RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,090
Posts: 5,399,125
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 461
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 4 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Photon
Commodore
 
Photon's Avatar
 
Location: Dixie
Sisko's Rank:

Was Sisko's rank at the time of the Borg attack, Lt Commander (like Worf) or full-fledged Commander like on DS9 S1-S3
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:08 PM   #2
MiKaTrek
Ensign
 
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Sisko held the rank of Lt. Cmdr. at Wolf 359 during the Borg attack and was promoted to Cmdr. prior to his assignment to Bajor/DS9.
MiKaTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:09 PM   #3
od0_ital
Admiral
 
od0_ital's Avatar
 
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Lt Cmdr Benjamin Sisko
http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...missary013.jpg

Accordin' to the novelization for 'Emissary', Sisko stayed a lt cmdr durin' his time at Utopia Planitia, and it was the upgade to full commander rank that was part of Starfleet's incentive to get him to go to DS9.
__________________
od0's bucket od0's facebook
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Yeah, Lt. Commander Sisko was XO of the Saratoga at Wolf 359. Afterwards, he was assigned to Utopia Planitia to work on the Defiant project.

If Sisko wasn't promoted to commander until he was assigned to DS9, then he was only a commander for three years before being promoted to captain. Would that be enough "time-in-grade" for Starfleet?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
47
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Bumpy's Former Lair
Re: Sisko's Rank:

There may have been a bit of politics in that promotion. Sisko was the Guardian of the Wormhole after all.
__________________
Star Trek: The Heads of Janus
47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:24 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Sisko's Rank:

47 wrote: View Post
There may have been a bit of politics in that promotion. Sisko was the Guardian of the Wormhole after all.
Plus you got a potential member world who worships him as a religious icon. You can't deny the Bajorian Jesus.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:50 PM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Pavonis wrote: View Post
If Sisko wasn't promoted to commander until he was assigned to DS9, then he was only a commander for three years before being promoted to captain. Would that be enough "time-in-grade" for Starfleet?
Definitely. Presumably, Riker was a commander for even less time (anywhere from two years to one year) when he was offered the captaincy of the Drake.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral
 
Satyrquaze's Avatar
 
Location: Satyrquaze
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Let's not forget the amount of time Kirk served as Commander...
__________________
“If at first you don't succeed, cheat, repeat until caught, then lie.” -Anomymous
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Sisko's Rank:

And we can wonder how NuKirk went from Cadet to Captain so quickly.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Photon
Commodore
 
Photon's Avatar
 
Location: Dixie
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Vanyel wrote: View Post
And we can wonder how NuKirk went from Cadet to Captain so quickly.
Nice call. I cannot recall anything at all about JTK being a Commander (let alone Lt Commander)
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 11:13 PM   #11
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Yeah, Lt. Commander Sisko was XO of the Saratoga at Wolf 359. Afterwards, he was assigned to Utopia Planitia to work on the Defiant project.

If Sisko wasn't promoted to commander until he was assigned to DS9, then he was only a commander for three years before being promoted to captain. Would that be enough "time-in-grade" for Starfleet?
Starfleet (in any universe) tends not to pay much attention to time-in-grade requirements...so chances are there aren't any.

I mean, Harry Kim was an Ensign for 7 years and while Geordi went from LTJG to Lieutenant Commander in one while Data (who saved God knows how many people God knows how many times seemed to be stuck at LTCDR.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 11:33 PM   #12
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Yeah, Lt. Commander Sisko was XO of the Saratoga at Wolf 359. Afterwards, he was assigned to Utopia Planitia to work on the Defiant project.

If Sisko wasn't promoted to commander until he was assigned to DS9, then he was only a commander for three years before being promoted to captain. Would that be enough "time-in-grade" for Starfleet?
Starfleet (in any universe) tends not to pay much attention to time-in-grade requirements...so chances are there aren't any.

I mean, Harry Kim was an Ensign for 7 years and while Geordi went from LTJG to Lieutenant Commander in one while Data (who saved God knows how many people God knows how many times seemed to be stuck at LTCDR.
And then Data gets blown up just before he was about the finally hit commander
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 01:47 AM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Geordi was lieutenant jg during season one, full lieutenant during season two as his first as chief engineer then lieutenant commander during season three.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:33 AM   #14
od0_ital
Admiral
 
od0_ital's Avatar
 
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Sisko's Rank:

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Yeah, Lt. Commander Sisko was XO of the Saratoga at Wolf 359. Afterwards, he was assigned to Utopia Planitia to work on the Defiant project.

If Sisko wasn't promoted to commander until he was assigned to DS9, then he was only a commander for three years before being promoted to captain. Would that be enough "time-in-grade" for Starfleet?
Starfleet (in any universe) tends not to pay much attention to time-in-grade requirements...so chances are there aren't any.

I mean, Harry Kim was an Ensign for 7 years and while Geordi went from LTJG to Lieutenant Commander in one while Data (who saved God knows how many people God knows how many times seemed to be stuck at LTCDR.
And then Data gets blown up just before he was about the finally hit commander
He was movin' up the first officer position - that's no guarantee he'd be a full commander in rank, though.
__________________
od0's bucket od0's facebook
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:56 AM   #15
DanCPA
Admiral
 
DanCPA's Avatar
 
Location: TrekBBS C/O 2001
Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA
Re: Sisko's Rank:

It actually seems realistic for him to spend 3-4 years as an O-5
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference -
DanCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.