Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 5 2012, 10:05 PM   #1411
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
The addition of the collar definitely made them appear more professional.
But they're suppose to be explorers not bankers.
I'm pretty sure an modern military person would tell you that they are a professional doing a job.
But Picard told me Starfleet wasn't the military!
Old December 5 2012, 10:08 PM   #1412
BillJ
Admiral

The addition of the collar definitely made them appear more professional.
But they're suppose to be explorers not bankers.
I'm pretty sure an modern military person would tell you that they are a professional doing a job.
But Picard told me Starfleet was the military!

More seriously, we don't see military officers going into a situation in their dress uniforms. The season 3-7 uniforms just looked really out of place for the daily operations of a starship and away mission duty.
Old December 5 2012, 10:12 PM   #1413
davejames
Vice Admiral

I actually thought the change in uniforms made them look like bellhops.
Well at least it didn't look like they were having a pajama party on the bridge anymore.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:14 PM   #1414
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Nor were they any longer in uniforms causing them severe back pain.
Old December 5 2012, 10:15 PM   #1415
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I know I might get bashed for this but I think the Enterprise uniforms were the most realistic of the Trek uniforms. I liked them quite a bit.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:16 PM   #1416
BillJ
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Nor were they any longer in uniforms causing them severe back pain.
I understand the behind the scenes reason for changing them but that doesn't mean they looked better than the season 1-2 variation.

Besides, Frakes looks like he's about to go all Hulk on his uniform in season two.
Old December 5 2012, 10:17 PM   #1417
BillJ
Admiral

I know I might get bashed for this but I think the Enterprise uniforms were the most realistic of the Trek uniforms. I liked them quite a bit.
I liked the jumpsuit idea, but I didn't think the colors worked.
Old December 5 2012, 10:19 PM   #1418
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I thought they were fine for you guys running around operating the ship but looked out of place for first contact/diplomatic scenarios. If I was an alien race I'd think they hadn't made any kind of effort.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:23 PM   #1419
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yes, it would have made sense to have a more formal option for those kind of situations.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:23 PM   #1420
BillJ
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I thought they were fine for you guys running around operating the ship but looked out of place for first contact/diplomatic scenarios. If I was an alien race I'd think they hadn't made any kind of effort.
Different aliens are going to have different views on fashion. Compared to the Klingons, Starfleet looks like they're in dress uniforms.
Old December 5 2012, 10:31 PM   #1421
M
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
I seriously doubt that anyone agrees with you.
And? Are we only allowed to share our opinions if everyone else feels the same way?
Don't worry, I'm with you on this one: I didn't when I was younger, but now I really prefer the season 1/2 uniforms. They look like real space suits from the future could look like. Plus, I hate the elastic waist band on the 3–7 uniform tops. Somehow it makes them look really cheap.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:40 PM   #1422
BillJ
Admiral

M wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I seriously doubt that anyone agrees with you.
And? Are we only allowed to share our opinions if everyone else feels the same way?
Don't worry, I'm with you on this one: I didn't when I was younger, but now I really prefer the season 1/2 uniforms. They look like real space suits from the future could look like. Plus, I hate the elastic waist band on the 3–7 uniform tops. Somehow it makes them look really cheap.
I agree on the youth thing. When I was younger I thought those season 3-7 uniforms were sharp. But somewhere along the way, they started to seem really out of place for people working on the edge of explored space in, possibly, hazardous conditions.

I think it really came into focus a few years ago when I was watching The Enemy. Watching it I realized those uniforms were really inappropriate for work in the field and likely a pain in the ass when someone on the ship had to actually work.
Old December 5 2012, 10:40 PM   #1423
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I like the S3+ uniforms, they just looked more... like clothes. The spandex one-piece deals in S1/S2 just looked silly.

The Enterprise uniforms did look good as utilitarian, duty, uniforms that suggested they were in much more rugged time. But, yeah, not really great for meeting new species for the first time. They'd be like, "Are you here to greet me or are you going to change my oil?"
Old December 5 2012, 11:03 PM   #1424
Reeborg
Commander

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post
1) "Exchange" my 32" HDTV set for a much bigger one
or
2) Continue (as now) to get up from the couch and go towards the TV set when we want to read the menu.

You really have the much issue seeing those from ten feet? Might be time to invest in some glasses. Or just stick with the DVD's, because you can't be seeing any of the improvements if you can't make out the words on the menu...
That's for sure. Haven't had any problems with reading the menu on the 32" of my parent's, not even on a slightly BIGGER distance!!
We made a test:

- A 23 old girl with laser corrected eye sight.
- A 33 old women not needing eye correction (says a recent vision test)
- A 40 old guy wearing glasses

Neither of us could read the episode titles especially not the text below them (star dates etc) on a 32" HD-TV set from 2.5...3m away. Sorry, but if (any) viewers say they could read it COMFORTABLY under these conditions,they must be lying. Why make the menus so small when the rest of the screen is empty? And then even repeat this non-sense for all(?) seasons.

And yes, 32" is definately too small for really enjoying the HD of TNG, in my opinion.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 11:08 PM   #1425
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

A 32" HDTV is down-right tiny. I'm nor surprised you have a hard time reading the menu text from a comfortable distance. Heck, I've got a 46" set it takes some "work" for me to read it from a reasonable distance. (Though I do have 20/30 vision with glasses.)

On the set:

The "jump to warp" sequence we see from inside the ship a couple of times in this season does look nice and good. Wish it was used more in the series but I think it was only used three times.