha_Flyer
Alpha Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 09:44 PM   #509
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sure the one liner zingers are amusing, but they should be there to -enhance- the episode, not define it.

Tapestry is a perfect example of this. De Lancie's Q was hilarious in this one, but it really wasn't about that at all. It told a story about mortality and the how the consequences of the choices we make define us. What was this one about again?
Old December 6 2012, 09:52 PM   #510
teacock
Admiral

I was so put off by the civil war the first time I saw it that I hated it. Not the possibly ridiculous Q civil war but the use of yet another overused American history motif. Couldn't Q have picked a scene from the WWIII?

I remember in DS9 when they did the Bell Riots. Fictional history ftw.

BUT with multiple subsequent viewings I barely notice those parts because there are other hilarious things going on.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne