Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 2 2012, 09:54 PM   #1
JD
Admiral

Urban Fantasy: Vampire and Witches and Weres, oh my!

Instead of starting up different threads for all of the Urban Fantasy series I've been reading, I thought it would be more fun to just start one big thread.
Right now I've been working my way through the 6th Dresden Files book, Blood Rites and so far I've been loving it. The main case has been OK, but I've really been enjoying learning more about Thomas and his family. One of my favorite developments of the last couple books has been Murphy finally learning about the supernatural, and we've gotten some interesting developments on that front too. I got a kick out of learning that she had managed to take out two trolls all by herself.
I'm only about 150 pages into 350 so I'll probably post more thoughts as I continue.
Old December 3 2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Urban Fantasy: Vampire and Witches and Weres, oh my!

Have you read Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty Norville" books?

(Full disclosure: I wrote the jacket copy for one of the most recent books, but I liked what I read.)
Old December 3 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
JD
Admiral

Not yet, but it is one I plan on checking out in the near future.
So far I've read:
5 1/2 Dresden Files novels and one short story
2 The Hollows
4 Southern Vampire Mysteries/Sookie Stackhouse
1 Kate Daniels short story
1 Russian Watch novella
I plan on continuing all of those series, and starting:
Women of the Otherworld
Kitty Norville
The Mortal Instruments
Mercy Thompson
Iron Druid Chronicles
October Daye
Twilight Saga

Last edited by JD; December 4 2012 at 07:30 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 08:30 PM   #4
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Instead of starting up different threads for all of the Urban Fantasy series I've been reading, I thought it would be more fun to just start one big thread.
Right now I've been working my way through the 6th Dresden Files book, Blood Rites and so far I've been loving it. The main case has been OK, but I've really been enjoying learning more about Thomas and his family. One of my favorite developments of the last couple books has been Murphy finally learning about the supernatural, and we've gotten some interesting developments on that front too. I got a kick out of learning that she had managed to take out two trolls all by herself.
I'm only about 150 pages into 350 so I'll probably post more thoughts as I continue.
Keep reading.
Changes is going to knock you off your feet, Ghost Story is going to kick you in the gut, and Cold Days is going to take a sledgehammer to your private parts, metaphorically speaking.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 08:32 PM   #5
JD
Admiral

Good to know. I've read about some of the recent developments, and I can't wait to actually experience exactly how they play out.
Old December 3 2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Basically just the Dresden Files, the first 13 novels and Side Jobs. Haven't managed to get around to reading Cold Days yet.

My other series are entirely fantasy world builders or classic horror, in this genre.
Old December 3 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Obligatory shout out to the Night Watch/Day Watch/Twilight Watch/Last Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko.
Old December 4 2012, 07:27 AM   #8
JD
Admiral

I have Night Watch, and I read the first story and really enjoyed but haven't gotten back to it yet.
I'll edit my other post to add it to my list.
EDIT: I also remembered to add the Twilight Saga. I know everyone makes fun of it, but I watched and actually enjoyed the first movie, so I might check out the books. I haven't decided for sure yet, but it is pretty far down the list if I do.
Old December 4 2012, 07:44 AM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

I watched the first Twilight movie when it was on FX last month. One of the funniest movies I've seen in recent years. A great comedy.
Old December 4 2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

The Nightside series is an odd one, I enjoyed the series but it could get repetitive, the names and background details could be very imaginative but the stories themselves less so. The series is 12 books long and finished last January.

The Peter Grant series is a wonderfully written series. Starting with The Rivers of London it really should be checked out if you like Dresden. It's set in London with a newly qualified Police constable, who, after seeing a ghost near the scene of a murder gets assigned to the Met's Magical department. Book 3 was published this summer with book 4 coming next year.
Old December 4 2012, 08:38 PM   #11
JD
Admiral

I read up on the Peter Grant series, and it sounds pretty cool. I added the first book, called Midnight Riot here in the US, to my Nook wishlist.
I remembered another series on my list, the Sabina Kane series.
Old December 5 2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Another one that's worth checking out is the Remy Chandler series. It's another Urban Fantasy PI series. The lead character in it is an Angel who decided to take Human form after the war in heaven and had a thing for Raymond Chandler books. Reminds me I should read pick up the latest book.
Old December 5 2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Bast
Captain

The Blood Ties series by Tanya Huff is a fun read.
Old December 5 2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Caliburn24
Commodore

Just finished Ghost Story and will be picking up Cold Days shortly. Very much enjoying the series.

Does anyone have any idea how long it is supposed to last? I've heard rumors of 20 normals books, with a trilogy of books as the finale?

It has inarguable gotten more epic and vast in scope. It'll be interesting to see if Butcher can maintain the 'Chicago-private investigator/wizard' vibe going in Cold Days and beyond, considering what has happened to Harry.

Also, Mouse is the best dog ever. His subterfuge to teach Molly a lesson had me laughing.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Just finished Ghost Story and will be picking up Cold Days shortly. Very much enjoying the series.

Does anyone have any idea how long it is supposed to last? I've heard rumors of 20 normals books, with a trilogy of books as the finale?

It has inarguable gotten more epic and vast in scope. It'll be interesting to see if Butcher can maintain the 'Chicago-private investigator/wizard' vibe going in Cold Days and beyond, considering what has happened to Harry.

Also, Mouse is the best dog ever. His subterfuge to teach Molly a lesson had me laughing.
Jim recently said it's about on course. So 20 plus the trilogy, but Changes was supposed to be book 10 but was behind schedule.