Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 5 2012, 02:18 AM   #16
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Re: Fantasy Casting - Companions for 11 Doctors

One - Susan
Two - Jamie
Three - Jo
Four - Leela
Five - Peri
Six - Frobisher
Seven - Ace
Eight - Charlie
Nine - Rose
Ten - Wilf
Eleven -Amy
Old December 5 2012, 02:37 AM   #17
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
Four - Romana II
Methinks this one would remain a fantasy... From what I understand, their divorce was anything but amicable. Perhaps things have changed... but...
Old December 5 2012, 02:47 AM   #18
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

diankra wrote: View Post
ISTR that in Terrance Dicks's script Benton was supposed to be the sergeant who has to identify the Doctor for Crichton at the end of the scene (continuity mangling though that would have been).
Well, that really only would have mangled to continuity of "Mawdryn Undead," which has so severely mangled the continuity of nearly everything else it touches (and is rubbish to boot). I think that ship has already sailed.

But then, it could still have been in continuity if Benton had been a civilian in that scene like Lethbridge-Stewart.

In some cases, we don't have a lot of great choices left. But here goes:

One-- Ian. (I agree that the age juxtaposition would make this one more interesting than Susan. I keep having this vision of a recast 1st Doctor sitting on a bus bench next to Ian, the two of them slowly realizing who the other one is.)
Two-- Zoe. (As iconic as Jamie is, I somehow feel like Zoe would be a better fit.)
Three-- Not a lot of good choices here. I wouldn't mind Yates, Benton, or Jo. Barring that, bring in Lethbridge-Stewart's daughter.
Four-- alone.
Five-- Nyssa. (Or maybe Tegan. Tegan was more interesting generally but Nyssa had much more chemistry with the 5th Doctor.)
Six-- Frobisher. (Because the show needs more talking penguins generally.)
Seven-- Bernice Summerfield. (She can call out River Song for being a total rip-off.) Or maybe that Nazi scientist from "Colditz."
Eight-- Iris Wildthyme. (It gives us a way to use Katy Manning without bringing back Useless.)
Nine-- Captain Jack Harkness.
Ten-- alone.
Eleven-- Rory. (I think it would be funny if, in retrospect, Rory realized that he'd met several of the Doctor's previous incarnations before while living as the Lone Centurion. Like, when he sees the 1st Doctor, "Isn't the Maximus Pettulian, the famous Roman lyre player?")
Old December 5 2012, 03:17 AM   #19
diankra
Commodore

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
ISTR that in Terrance Dicks's script Benton was supposed to be the sergeant who has to identify the Doctor for Crichton at the end of the scene (continuity mangling though that would have been).
Well, that really only would have mangled to continuity of "Mawdryn Undead," which has so severely mangled the continuity of nearly everything else it touches (and is rubbish to boot).
Plus, there is a fan theory (based largely on Nick Courtney sporting a full head of hair in Five Doctors, thanks to a toupee, whereas he had a bald patch in the 'late' bits of Mawdryn) that the Brig in the Five Doctors was at his retirement party, in between season 13 and the 'early' bits of Mawdryn.

IIRC, John Levene was asked to do that scene, but didn't want to do a one-line cameo (there's a few other characters in Terrance's script who were supposed to be established characters in minor roles, but mainly Time Lords from Arc of Infinity, including Commander Maxil - Terrance having written the book version of Arc just as he was commissioned for 5Docs. In the event, the Castellan was the only actor who returned).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:35 AM   #20
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

IIRC, JNT nixed Commander Maxil because he was already considering Colin Baker for the 6th Doctor and didn't want to confuse the issue by bringing Maxil back.

But then, coming back in a subsequent Time Lord story is almost never a good move. The rule seems to be that, if you come back, you eventually die or go evil. Granted, it took several times for Borusa to finally fall into the villain slot but it seems to happen to everyone if they last long enough. (IIRC, the 8th Doctor notes in "Neverland" all of the various "noble" Time Lords who inevitably fell from grace-- Borusa, Hedin, Morbius, Omega, Rassilon, etc.)
Old December 5 2012, 03:36 AM   #21
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

IIRC, John Levene was asked to do that scene, but didn't want to do a one-line cameo
Shame that. IIRC, Frazier Hines credits his willingness to come back for a brief cameo in "The Five Doctors" as what inspired JNT to eventually bring him back for a larger companion role in "The Two Doctors."
Old December 5 2012, 06:10 AM   #22
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

IIRC, JNT nixed Commander Maxil because he was already considering Colin Baker for the 6th Doctor and didn't want to confuse the issue by bringing Maxil back.

But then, coming back in a subsequent Time Lord story is almost never a good move. The rule seems to be that, if you come back, you eventually die or go evil. Granted, it took several times for Borusa to finally fall into the villain slot but it seems to happen to everyone if they last long enough. (IIRC, the 8th Doctor notes in "Neverland" all of the various "noble" Time Lords who inevitably fell from grace-- Borusa, Hedin, Morbius, Omega, Rassilon, etc.)
And let's not forget Flavia's and Inquisitor Darkell's turns in The Gallifrey Adventures (Or was Flavia mentioned in Neverland or Zagreus?)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 08:37 AM   #23
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Four - Romana II
Methinks this one would remain a fantasy... From what I understand, their divorce was anything but amicable. Perhaps things have changed... but...
Yeah, I know, but one can still dream? Hell, I'm still hoping Big Finish will manage to bring them together. Apparently, Lalla Ward said in a BF interview a few years ago that she was open to it (so says many people in the audio forum at GallifreyBase).

Eleven-- Rory. (I think it would be funny if, in retrospect, Rory realized that he'd met several of the Doctor's previous incarnations before while living as the Lone Centurion. Like, when he sees the 1st Doctor, "Isn't the Maximus Pettulian, the famous Roman lyre player?")
I have to say that I really like that. Plus it would give Rory the chance to shine just a little more since I feel that Rory was always overshadowed by Amy.

Sindatur wrote: View Post

And let's not forget Flavia's and Inquisitor Darkell's turns in The Gallifrey Adventures (Or was Flavia mentioned in Neverland or Zagreus?)
I'm pretty sure Flavia was also mentioned in The Eighth Doctor's list.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:15 AM   #24
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Four - Romana II
Yeah, I know, but one can still dream? Hell, I'm still hoping Big Finish will manage to bring them together. Apparently, Lalla Ward said in a BF interview a few years ago that she was open to it (so says many people in the audio forum at GallifreyBase).
Heck, if it's audio, it isn't, strictly speaking, necessary for them to be in the same room together, is it?

I have to say that I really like that. Plus it would give Rory the chance to shine just a little more since I feel that Rory was always overshadowed by Amy.
I always felt like the great missed opportunity of Seasons 6 & 7 was that they almost never mentioned Rory's time as the Lone Centurion. I mean, it got mentioned briefly in "Day of the Moon," "The Doctor's Wife," "A Good Man Goes to War," & the "Good Night" short. But they never really seemed to appreciate the fact that Rory is now twice as old as the Doctor! I think, at the very least, there should have been a moment or two where Rory's long-lived experience of history would come in handy. (Then the Doctor, feeling a bit showed up & jealous, would dismiss Rory's insights because those all came from an alternate universe where stars never existed.)
Old December 6 2012, 05:26 AM   #25
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Heck, if it's audio, it isn't, strictly speaking, necessary for them to be in the same room together, is it?
No, it isn't. I think one or two of the Mary Tamm audios were done this way because of scheduling. We can only hope something can be worked out.

That being said, we know who Tom is going to be co-starring with for the next several seasons and none of them are Lalla Ward.

I always felt like the great missed opportunity of Seasons 6 & 7 was that they almost never mentioned Rory's time as the Lone Centurion. I mean, it got mentioned briefly in "Day of the Moon," "The Doctor's Wife," "A Good Man Goes to War," & the "Good Night" short. But they never really seemed to appreciate the fact that Rory is now twice as old as the Doctor! I think, at the very least, there should have been a moment or two where Rory's long-lived experience of history would come in handy. (Then the Doctor, feeling a bit showed up & jealous, would dismiss Rory's insights because those all came from an alternate universe where stars never existed.)
I completely agree. I was thrilled that they explored the married companions aspect but the The Lone Centurion was tragically dropped.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 12:09 AM   #26
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Dropped or only used for badass visuals, like in "A Good Man Goes to War." But they never really embraced the idea that you have a human being that suddenly has an enormously different perspective on human history. To be a man from the 21st century suddenly flung back to the 2nd century, and then living all of human history in the interim; at the very least, they need to write a book!