RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,396
Posts: 5,358,478
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 554
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 5 2012, 12:36 AM   #31
Tom Riker
Lieutenant
 
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Whelp, I'm officially out of it, she's taking him back and working it out. When it all went down, since he met the girl at the race track, she to sell his race care and give up racing, which he's not going to do. So nothing is going to be resolved. he's going to see this girl every weekend when he goes to race.

Start the countdown for the next indiscretion. Took him 7 months since they day of the wedding the first time. I'll give him a year this time.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 12:42 AM   #32
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Tom Riker wrote: View Post
So my wife found out Friday that her sister's husband has been cheating on her. they were married in October 2011 and the affair started in july 2012.

at first he told her it only happend once and that the woman "seduced" him and threw herself at him. Fine. An ooops I can forgive, but as it went on, it turned into a 5 month affair having sex dozens of times.

So at this point, i'm mad, I'm staying out of, letting them work it out. They are 22 are 24 years old. I'm not perfect, I'm not going to be smug and act like a saint.

But last night before bed I blew my stack. Her sister called and said they got more into it and he admitted to her that when he told his parents about it, his father said he didn't blame him for doing it because my sister in law is controlling and bossy.

Then.... and this is what has me posting here... and trying NOT to just go beat the fuck out of this ignorant white trash bumkin.... he told her the reason he cheated is because she is never on top during sex and won't do anal.

I didn't sleep last night. I think of this girl as a little sister and I just want to get my hands around this idiots throat.

Talk me down.
Talk you down? Screw that! Go take that dumb son of a bitch down!
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 12:53 AM   #33
Tom Riker
Lieutenant
 
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Tom Riker wrote: View Post
So my wife found out Friday that her sister's husband has been cheating on her. they were married in October 2011 and the affair started in july 2012.

at first he told her it only happend once and that the woman "seduced" him and threw herself at him. Fine. An ooops I can forgive, but as it went on, it turned into a 5 month affair having sex dozens of times.

So at this point, i'm mad, I'm staying out of, letting them work it out. They are 22 are 24 years old. I'm not perfect, I'm not going to be smug and act like a saint.

But last night before bed I blew my stack. Her sister called and said they got more into it and he admitted to her that when he told his parents about it, his father said he didn't blame him for doing it because my sister in law is controlling and bossy.

Then.... and this is what has me posting here... and trying NOT to just go beat the fuck out of this ignorant white trash bumkin.... he told her the reason he cheated is because she is never on top during sex and won't do anal.

I didn't sleep last night. I think of this girl as a little sister and I just want to get my hands around this idiots throat.

Talk me down.
Talk you down? Screw that! Go take that dumb son of a bitch down!
Now we're in full Jerry Springer territory where if we say anything to her she's going to get mad at us. I've seen this a thousand times.

My own best friend went through this. I told him not to marry his girlfriend because I knew all the stories about her, he got mad at me and we didn't speak for nearly 5 years. Shortly after she had an affair and left him, 2 kids and a foreclosed house later, he lives in a small apartment and is dealing with severe depression.

People are stubborn things. And it makes me mad that they just won't listen to me !
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:38 AM   #34
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Kestra wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
Wishing the best for your sister-in-law and everyone involved.



In the past few years I've seen many people say that people shouldn't get married before thirty.

as long as we're picking arbitrary numbers out of the air, I say people shouldn't own a car until they're 27.
There's really no reason to reply like that. To many people, thirty marks a certain milestone. People are generally more established career-wise and financially, and are more likely to know what is important to them. It's not some hard and fast rule and I didn't say that I agreed that no one should get married before thirty. I believe that there are plenty of people who know what they want at a younger age. But I don't believe that the number is picked completely arbitrarily.

Discussion is possible without so much snark.

It was a rather mildly sarcastic response to the post, and hardly a reason to react in such a thin-skinned and defensive matter. But sorry if you were insulted.


And I believe that the trend of later marriages has little or nothing to do with "maturity," which often has little to do with age. It's about economics-high-school and college graduates can't rely on decent and secure jobs anymore, so they can't settle down to get married or start a family as early anymore.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 05:23 AM   #35
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

sonak wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post


as long as we're picking arbitrary numbers out of the air, I say people shouldn't own a car until they're 27.
There's really no reason to reply like that. To many people, thirty marks a certain milestone. People are generally more established career-wise and financially, and are more likely to know what is important to them. It's not some hard and fast rule and I didn't say that I agreed that no one should get married before thirty. I believe that there are plenty of people who know what they want at a younger age. But I don't believe that the number is picked completely arbitrarily.

Discussion is possible without so much snark.

It was a rather mildly sarcastic response to the post, and hardly a reason to react in such a thin-skinned and defensive matter. But sorry if you were insulted.


And I believe that the trend of later marriages has little or nothing to do with "maturity," which often has little to do with age. It's about economics-high-school and college graduates can't rely on decent and secure jobs anymore, so they can't settle down to get married or start a family as early anymore.
I think there's the trend, possibly for the reasons you've stated, but then there are also who believe that people should get married later for psychological reasons. I was speaking of people who were taking about "should" rather than the statistics of what actually happens.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 06:13 AM   #36
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

I'll share something I learned years ago. You cannot safely criticize a person's lover, no matter how close you are to them. I don't know if it is a biological protection or something, but people in love see the criticism as an attack on their lover and will react badly to the critic. It will drive a wedge between the closest family or friends. All you can do is hang on and hope they see it eventually.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:45 AM   #37
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Actually, I was reading some time back that an increasing number of people postpone marriage but not children. They feel "ready" for one but not the other. Yeah, ridiculous. If you can't handle an adult, how will you handle a child?

Evidently, many young men want sex but are not interestd in marriage. You see that attitude in all the movies where the guy is 30yo but is trying to act 17.

At the same time, many young women want the big wedding they see in tv and movies, but think having a kid without some stable home life is just fine and don't want to wait to have someone in their life who loves them.

I understand this is a generalization covering only a (hopefully) small portion of the population. But it's...unsettling.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 08:08 AM   #38
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

propita wrote: View Post
Actually, I was reading some time back that an increasing number of people postpone marriage but not children. They feel "ready" for one but not the other. Yeah, ridiculous. If you can't handle an adult, how will you handle a child?
These relationships are completely different and not really comparable. It would be like saying if you can't commit to another adult in marriage how can you be a dutiful and loving daughter to elderly parents?

Marriage breaks down far more frequently than does child and parent relationships.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 05:20 PM   #39
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

propita wrote: View Post
Actually, I was reading some time back that an increasing number of people postpone marriage but not children. They feel "ready" for one but not the other. Yeah, ridiculous. If you can't handle an adult, how will you handle a child?

Evidently, many young men want sex but are not interestd in marriage. You see that attitude in all the movies where the guy is 30yo but is trying to act 17.

At the same time, many young women want the big wedding they see in tv and movies, but think having a kid without some stable home life is just fine and don't want to wait to have someone in their life who loves them.

I understand this is a generalization covering only a (hopefully) small portion of the population. But it's...unsettling.

this is a media stereotype of the "wandering guy" and the "ready to settle" girl. I just recently read an article that pointed out how inaccurate it is. Yes, as an overall trend men are more likely to want many partners before settling down(for obvious biological reasons), but the vast majority of men are interested in love with one partner, and settling down with a family.

Those kinds of stereotypes annoy me, because they're usually at the service of showing the more mature or responsible woman vs. the immature guy. It's lazy, and of course it doesn't divide that neatly by gender.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 05:55 PM   #40
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Ah, but the young women weren't being shown as more mature and ready to settle,. On the contrary, they had stars in their eyes about a WEDDING where they're queen for the day, but realize they can't afford it. So they have a kid, thinking it'll lead to a happily ever after life. Not mature.

Maybe not entirely their fault (or the guys), since pop culture has Ben leading tand pushing them in that direction for quite a while. Anyone who can't or chooses not to think and plan their life a bit is vulnerable to just following along.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 09:21 AM   #41
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

teacake wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
Actually, I was reading some time back that an increasing number of people postpone marriage but not children. They feel "ready" for one but not the other. Yeah, ridiculous. If you can't handle an adult, how will you handle a child?
These relationships are completely different and not really comparable. It would be like saying if you can't commit to another adult in marriage how can you be a dutiful and loving daughter to elderly parents?

Marriage breaks down far more frequently than does child and parent relationships.
I know plenty of people with divorced parents who took the whole thing easy and were not emotionally crippled by it.

Last edited by Drago-Kazov; December 6 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 01:42 PM   #42
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
Actually, I was reading some time back that an increasing number of people postpone marriage but not children. They feel "ready" for one but not the other. Yeah, ridiculous. If you can't handle an adult, how will you handle a child?
These relationships are completely different and not really comparable. It would be like saying if you can't commit to another adult in marriage how can you be a dutiful and loving daughter to elderly parents?

Marriage breaks down far more frequently than does child and parent relationships.
I know plenty of people with diverced parents who took the whole thing easy and were not emotionally crippled by it.
Hell, there's those of us (raises hand) that would have had a far better life had their parents got divorced instead of staying together in a loveless (at times violent) marriage out of some sense of (1) not letting the other one "win" (2) "You don't get divorced, that's not proper".
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 12:20 AM   #43
Kirby
Rear Admiral
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Location: Alt: 5280
View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

These relationships are completely different and not really comparable. It would be like saying if you can't commit to another adult in marriage how can you be a dutiful and loving daughter to elderly parents?

Marriage breaks down far more frequently than does child and parent relationships.
I know plenty of people with diverced parents who took the whole thing easy and were not emotionally crippled by it.
Hell, there's those of us (raises hand) that would have had a far better life had their parents got divorced instead of staying together in a loveless (at times violent) marriage out of some sense of (1) not letting the other one "win" (2) "You don't get divorced, that's not proper".
My parents finally separated during my senior year in High School. It never got violent, but the non-stop arguing was awful. Of course by the time they did separate, I had school, sports, a job, car, girlfriend so I was hardly home anyway, but when I was home, it was quiet.
__________________
Henderson!!!!
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 04:06 PM   #44
siskokid888
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

sonak wrote: View Post
siskokid888 wrote: View Post
22 and 24 and they got MARRIED? Ridiculous age to even consider it, and you see the result. People have to start wising up and wait until they reach real maturity before they even consider marriage. Simply put, this is the kind of thing that happens when kids get married.

um, what? 22 year-olds have often either been working full-time for a few years, served in the military, or are about to finish college. As recently as thirty years ago, it was probably around the average age to get married.
That's fine, but it has nothing to do with making a lifelong committment to another person. Of course there are very mature 22 year olds. There are a hell of a lot more immature 22 year olds. I dont have the numbers, but I;m sure they would show a correlation between age and length of marriage. In today's world, I wouldn't even think of marriage until I was 30, at least.
__________________
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 06:03 PM   #45
E-DUB
Captain
 
Re: I gotta vent, because this is outrageous.

Guys who are into anal are into causing pain, if she's up for it, fine. If not, that's her call. As for the "getting on top" thing, well that should be up for negotiation.

But guys who stray are looking for something that they're not getting at home and if he's out putting it in strange places, he's going to bring home something besides flowers, if you catch my drift.

Having said that, however, there's not much you can do other trhan make it clear that you're there to be supportive if and when she decides to leave the guy.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.