Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade & Discuss S3E5 "Magic Duel"
A 14 87.50%
B 0 0%
C 0 0%
D 1 6.25%
F 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 4 2012, 03:28 AM   #46
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: MLP:FiM S3 Episode 5 - "Magic Duel"

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
I guess I'll be in the minority for the whole "alicorn" thing. I grew up with the actual meaning of the word. Never liked how it's misused here or in the general fandom.
Eh. The meaning of words change over time. And if it helps you feel better, it could be so named because it's an amulet made of alicorn and not because it's an amulet depicting an alicorn. That's a totally feasible explanation...that will undoubtedly be busted by the show referring to Celestia and Luna as alicorns somewhere down the line.
Old December 4 2012, 09:16 PM   #47
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Not unless the bone was pulped, remoulded into the amulets shape, a gemstone shoved in, and the thing then coated in metal.

But if that's how you want to see it...
Old December 4 2012, 09:32 PM   #48
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Hush, you. I don't subscribe to that interpretation either, but I've seen it bandied about by those who don't like the fanon and now canon use of "alicorn", so I thought I'd offer it up.

And it could be carved in parts from several unicorn horns and then metal plated, so it's not that improbable.
Old December 4 2012, 09:34 PM   #49
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Just rather horrible.
Old December 4 2012, 09:39 PM   #50
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

It is a very moribund idea-- though I suppose in keeping with the "creepy little shop" vibe, where fantasy characters are always finding eldritch tomes bound in human skin and whatnot.
Old December 4 2012, 10:56 PM   #51
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Eh. The meaning of words change over time. And if it helps you feel better, it could be so named because it's an amulet made of alicorn and not because it's an amulet depicting an alicorn. That's a totally feasible explanation...that will undoubtedly be busted by the show referring to Celestia and Luna as alicorns somewhere down the line.
Fair enough - and truth be told, fifty years from now someone will probably be watching these early episodes (while waiting for the 53rd season of FiM to start, natch) and laugh at how some Brony got it wrong. :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 11:11 PM   #52
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Absolute win. Fanservice can easily go wrong but this was handled with expertise.
Old December 5 2012, 01:36 AM   #53
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeah, fanservice can go wrong, as you've said. Fortunately, this was done very well. It gives me a "we know you guys exist and we thank you for being a part of it" kind of vibe. I may be wrong, but that's what I get from it. I do love the show, I love all of the talent behind the show, and as someone who wants to get into the voice acting business, it's very interesting to follow.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 02:59 PM   #54
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

It is a very moribund idea-- though I suppose in keeping with the "creepy little shop" vibe, where fantasy characters are always finding eldritch tomes bound in human skin and whatnot.
Yes I know, I was even toying with having a Ponynomicon in a fic at some point but still.
Old December 6 2012, 05:44 AM   #55
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeah, some folks like that, though I generally avoid fanfics that get gory or dark like that. Just not my cup of tea.
Old December 6 2012, 07:23 AM   #56
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
Yeah, fanservice can go wrong, as you've said. Fortunately, this was done very well. It gives me a "we know you guys exist and we thank you for being a part of it" kind of vibe. I may be wrong, but that's what I get from it. I do love the show, I love all of the talent behind the show, and as someone who wants to get into the voice acting business, it's very interesting to follow.
Interestingly, according to Meghan's twitter, the story pitch for this episode was planned for season 2 and was accepted in January 2011 – almost two years ago. To put that in perspective, Boast Busters first aired on November 19th, 2010 –only two months prior; and the first BronyCon took place in June 2011, six months later. (!) Obviously, there was plenty of time for writing, storyboarding and animation to respond to the fanbase if, in fact, it ever did, but it does put the idea that this episode was fanservice into perspective.
Old December 6 2012, 08:00 AM   #57
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
Interestingly, according to Meghan's twitter, the story pitch for this episode was planned for season 2 and was accepted in January 2011 – almost two years ago. To put that in perspective, Boast Busters first aired on November 19th, 2010 –only two months prior; and the first BronyCon took place in June 2011, six months later. (!) Obviously, there was plenty of time for writing, storyboarding and animation to respond to the fanbase if, in fact, it ever did, but it does put the idea that this episode was fanservice into perspective.
I was reading that on EqD and all I could think was "holy crap! It takes forever to make these episodes!"
Old December 6 2012, 08:10 AM   #58
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

It's a bit unusual in this case because the episode was delayed by a season. But, yeah, it usually take a good year or so from concept to completion. I recall Jayson Theissan mentioning at some point that during season one they were working on all episodes simultaneously through the entire production cycle running up to the airdate. It's a lot of freaking work.
Old December 6 2012, 08:15 AM   #59
J. Allen
Best Pony™

It's a bit unusual in this case because the episode was delayed by a season. But, yeah, it usually take a good year or so from concept to completion. I recall Jayson Theissan mentioning at some point that during season one they were working on all episodes simultaneously through the entire production cycle running up to the airdate. It's a lot of freaking work.
It's a good thing that it's also a labor of love, or I don't know how they would handle all of that stress!
Old December 6 2012, 08:23 AM   #60
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

If you have the Amazon season 1 set, they talk a little on the commentaries about it, and apparently Jayson brought work home to his wife and she would board sequences gratis in order to help out. She boarded the whole Winter Wrap-Up song sequence and whatever the song is called in Show Stoppers. That is dedication.

Unrelated to that, Magic Dual finally hit iTunes. Thank God. Now I can have my unwatermakred, color-corrected 1080p ponies. Whee!