Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 5 2012, 06:06 PM   #1381
Reeborg
Commander

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post
For season 2, is the text (font) size of the main menu still ridiculously small (especially for the episode titles and the info below them) as it was for season 1?
It looks the same to me. The "buttons" for the menu remain in the LCARS-like graphics on the edge of the screen with the center and bulk of the screen being mostly blank. They have filled it in with a "scanning graphic" of the Enterprise. But, still, it's a large empty area that'd be better used for the menu or episode previews.

I've watched both Q-Who and MoaM with the Okuda/Director commentary. Both decent and all but would love to have the text-only commentary from the Okudas on most of the episodes like the TOS sets had or audio commentaries from them. I understand their work in the projects makes commentary from them impractical but it'd be nice to have.

I watched "The Dauphin." Not an episode I really like but I was curious how they did the shape-shifting of the character in the episode. In the original episode it was done by painted cells overlaid on the film. In this HD version it seems to be a CGI-recreation which looks better with smoother transitions between the creatures.
Thanks for the info. This leaves me with 2 options:

1) "Exchange" my 32" HDTV set for a much bigger one
or
2) Continue (as now) to get up from the couch and go towards the TV set when we want to read the menu.

Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:07 PM   #1382
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
I also never realized that Dennis "Danger" Madalone was the security guard who got jacked by the first Borg in engineering in "Q-Who?" I believe he was also the goofy crewman in "Lonely Among Us" who Picard told to focus his thoughts and who delivered the goofy "YES SIR!" line thereafter.
You mean Where No One Has Gone Before
Old December 5 2012, 06:15 PM   #1383
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Reeborg wrote: View Post
1) "Exchange" my 32" HDTV set for a much bigger one
or
2) Continue (as now) to get up from the couch and go towards the TV set when we want to read the menu.

You really have the much issue seeing those from ten feet? Might be time to invest in some glasses. Or just stick with the DVD's, because you can't be seeing any of the improvements if you can't make out the words on the menu...
Old December 5 2012, 06:16 PM   #1384
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well it looks like I won't be getting my set until Saturday. Next time I may just to skip the pre-order and go straight to Best Buy the day it's released.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:24 PM   #1385
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Well it looks like I won't be getting my set until Saturday. Next time I may just to skip the pre-order and go straight to Best Buy the day it's released.
I do this for titles I really want. In the UK, this set isn't out til next Monday - when I'll be going directly into the city centre for 08:30 sharp to pick it up!
Old December 5 2012, 06:29 PM   #1386
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Fantastic so far, the FX "problems" and picture quality issues so far have been non-existent, chalk up the difference in look to lighting and film stock...but this season looks great so far after 2 episodes. The sound has been SUPERIOR so far to the season one set. I've watched maybe 1/2 the extras so far as well.

Last edited by RAMA; December 5 2012 at 07:16 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:34 PM   #1387
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
I understand that for "Best of Both Worlds", both parts are being done by the same company for consistency.
Great news. I hope the same is done for all the season finales/premieres.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:35 PM   #1388
RAMA
Vice Admiral

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I've watched the first two episodes

1) The inferior quality of the work is apparent. The main thing I noticed were the space f/x shots sometimes looking poorly composited. The other thing I noticed was a quite noticeable variance in the grain from shot to shot, something I hadn't really picked up on in season 1. I was aware of both of these things before I even watched the episodes, but my girlfriend who was not aware of these issues also commented on the grain in certain shots, so it wasn't just me noticing what I'd read about. To me, the grain is the bigger problem of these two issues. I shouldn't be watching the show and thinking about the variance in the grain. i am watching on a 60" TV, this issue may not be as noticeable on smaller screens. For the record, I'm not against grain in general, but I do think it's more important to have a consistent look to the episode. If you're going to DNR scrub, DNR scrub the grainy shots a little too so it's not as jarring. Or better yet, just don't use DNR.

2) SOME of the f/x work looks quite good, like when the Enterprise was launching probes into the void in Where Silence Has Lease. I thought Nageelum could have looked better though.

3) It's still a huge improvement over the DVD releases and I'm not sorry I bought it. I am however glad they are not using the same production house for season 4 and onwards.

So far, I much prefer the minimal grain in season two...Where Silence Has Lease looked beautiful to me..nice and sharp and very little noticeable grain, quite an improvement over season 1!!
Old December 5 2012, 06:37 PM   #1389
davejames
Vice Admiral

Salinga wrote: View Post
There you have it: Season 3 Trailer
Man, it's amazing to me how suddenly modern and timeless everything looks once they switch to the collared uniforms.

The show goes from looking painfully dated and 80s to something that could have been shot yesterday.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:39 PM   #1390
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Man, it's amazing how suddenly modern and timeless the show looks once they switch to the collared uniforms.

It goes from looking painfully dated and 80s to something that could have been shot yesterday.
I actually thought the change in uniforms made them look like bellhops. It's the season 3-7 uniforms that I think have aged the worst out of all the Trek uniforms.

The uniforms made them look stiff, its another change (along with the music and lighting) that I think didn't do TNG any favors.
Old December 5 2012, 06:39 PM   #1391
Mott the barber
Commodore

MikeS wrote: View Post
Mott the barber wrote: View Post
I also never realized that Dennis "Danger" Madalone was the security guard who got jacked by the first Borg in engineering in "Q-Who?" I believe he was also the goofy crewman in "Lonely Among Us" who Picard told to focus his thoughts and who delivered the goofy "YES SIR!" line thereafter.
You mean Where No One Has Gone Before
Old December 5 2012, 06:40 PM   #1392
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

This model shot (with cropping) rears its ugly head again in Unnatural Selection.

jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:42 PM   #1393
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post
I actually thought the change in uniforms made them look like bellhops.
Hey, bellhops are some stylish mothereffers...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:55 PM   #1394
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Man, it's amazing how suddenly modern and timeless the show looks once they switch to the collared uniforms.

It goes from looking painfully dated and 80s to something that could have been shot yesterday.
I actually thought the change in uniforms made them look like bellhops. It's the season 3-7 uniforms that I think have aged the worst out of all the Trek uniforms.

The uniforms made them look stiff, its another change (along with the music and lighting) that I think didn't do TNG any favors.
Think you're definitely in the minority with that opinion.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:59 PM   #1395
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Shit, look at Jack London in "Time's Arrow" he was the bellhop but apparently in charge of the hiring/firing practices of the hotel he worked for! Heck, he seemed to be the hotel's sole employee!