Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 2 2012, 11:06 PM   #316
JD
Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Did the guy who put the upgrades in scream Droidsexual!!!!!!!!!!! for anyone else?
Yeah, he was pretty creepy.
One other thing I forgot to mention before, was that I found it a little disturbing that (IMO at least) nobody seemed to bothered by the fact that they seemed to be pretty much lobotomizing the green droid so the Colonel would have somewhere to hide.
Old December 2 2012, 11:11 PM   #317
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

Am I the only one who thought that the colonel looked a lot like Fester Blatz from Space Quest?

http://spacequest.wikia.com/wiki/Fester_Blatz
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 03:38 AM   #318
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
I really think you're underestimating how much of a sense of humor the original film had about itself. I was watching some of it just the other week, and was struck by how much of it was an affectionate comic deconstruction of its own genre. Luke actually said he couldn't see a thing through his Stormtrooper helmet -- that's as meta as anything on Robot Chicken today. And the way Luke and Han bumbled through the rescue and then the princess proved to be thoroughly unimpressed was a great way of deflating and lightly mocking the conventions of the adventure genre.

And I should remind you that C3PO and R2D2 had more screen time than practically any other character in the first reel or two of the first movie. The comic relief was always center stage.

Honestly, I'll never understand Star Wars fans who act as though it was meant to be some great serious epic and that treating it with humor is a betrayal or something. It was meant to be a playful pastiche of Saturday matinee adventure serials. The original three films worked because they didn't take themselves too seriously, because they remembered to be fun.
I also think this had to do with George Lucas having read Mad Magazine growing up, because he hasn't been shy about its influence on his work (He wrote an introduction for a book that collects Mad's Star Wars material, and always spoke highly of their parodies of his movies).
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 03:53 AM   #319
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

^See, that's a valid distinction to draw. Both trilogies had humor, but the OT handled it better. The mistake is in talking about Star Wars as if it's some grand serious thing that's corrupted by any humor whatsoever.
Agreed. I've found some in the sci-fi fandom to have no sense of humor whatsoever. It's not just the fandom though, sometimes it's the films. Terminator Salvation for instance had to be the most humorless big budget franchise film I've ever seen. I understand, it takes place in a grim future. But still, it's a movie about killer robots who like to time travel. A franchise whose most successful film (T2) had humor in it. Playing it deathly serious was a mistake.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 03:56 AM   #320
Christopher
Writer

I'd say that was the least of Terminator Salvation's mistakes...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:11 AM   #321
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

True. But the lack of humor set a definite tone for the film and not a positive one at that.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:28 AM   #322
Mr Light
Admiral

I didn't mind the serious tone of Terminator Salvation... the humorous aspects of the other T movies took place in the present, not with characters living in a post-apocalyptic future...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 09:29 PM   #323
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Christopher;7335130

I really think you're underestimating how much of a sense of humor the original film had about itself. I was watching some of it just the other week, and was struck by how much of it was an affectionate comic deconstruction of its own genre. Luke actually said he couldn't see a thing through his Stormtrooper helmet -- that's as meta as anything on [I wrote:

Robot Chicken[/I] today. And the way Luke and Han bumbled through the rescue and then the princess proved to be thoroughly unimpressed was a great way of deflating and lightly mocking the conventions of the adventure genre.

And I should remind you that C3PO and R2D2 had more screen time than practically any other character in the first reel or two of the first movie. The comic relief was always center stage.

Honestly, I'll never understand Star Wars fans who act as though it was meant to be some great serious epic and that treating it with humor is a betrayal or something. It was meant to be a playful pastiche of Saturday matinee adventure serials. The original three films worked because they didn't take themselves too seriously, because they remembered to be fun.
C3PO and R2 's screen time cannot compare to the neverending antics of Jar-Jar, wisecracking battledroids, and the endless aliens (that diner slob pulling his pants up in Attack of the Clones for one example) and robots played for laughs from the Prequels-forward. The interplay between the droids in the opening of A New Hope was secondary to the spectable of the overrun Blockade Runner and the appearance of Darth Vader.

On the flip side, by the time the prequels rolled around, Jar-Jar was a constant distraction, and worst of all, he was inserted into the field fight on Naboo as a 100% sight gag. Compare that to 3PO in Return of the Jedi, where he stays out of the way throughout most of the fight on Endor. R2--as always--was a functioning protagonist with only minor dips into the humor pool.

Audiences actually rooted for R2.

Jar-Jar was despised from moment one.

Thinking of Jar-Jar, there's a reason the character was near-universally criticized, which explains why Lucas toned him down in episodes 2 & 3: he was over the top, and no one was laughing.
Old December 4 2012, 10:19 PM   #324
Christopher
Writer

^Again, the distinction there is in the quality of the comic relief, not the quantity. Your initial statements implied that any humor was an unwanted imposition upon something that was meant to be serious, and that's bull. The original film had plenty of comedy and was never meant to be more than a lighthearted adventure romp.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 01:58 AM   #325
thumbtack
Commodore

I know it's just coincidence, but it was an extremely Disneyesque episode.
Old December 5 2012, 06:32 AM   #326
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

^Again, the distinction there is in the quality of the comic relief, not the quantity. Your initial statements implied that any humor was an unwanted imposition upon something that was meant to be serious, and that's bull. The original film had plenty of comedy and was never meant to be more than a lighthearted adventure romp.
Christopher, at no time did I say or imply the original films were 100% grim, but the original films' comedic elements were incidental at best, and did not shape or lead major sequences. When the latter happens, it makes a scene pure comedy.

For example, the droids crossing a field of laser fire in A New Hope, or R2 bumping into a wall after getting overloaded on Cloud City in Empire (during the escape) are blink-and-you-missed-it moments, which is night and day to Jar-jar buffoonery throughout the Naboo fight (one of the key plots of the film), or jokey/wisecracking battledroids in the prequels and Clone Wars series, among other things, which are now more commonplace than incidental.

Star Wars is hardly some consistent series.
Old December 6 2012, 12:39 AM   #327
Stephen!
Captain

Looks like we haven't seen the last of the droids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ytCo29psGU
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 08:19 AM   #328
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

No Gregor.

Dammitttttt!!!!!!
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 10:12 PM   #329
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Interesting visuals with the void, you could definitely see every bit of the CG textures for better and worse. When the droids first emerged from the downed ship it looked damned near real though!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 10:56 PM   #330
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

The episode is out?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote