A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 5 2012, 04:17 AM   #16
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Re: Arnold is on board for Terminator 5 and possibly 6

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
wouldn't the movie basically be watching humans rebuild? that doesn't really scream Terminator movie to me.
Not necessarily. So far, the Terminator movies have only considered time travel in one direction - the past. What if a Terminator was sent into the future as a contingency? If SkyNet could not prevent its destruction, it would still have a chance of resurgence after humanity had let down its guard.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's what I want; I'm just trying to think of something other than retelling the same story over again.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:56 AM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

SkyNet isn't the Borg. It couldn't reconstitute itself from only a Terminator or two. Its mainframe had been destroyed. There's no recovery from that.

And besides, since the Resistance is qualified to operate the time machine and knew exactly where to send Kyle, it stands to reason that they would have detected it if SkyNet had sent a terminator into the *future* - they'd juat have to wait and then slag the thing as soon as it arrived.
Old December 5 2012, 01:24 PM   #18
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I think Schwarzenegger is now in a position where he should really try his hand as acting. For once in his career, he should consider signing in for a role that requires more than just charisma and stilted delivery. Who knows, maybe he would enjoy it.
Old December 5 2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Terminator sequels are like Highlander ones: EVERY one is a reboot. [...] (The original film was an absolutely closed loop, but all of the sequels ruined that.)
I love T1's perfect loop, but what is it in T2 that you think is inconsistent with T1?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:10 PM   #20
Luisiana Jones
Ensign

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I think Schwarzenegger is now in a position where he should really try his hand as acting. For once in his career, he should consider signing in for a role that requires more than just charisma and stilted delivery. Who knows, maybe he would enjoy it.
I think it is exactly the fact that he only does this kinds of roles, that he will be able to successfully do T5 and 6.

Regards,

LJ
Luisiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:25 PM   #21
the G-man
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
I hope they learn some lessons about how not to do a movie after the failure of Terminator Salvation. It will probably be best if Arnold plays the human that that Skynet based the Terminator on. I just don't see him playing a killer cyborg anymore.
Skynet's gotten sneakier. They are building less imposing Terminators that look like old men, all the better to slip in undetected.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:39 PM   #22
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I'll wait until JAMES CAMERON is back on board. Everything else is meaningless.
You'll be waiting forever then. Cameron has said himself that he has no desire now to return to Terminator, stating that "the soup has been pissed in." I don't blame him.

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Hopefully they stay in the future...no more retreads please.
I think the idea right now is that they probably are going to do time travel as a way to set up an alternate universe. That's fine by me if they're trying a Star Trek style reboot. I'm not sure if I care as much about the future war, especially if it's done as poorly as Salvation was.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:41 PM   #23
Saul
Rear Admiral

Cameron is too busy making his Avatar movies 2-9 to be doing any more Terminator. Shame.

Is Arnold actually on board? I haven't read anything about him signing up for it yet.
Old December 5 2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I think the idea right now is that they probably are going to do time travel as a way to set up an alternate universe.
They already have.
Old December 5 2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I think though that it's going to be more deliberate, rather than giving an impression of continuity. Besides, that the Terminator movies don't 100% share continuity with each other isn't exactly a novel concept.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I'll wait until JAMES CAMERON is back on board. Everything else is meaningless.
You'll be waiting forever then. Cameron has said himself that he has no desire now to return to Terminator, stating that "the soup has been pissed in." I don't blame him.
Well, he ain't wrong...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:43 PM   #27
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think it would be interesting to see Arnie as a Terminator that has been around so long that he has aged and learned to be almost human.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:56 PM   #28
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Just what we need, a 70 year old robot!

Let it die already.
Old December 5 2012, 08:27 PM   #29
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
As for this film: Meh. What could T5 and T6 possibly cover that the existing films haven't?
Well... there's always that which T4 halfway covered, then chickened out on: the final assault against/victory over Skynet. Featuring the T-1000000? I wouldn't mind seeing that thing in 3D again.

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Let it die already.
For such a first-tier franchise, the Terminator series really is in a tough spot to continue: Arnie's too old to play a Terminator, but not only would a reboot be virtually unthinkable (who could possibly replace him?), the series' whole cold war mindset is sorely outdated. And even if T1 were remade... so what? T1 is simply not a very big story; it's a low-budget techno-slasher flick, hardly a tentpole-sized sell to teenage newcomers or international audiences. The most obvious route is to do a more or less straight sequel to Salvation, but the movie would have to be damn good to overcome audience apathy toward revisiting the post-apocalyptic landscape that just isn't all that suited to sustaining a full movie.

Dream wrote: View Post
It will probably be best if Arnold plays the human that that Skynet based the Terminator on.
Aye, I think that that - plus a very clear marketing hook of "this [T5] is the last battle" is the best way to go; don't leave anything on the field in some vain/misguided hope for a T6. And keep it to a lean 100 minutes at most.

... Although, truth be told, at this point I'd be more excited about seeing Arnie in a Prometheus 2.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:09 PM   #30
Mike Farley
Commodore

I'm ready for TRUE LIES 2.
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote