RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,177
Posts: 5,345,082
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 555
Newest member: Counselor X

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 4 2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

While I'm sure they have extra footage in the form of alternate takes, I highly doubt more than a handful of episodes had entire scenes cut from them, let alone multiples.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:37 PM   #17
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

Dac wrote: View Post
While I'm sure they have extra footage in the form of alternate takes, I highly doubt more than a handful of episodes had entire scenes cut from them, let alone multiples.
No scenes do get cut short. Here's a made up example:
Full Scene:
Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Course 321 Mark 159. Warp 9. Engage.

Helm: Aye, Sir. Course Set. Engaging at Warp 9.

Riker: Red Alert! All hands to Battle Stations. Raise Shields. Ready Phaser. Load torpedo bays.

Worf: Shield up. Phasers and Photons ready.

What's shown:
Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Warp 9. Engage.

Ricker: Red Alert!

Worf: Shields up. Phasers and Photons ready.

See how the second versions tightens the scene?

Many scenes have a lot more dialogue than what's shown, editing out bits of it tightens the pace, while others keep in more of the shot scene to slow things down.

While yes there are alternate shots of the same scene, bits and pieces are cut or left depending on the directors vision of the episode and/or time constraints.

In The Measure of a Man the scenes added back did add some tension between Riker and Picard and showed more dimensions to Phillipa. At least I don't remember her acting like such a minx with Picard.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

Vanyel wrote: View Post
At least I don't remember her acting like such a minx with Picard.
It's there in the original episode but certainly more subtle.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:49 AM   #19
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

In anticipation of getting the Season 2 BD set, I've been re-re-re-reading the episode descriptions in Larry Nemecek's ST: TNG Companion. Here's what he wrote about A Matter of Honor:
"As usual, the show ran long and one cut scene used a miniature for the Bird-of-Prey's engineering room."

That would be interesting to see...
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Art Vandelay
Captain
 
Art Vandelay's Avatar
 
Location: New Vertiform City
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

I remember reading that the original cut of Night Terrors was nine minutes too long. It's hardly a classic episode, but I have a soft spot for it and would like to see the original cut.

Oh, and it's Blu-ray, not blue ray.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 01:28 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

Not sure I want to see every episode having deleted scenes added back in just to be doing it.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 01:43 PM   #22
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
While I'm sure they have extra footage in the form of alternate takes, I highly doubt more than a handful of episodes had entire scenes cut from them, let alone multiples.
No scenes do get cut short. Here's a made up example:
Full Scene:
Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Course 321 Mark 159. Warp 9. Engage.

Helm: Aye, Sir. Course Set. Engaging at Warp 9.

Riker: Red Alert! All hands to Battle Stations. Raise Shields. Ready Phaser. Load torpedo bays.

Worf: Shield up. Phasers and Photons ready.

What's shown:
Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Warp 9. Engage.

Ricker: Red Alert!

Worf: Shields up. Phasers and Photons ready.

See how the second versions tightens the scene?

Many scenes have a lot more dialogue than what's shown, editing out bits of it tightens the pace, while others keep in more of the shot scene to slow things down.

While yes there are alternate shots of the same scene, bits and pieces are cut or left depending on the directors vision of the episode and/or time constraints.

In The Measure of a Man the scenes added back did add some tension between Riker and Picard and showed more dimensions to Phillipa. At least I don't remember her acting like such a minx with Picard.
That's hardly what happened with MoaM though. 12 extra minutes of multiple cut scenes is nothing compared to 12 cut seconds of dialogue from a scene.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

Dac wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
While I'm sure they have extra footage in the form of alternate takes, I highly doubt more than a handful of episodes had entire scenes cut from them, let alone multiples.
No scenes do get cut short. Here's a made up example:
Full Scene:
Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Course 321 Mark 159. Warp 9. Engage.

Helm: Aye, Sir. Course Set. Engaging at Warp 9.

Riker: Red Alert! All hands to Battle Stations. Raise Shields. Ready Phaser. Load torpedo bays.

Worf: Shield up. Phasers and Photons ready.

What's shown:
Picard: Set a course for the Neutral Zone. Warp 9. Engage.

Ricker: Red Alert!

Worf: Shields up. Phasers and Photons ready.

See how the second versions tightens the scene?

Many scenes have a lot more dialogue than what's shown, editing out bits of it tightens the pace, while others keep in more of the shot scene to slow things down.

While yes there are alternate shots of the same scene, bits and pieces are cut or left depending on the directors vision of the episode and/or time constraints.

In The Measure of a Man the scenes added back did add some tension between Riker and Picard and showed more dimensions to Phillipa. At least I don't remember her acting like such a minx with Picard.
That's hardly what happened with MoaM though. 12 extra minutes of multiple cut scenes is nothing compared to 12 cut seconds of dialogue from a scene.
No but it does give an example of how things are cut to tighten the pace or slow it down or remove unneeded scenes to change a character a bit. As was mentioned earlier Phillipa was flirtatious with Picard in the final cut of The Measure of a Man, but was really a minx, tauntingly flirtatious, with the extra footage.

So yes some scenes are cut short, in every episode. Not just using one shot of the scene vs. another shot of the exact same scene. There is always more footage of completely removed scenes, scenes cut short, or dialogue removed than what is finally aired.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:55 AM   #24
FreddyE
Commander
 
Re: blue ray - further extended cuts?

The great thing with MoM is that the "new" scenes fit so seamlessly that I had a hard time telling the old and "new" stuff appart. Often the added scenes felt almost as if they had always been there. Which only shows how great the writing of that epi actually was.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.