RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,656
Members: 24,812
Currently online: 588
Newest member: JamesTKolkSB118

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 5 2012, 02:42 PM   #1366
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I noticed that in some screen grabs. That's... Not pretty.
Old December 5 2012, 02:52 PM   #1367
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Maybe not, but it is accurate to the original shot.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:00 PM   #1368
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
But they fixed the mis-placed "energy beam" from EaF why not fix this as well?
Old December 5 2012, 03:01 PM   #1369
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dac wrote: View Post
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...ler_hd_105.jpg

THE PHASERS ARE MISALIGNED! CBS-DIGITAL SUCK BALLS! CURSE YOU DAN CURRY!

On the upside, the 4 foot model actually looks quite good...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:02 PM   #1370
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
But they fixed the mis-placed "energy beam" from EaF why not fix this as well?
Well that energy beam was on screen for quite a while. These phasers are only on screen for a few frames...
Old December 5 2012, 03:55 PM   #1371
Mott the barber
Commodore

Just watched part 1 and 2 of the "Making it So" documentary. Excellent work all around. That additional Phase II footage was incredible and I though J&G R-S gave an excellent explanation of how the writers modified the script to fit in for TNG.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned... how touching was the portion with former script supervisor Cosmo? It's amazing after all these years how much not only the cast but the crew enjoyed working on the show. I also never realized that Dennis "Danger" Madalone was the security guard who got jacked by the first Borg in engineering in "Q-Who?" I believe he was also the goofy crewman in "Lonely Among Us" who Picard told to focus his thoughts and who delivered the goofy "YES SIR!" line thereafter.

Edit: One other thing: Anyone else think to themselves what "could have been" when they interspersed certain bloopers throughout the documentaries in widescreen? Some were pretty extended scenes (one in Picard's ready room comes to mind) and widescreen would have really given the series a more modern feel if it was feasible to do for the restoration. Don't get me wrong, I understand all the reasons why they couldn't do it, but it was sort of neat to see some of the blooper footage of the ship and crew fill up all 55 inches of my tv for brief snippets of time.
Old December 5 2012, 03:56 PM   #1372
Reeborg
Commander

For season 2, is the text (font) size of the main menu still ridiculously small (especially for the episode titles and the info below them) as it was for season 1?
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:06 PM   #1373
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
One other thing: Anyone else think to themselves what "could have been" when they interspersed certain bloopers throughout the documentaries in widescreen? Some were pretty extended scenes (one in Picard's ready room comes to mind) and widescreen would have really given the series a more modern feel if it was feasible to do for the restoration. Don't get me wrong, I understand all the reasons why they couldn't do it, but it was sort of neat to see some of the blooper footage of the ship and crew fill up all 55 inches of my tv for brief snippets of time.
I wouldn't be surprised if when it airs on tv it's cropped to 16:9, the Australian Sci Fi channel is doing that with the TOS remastered episodes and I quite like it. I'm currently watching DS9 on dvd cropped to that aspect ratio and it looks pretty good despite the drop in resolution. Hopefully there's more option for widescreen when/if they remaster DS9...
Old December 5 2012, 04:37 PM   #1374
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Reeborg wrote: View Post
For season 2, is the text (font) size of the main menu still ridiculously small (especially for the episode titles and the info below them) as it was for season 1?
It looks the same to me. The "buttons" for the menu remain in the LCARS-like graphics on the edge of the screen with the center and bulk of the screen being mostly blank. They have filled it in with a "scanning graphic" of the Enterprise. But, still, it's a large empty area that'd be better used for the menu or episode previews.

I've watched both Q-Who and MoaM with the Okuda/Director commentary. Both decent and all but would love to have the text-only commentary from the Okudas on most of the episodes like the TOS sets had or audio commentaries from them. I understand their work in the projects makes commentary from them impractical but it'd be nice to have.

I watched "The Dauphin." Not an episode I really like but I was curious how they did the shape-shifting of the character in the episode. In the original episode it was done by painted cells overlaid on the film. In this HD version it seems to be a CGI-recreation which looks better with smoother transitions between the creatures.
Old December 5 2012, 04:54 PM   #1375
senten
Ensign

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Edit: One other thing: Anyone else think to themselves what "could have been" when they interspersed certain bloopers throughout the documentaries in widescreen? Some were pretty extended scenes (one in Picard's ready room comes to mind) and widescreen would have really given the series a more modern feel if it was feasible to do for the restoration. Don't get me wrong, I understand all the reasons why they couldn't do it, but it was sort of neat to see some of the blooper footage of the ship and crew fill up all 55 inches of my tv for brief snippets of time.
I was hoping that the TV syndicated version would be 16:9 (like they did with TOS).

Syfy UK has been showing season 1 in HD for over a month now, I assume it's 4:3. Has anyone seen it?
senten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:59 PM   #1376
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I've watched the first two episodes

1) The inferior quality of the work is apparent. The main thing I noticed were the space f/x shots sometimes looking poorly composited. The other thing I noticed was a quite noticeable variance in the grain from shot to shot, something I hadn't really picked up on in season 1. I was aware of both of these things before I even watched the episodes, but my girlfriend who was not aware of these issues also commented on the grain in certain shots, so it wasn't just me noticing what I'd read about. To me, the grain is the bigger problem of these two issues. I shouldn't be watching the show and thinking about the variance in the grain. i am watching on a 60" TV, this issue may not be as noticeable on smaller screens. For the record, I'm not against grain in general, but I do think it's more important to have a consistent look to the episode. If you're going to DNR scrub, DNR scrub the grainy shots a little too so it's not as jarring. Or better yet, just don't use DNR.

2) SOME of the f/x work looks quite good, like when the Enterprise was launching probes into the void in Where Silence Has Lease. I thought Nageelum could have looked better though.

3) It's still a huge improvement over the DVD releases and I'm not sorry I bought it. I am however glad they are not using the same production house for season 4 and onwards.
Old December 5 2012, 05:29 PM   #1377
senten
Ensign

This is a good example of grain in a VFX shot from season 3 trailer: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...ler_hd_105.jpg

Compare with season 2: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...ild_hd_000.jpg
senten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 05:51 PM   #1378
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

senten wrote: View Post
This is a good example of grain in a VFX shot from season 3 trailer: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...ler_hd_105.jpg

For the comparison to work, you need to be comparing similar shots. Isn't the shot from season three used somewhere in season two?
Old December 5 2012, 06:01 PM   #1379
MickJo1701
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
senten wrote: View Post

For the comparison to work, you need to be comparing similar shots. Isn't the shot from season three used somewhere in season two?
The 4 foot model wasn't introduced until season 3, but the shot from season 2 was used again when the Enterprise orbits Jouret IV in Best of Both Worlds I.

The prob in that particular shot for me is the super high clarity Enterprise against the shitty low res star field.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:02 PM   #1380
davejames
Vice Admiral

Watched the first two eps as well, and as before I'm completely blown away by the razor sharp picture. Seems like you can almost see MORE detail than in S1, whether it's in the actor's wrinkles or in the little scuff marks on the carpet.

As for the episodes themselves, ugh. I knew The Child was a dud, but somehow I remembered Where Silence Has Lease being a lot better than it is. But now it just feels like another one of those tedious filler episodes from S1, where the actors stand around on the bridge the whole time while random weird stuff goes on for an hour.

As for the effects, I didn't really have a problem with how the ship looked, but I do think the Nagilum cloud could have been improved a bit. It looked a bit too cheap and cartoonish against the star backdrop, and with the way it kept opening up later on.

And what was up with that Holodeck grid?? The lines were completely uneven and looked like they had been drawn by a 5 year old or something! Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote