Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 4 2012, 08:18 AM   #586
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

tighr wrote: View Post
I just realized that with the Broncos winning the AFC West, Peyton Manning has now been a division champion 9 times in his 14 (playing) seasons, and been to the postseason 12 times. The only years he didn't go to the postseason were 1998, 2001, and 2011.
Yep, and since he was out of action in 2011, that gives him 10 consecutive playing seasons in which he made it to the playoffs.

Brady (who missed 2008) is just behind him with 9.
Old December 4 2012, 01:01 PM   #587
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Brady (who missed 2008) is just behind him with 9.
I don't count the 6 or 7 minutes he played that year either.

I was fired up for 2008 after SB XLII and in the course of a few plays, the season was done.

My new superstition - never put together a futon during a Pats game. No correlation I'm sure, just happened to be what I was doing at the time.

Oh, and fuck you Bernard Pollard. Brady, Welker, Gronk - why are you always nearby when a key Patriot gets hurt.
Old December 4 2012, 09:56 PM   #588
Use of Time
Commodore

You knew the season was done? Good gracious they were 11-5 that year. I don't think many people are going to share your misery for the Patriots in the Bellichek era.
Old December 4 2012, 11:10 PM   #589
Skywalker
Admiral

Smoothie is just a very dramatic person. I figured the season was probably done when Brady went down, too, but 2008 turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I really didn't expect the team to go 11-5 without Brady. It's crazy that they managed that record but still missed out on the playoffs.
Old December 4 2012, 11:24 PM   #590
Use of Time
Commodore

Yeah, that was kind of a freak year as far as the way the rest of the AFC shaped up. 11-5 gets you into the post season 9 times out of 10.
Old December 5 2012, 12:44 AM   #591
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Smoothie is just a very dramatic person. I figured the season was probably done when Brady went down, too, but 2008 turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I really didn't expect the team to go 11-5 without Brady. It's crazy that they managed that record but still missed out on the playoffs.
Ummm...they didn't make the playoffs or win the division.

I went to both the Rams game and the Cardinals game that season, and kinda have an interest in Matt Cassel doing well.
Old December 5 2012, 01:45 AM   #592
Skywalker
Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Ummm...they didn't make the playoffs or win the division.
Obviously. That they almost managed to do both even without Brady still made it a worthwhile season. When Brady went down I was expecting their record to be 5-11, not 11-5.
Old December 5 2012, 04:01 PM   #593
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Rex Ryan announced this morning that Sanchez would be his starter this weekend. And the running parody of an NFL team called the Jets continues.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old December 5 2012, 04:26 PM   #594
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I wonder how short the leash on Sanchez will be?

I heard a theory on ESPN Radio this morning that it's in Rex's best interest to stick with Sanchez. If they stink, at the end of the year he can tell mgmt it's because he had no QB. If he starts rotating Tebow or McElroy and they still stink, mgmt can point the finger at him for not being able to win with anyone.
Old December 5 2012, 04:34 PM   #595
tighr
Commodore

I heard a theory on ESPN Radio this morning that it's in Rex's best interest to stick with Sanchez. If they stink, at the end of the year he can tell mgmt it's because he had no QB. If he starts rotating Tebow or McElroy and they still stink, mgmt can point the finger at him for not being able to win with anyone.
He'll still have the ace up his sleeve that mgmt failed to acquire any wide receivers for his pedestrian quarterbacks to throw to.
Old December 5 2012, 06:18 PM   #596
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Rex Ryan announced this morning that Sanchez would be his starter this weekend. And the running parody of an NFL team called the Jets continues.
Makes me want to pick up Jacksonville's defense in fantasy football.
Old December 5 2012, 07:05 PM   #597
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

^How many points do you earn for a buttfumble?
Old December 5 2012, 07:43 PM   #598
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

I heard this morning that Urlacher is out for 2-4 weeks with a hamstring injury. My poor Bears seem to have this problem as of late...a key player gets hurt and the rest of the team goes downhill.

I'm hopeful the Bears do make the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath for them to go very far once they get there. Sigh
Old December 5 2012, 08:24 PM   #599
Roger Wilco
Admiral

^^
I have no data to back this up, but my instinct is that once you're in the playoffs it's pretty much a crapshoot. I mean if you're in the Wild Card Round it's three wins to the Super Bowl, if you have a first round bye it's two wins. Anything's possible in three games, especially at this level of competition.
Old December 6 2012, 01:07 AM   #600
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I wonder how short the leash on Sanchez will be?

Right now the belief is that Tannenbaum will be out, while Ryan will get another season. Tannenbaum was an amazing manager of the salary cap for the team, but it's been clear that he's completely in over his head since the day he took over the team. In any event, Woody Johnson likes Rex a whole lot more than he does Tannenbaum.
Closed Thread