RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,143
Posts: 5,401,941
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 405
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Silent Weapons.
Outstanding 37 43.53%
Above Average 33 38.82%
Average 11 12.94%
Below Average 3 3.53%
Poor 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 5 2012, 06:54 PM   #121
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

BillJ wrote: View Post
zarkon wrote: View Post
Oh, I agree

Maybe thats why the next miniseries is called "The Fall".
But does anyone care if the Typhon Pact does fall? It's only an alliance in the loosest sense of the word and I have zero emotional investment in it.
Presumably, you will care if the Pact does fall because it will have an in-universe effect on the characters that (I assume) you care about.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:01 PM   #122
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

zarkon wrote: View Post
That's kinda the point I think. I've never felt paticularly invested in the conflict between the two groups myself, maybe the editor decided it's time to stick a fork in the idea and move on

Gorn don't seem happy, Breen are under new management....the seeds are there if that's the direction they're going.
But to do five-books on the end of the Typhon Pact seems extreme. At least to me.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:03 PM   #123
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

That assumes they just go back to the staus quo. But I guess we'll find out next year
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:09 PM   #124
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
zarkon wrote: View Post
Oh, I agree

Maybe thats why the next miniseries is called "The Fall".
But does anyone care if the Typhon Pact does fall? It's only an alliance in the loosest sense of the word and I have zero emotional investment in it.
Presumably, you will care if the Pact does fall because it will have an in-universe effect on the characters that (I assume) you care about.
Who exactly would it have an impact on? These characters existed just fine before the Pact and I doubt the fall will change them in any meaningful way. Especially considering the books have been on a resurrection roll recently.

Worst that happens is Picard and Sisko retire. And we get Worf as captain, which would kill my interest in the TNG books. Or possibly something happens to Titan to cause the deck chairs to be rearranged.

But it won't be anything major like the deaths of the main TV characters.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:16 PM   #125
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

BillJ wrote: View Post
Worst that happens is Picard and Sisko retire. And we get Worf as captain, which would kill my interest in the TNG books. Or possibly something happens to Titan to cause the deck chairs to be rearranged.
I hope Picard doesn't retire anytime soon

You know, I've always wanted Captain/Commodore Data, but I do wonder if he'd simply be too awesome as captain

Like in Gambit and Redemption

He'd be great as a first officer to Piccy though, ship worf off to the empire
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:20 PM   #126
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

zarkon wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Worst that happens is Picard and Sisko retire. And we get Worf as captain, which would kill my interest in the TNG books. Or possibly something happens to Titan to cause the deck chairs to be rearranged.
I hope Picard doesn't retire anytime soon

You know, I've always wanted Captain/Commodore Data, but I do wonder if he'd simply be too awesome as captain

Like in Gambit and Redemption

He'd be great as a first officer to Piccy though, ship worf off to the empire
If they do move Picard and Crusher on, I could see them moving Riker and Troi back to the TNG books. If they don't, it would leave only Worf and LaForge from the TV series and they've struggled mightily to create interesting original characters in the TNG books.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:23 PM   #127
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Good call, I hadn't thought about Beardy. Him, Troi & Data going back would top up the all important(cover wise) tv cast, and would make sense since captain of the ent is the ultimate assignment.
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 08:06 PM   #128
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

zarkon wrote: View Post

I hope Picard doesn't retire anytime soon

You know, I've always wanted Captain/Commodore Data, but I do wonder if he'd simply be too awesome as captain
If you ask me, the first two Cold Equations novels, have very strong hints of Picard retiring soon. I don't think he will continue much longer than 2385. Either Worf or Data could ascend to captaincy, with Geordi as XO. I can't see the Troi family fetched from the Titan, who would command that ship then?
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 08:10 PM   #129
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Markonian wrote: View Post
zarkon wrote: View Post

I hope Picard doesn't retire anytime soon

You know, I've always wanted Captain/Commodore Data, but I do wonder if he'd simply be too awesome as captain
If you ask me, the first two Cold Equations novels, have very strong hints of Picard retiring soon. I don't think he will continue much longer than 2385. Either Worf or Data could ascend to captaincy, with Geordi as XO. I can't see the Troi family fetched from the Titan, who would command that ship then?
Whose to say that the Titan series goes on? They could simply destroy it while saving the characters they want to move back to TNG.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 08:48 PM   #130
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

pretty much

I like ree and the ent will be missing a doctor anyway

All works out nicely if that's the direction they decide to go
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:14 PM   #131
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Titan is the exploration series in the 24th century. Would you really want to give that up? Voyager is the only other 24C series not primarily dealing with the Typhon Pact.

It is noteworthy that without Titan only live action relaunch series remain.

And you don't have to kill the ship to get the characters someplace else (e.g. Tuvok fetched from Voyager).
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:26 PM   #132
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Markonian wrote: View Post
Titan is the exploration series in the 24th century. Would you really want to give that up? Voyager is the only other 24C series not primarily dealing with the Typhon Pact.

It is noteworthy that without Titan only live action relaunch series remain.

And you don't have to kill the ship to get the characters someplace else (e.g. Tuvok fetched from Voyager).
But blowing up Titan is likely the biggest bang they have left outside destroying the Enterprise.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:29 PM   #133
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I would prefer to see the fracture or dissolving of the TP and the consequences that result from how it happens.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:34 PM   #134
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I would prefer to see the fracture or dissolving of the TP and the consequences that result from how it happens.
Maybe we get another Taurus Pact?

I haven't thought of it this way yet - a fracturing of the TP doesn't mean every nation goes its way again. It could just as well birth two new blocks.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:37 PM   #135
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

BillJ wrote: View Post
But blowing up Titan is likely the biggest bang they have left outside destroying the Enterprise.
Nah, I'd rather see Captain Deanna Troi commanding the Titan by the 2390s (and Beverly getting her Pasteur).
Also, would Trek Lit really sacrifice the Titan? They have developed a ship class of its own for it, remember? That must carry some weight, some prestige.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.