IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 4 2012, 06:24 AM   #91
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Re: Do the Homeless Get Free Medical Treatment at American Hospitals?

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
I realize what the value of anecdotal evidence is (read: virtually none), on both sides of the issue. However, we are all colored by our own experiences.

All I can tell you is this: I live in the United States. I have not had health insurance for many years. And health care, including routine preventative, what we call "urgent care," and emergency, has never been denied to me because of my ability to pay. Doctors, urgent care centers, hospitals... all have been willing to work with me as someone who did not have health insurance and could not simply fork over thousands of dollars out of pocket. In some cases, it was by setting up payment plans that I could manage. In other cases, it was by reducing the bill by a substantial amount. On a daily basis, I have to take an extremely expensive medication that the maker, AstraZeneca, provides to me at absolutely no cost because I can't afford it on my own.

In short, I have found the notion of being denied health care in the United States because you can't afford it to be as much of a myth as many of you claim to have found things about 'socialized' systems to be myths.
All I can say is, you've been very fortunate in your experiences.
He's not alone. I've done the same many times and I know many people who are able to do the same.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 02:39 PM   #92
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
I realize what the value of anecdotal evidence is (read: virtually none), on both sides of the issue. However, we are all colored by our own experiences.

All I can tell you is this: I live in the United States. I have not had health insurance for many years. And health care, including routine preventative, what we call "urgent care," and emergency, has never been denied to me because of my ability to pay. Doctors, urgent care centers, hospitals... all have been willing to work with me as someone who did not have health insurance and could not simply fork over thousands of dollars out of pocket. In some cases, it was by setting up payment plans that I could manage. In other cases, it was by reducing the bill by a substantial amount. On a daily basis, I have to take an extremely expensive medication that the maker, AstraZeneca, provides to me at absolutely no cost because I can't afford it on my own.

In short, I have found the notion of being denied health care in the United States because you can't afford it to be as much of a myth as many of you claim to have found things about 'socialized' systems to be myths.
He's not alone. I've done the same many times and I know many people who are able to do the same.
What do you want me to say? "Good for you"? Is that your argument against universal coverage? I'm not buying it.

You are lucky that it works for you, and it's certainly fortunate for those who can get by purely on cash, but that is not everyone, and we shouldn't leave them out in the cold just because you are already taken care of.

By that logic, I shouldn't want any changes at all, because I already have coverage, so why should I give a shit about anyone else?

The level of selfishness on display by opponents of universal coverage really is astonishing sometimes.
Old December 4 2012, 11:48 PM   #93
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

What do you want me to say? "Good for you"? Is that your argument against universal coverage? I'm not buying it.

You are lucky that it works for you, and it's certainly fortunate for those who can get by purely on cash, but that is not everyone, and we shouldn't leave them out in the cold just because you are already taken care of.

By that logic, I shouldn't want any changes at all, because I already have coverage, so why should I give a shit about anyone else?

The level of selfishness on display by opponents of universal coverage really is astonishing sometimes.
Who said I was taken care of? Ever since the ACA was passed my costs and many other people's costs have risen considerably. How is that helping? UHC will make things worse quality wise. If things are expensive now they will be outragously so with UHC.
Old December 5 2012, 12:01 AM   #94
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Who said I was taken care of? Ever since the ACA was passed my costs and many other people's costs have risen considerably. How is that helping? UHC will make things worse quality wise. If things are expensive now they will be outragously so with UHC.
It's not Universal Healthcare. Also, it's still going into effect. Your increasing costs aren't being caused by that.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:53 AM   #95
nightwind1
Commodore

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post

It's not Universal Healthcare. Also, it's still going into effect. Your increasing costs aren't being caused by that.
Exactly.

I think their costs are going up because of all of the people taking advantage of "free" healthcare, and the healthcare providers jacking prices to make up for it.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:25 AM   #96
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post

Exactly.

I think their costs are going up because of all of the people taking advantage of "free" healthcare, and the healthcare providers jacking prices to make up for it.
Not really.
Old December 5 2012, 04:33 AM   #97
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Exactly.

Not really.
How dare they insure young, healthy people against the future, where they may develop health problems that come with older age! Why, that's almost the entire purpose of health insurance!

Seriously, the article states that benefits will improve for young people, though at the same time, rates may rise for some. You know what that money will do? Help you. You know, because you'll be in the same system. It's just common sense.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Old December 5 2012, 04:48 AM   #98
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Exactly.

Not really.
How dare they insure young, healthy people against the future, where they may develop health problems that come with older age! Why, that's almost the entire purpose of health insurance!

Seriously, the article states that benefits will improve for young people, though at the same time, rates may rise for some. You know what that money will do? Help you. You know, because you'll be in the same system. It's just common sense.
A system I can barely afford and may soon not be able to afford. Again I ask how is that a good thing? Did you notice how the article does not address people in my situation?
Old December 5 2012, 04:49 AM   #99
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

A system I can barely afford and may soon not be able to afford. Again I ask how is that a good thing? Did you notice how the article does not address people in my situation?
Because the article is about healthy, young people. Are you either of these things?
Old December 5 2012, 04:57 AM   #100
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Because the article is about healthy, young people. Are you either of these things?
And that's the point. ACA will screw over people like me and families with children like me.
Old December 5 2012, 05:16 AM   #101
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

And that's the point. ACA will screw over people like me and families with children like me.
How? Provide actual details, otherwise I'm calling bullshit.
Old December 5 2012, 05:34 AM   #102
nightwind1
Commodore

Let's see something that shows that definitively, rather than just your imagination.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 05:36 AM   #103
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Post proof or retract, please.
Old December 5 2012, 02:35 PM   #104
teya
Vice Admiral

No, it won't. You'll be eligible for insurance thru the exchanges.

As will I, when I retire at 60. And retirement at 60 means I can work the day job remotely from my farm, start my business on my farm, and produce a few jobs. Not a lot of jobs, but a few in an area that desperately needs every job it can produce.

I know quite a few people who plan to take the skills they've gained through a lifetime of working for someone else & start a business of their own. Few of us make it to 60 without a pre-existing condition that makes us uninsurable on the open market.

With a true universal healthcare system, we wouldn't be tied to those employers & would have been able to start our businesses earlier.

As for providers raising prices now... I've only heard anecdotal evidence on that. So I'll provide anecdotal evidence to the contrary: although 60 percent of our contracts are commercial & pay us on percentage of charges, we raised rates this year only on procedures where our charges were less than what Medicare pays or where the charge for a given procedure was inconsistent across the system. There's no reason a CT done in one location in a hospital system should be cheaper than the one done across the street. The patient doesn't get the choice of what scanner they're scheduled in, so charge discrepancies are unfair to the patient.
Old December 5 2012, 03:30 PM   #105
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

teya wrote: View Post

No, it won't. You'll be eligible for insurance thru the exchanges.

As will I, when I retire at 60. And retirement at 60 means I can work the day job remotely from my farm, start my business on my farm, and produce a few jobs. Not a lot of jobs, but a few in an area that desperately needs every job it can produce.

I know quite a few people who plan to take the skills they've gained through a lifetime of working for someone else & start a business of their own. Few of us make it to 60 without a pre-existing condition that makes us uninsurable on the open market.

With a true universal healthcare system, we wouldn't be tied to those employers & would have been able to start our businesses earlier.

As for providers raising prices now... I've only heard anecdotal evidence on that. So I'll provide anecdotal evidence to the contrary: although 60 percent of our contracts are commercial & pay us on percentage of charges, we raised rates this year only on procedures where our charges were less than what Medicare pays or where the charge for a given procedure was inconsistent across the system. There's no reason a CT done in one location in a hospital system should be cheaper than the one done across the street. The patient doesn't get the choice of what scanner they're scheduled in, so charge discrepancies are unfair to the patient.
Here's my anecdata: I've had my employer-provided policy come up for renewal a couple times since Obamacare was passed. My employer doesn't cover very much of it, so any increases are felt by me pretty directly. Without giving exact amounts, here's how my insurance costs increased each year since 2009:

2010: 12.6% increase over 2009
2011: 15.5% increase over 2010 (a lot of that due to a switch to another insurance company)
2012: 7.8% increase over 2011

No word yet on what the 2013 rates will be like, though the rumblings I hear indicate it won't be a steep increase. Talking to my fellow employees, they were seeing at least 10%+ increases every year before Obamacare, too.

All that's happening now is insurers jacking up rates and blaming Obamacare for it, when in reality they'd have raised the rates regardless because that's the way the industry is going, for a whole host of reasons. I'm not saying the Affordable Care Act has had no impact on rates, but to singlehandedly blame them for all recent-year rate increases is just pure hogwash.