Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old November 27 2012, 03:27 AM   #76
gturner
Admiral

Re: Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

2x19-One False Step: This episode only slightly improved upon Holiday. If I were Dr.Frasier I'd like to know how these humans developed a symbiotic relationship with the plants?
I'm figuring that maybe the humanoids <voice="Triumph the Wonder Dog">poop on them.</voice>

2x20-Show & Tell: Finally!! A kick ass episode again. I felt like these "insect alien terrorists"(blanking on their name right now)
Reetou or Re'Tu, as I recall.
Old November 27 2012, 03:27 AM   #77
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
That was it. Spelling looks good enough for me for now.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
It felt very wrong for the kid to take the name Charlie....then die in Jack's arms. Did anyone else feel that was just wrong when you first saw it?
He didn't die, he's walking with the Tok'ra through the gate in the final scene.
True but for a moment in that scene it's the emotional impact that he's dead....before he's not.

It's the additional emotional grief that by attrition seems wrong from a script perspective.
Old December 3 2012, 10:08 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Season 3 is underway

3x1-Into the Fire: Hathor that crafty vixen gets her apparent comeuppance in the season opener picking up where the cliffhanger left off. Just like Apophis the Tok'ra have a plant within her group. I do like that the plant isn't just easily killed as often happens. Hey, thanks for the sacrifice any dying last words? No, she lays there wounded, badly, and says her symbiote may yet heal her but that they should go during the break out attempt. On Chulak Teal'c gets to have a very "Braveheart" moment as he rallies those who would mock him to "do the right thing". Hammond in action was a nice twist as they 'thread the needle'. I'd been wondering for the whole time if any type of ship was going to attempt to fly through the gate.

3x2-Seth: So the Gou'ald Seth has stayed on Earth this whole time? Hiding in plain sight if you will. His modern version takes on a very WACO compound or Heaven's Gate type cult. Pretty good episode and one that shows perhaps just how easily beat the Gou'ald can be when their resources are limited. In this episode, whether intentional or not, I could see how their rise in the intergalactic community is largely due to theft of other technologies then imposing power through fear. Cause hear Seth has limited amounts of Gou'ald resources. Translation, limited power as himself. I did wonder why he might not have tried to access the Antarctica Gate then realized it was mentioned the Gou'ald didn't know if it either. It was proof the Gou'ald hadn't created Gate technology.

3x3-Fair Game: An Asian Gou'ald!! I wonder why he's still all FuManch'd out? Were the PC police in overdrive for such a portrayal or was it alright due to historical context? The return of Thor as nothing more than mediator was a bit bland but he did essentially reinforce that the Asgardians are dealing with a much bigger threat. They are essentially just bluffing the Gou'ald and are in a much weaker state than we've been led to believe. So who is the enemy giving the Asgardians such trouble? I have to believe with 8 seasons to go we'll find out. This is also the first episode that I recall catching a bit of at some point.

3x4-Legacy: A rather bland bottle show but one that plays into the "boggey trapped" tomb I suppose, which is big for Egyptian tombs. With three pretty good episodes on this disc I suppose it was time to breath a bit out of the gate on season 3.
Old December 4 2012, 02:48 AM   #79
The Wormhole
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
So who is the enemy giving the Asgardians such trouble?
Oh, you'll find out soon enough.
Old December 4 2012, 02:50 AM   #80
gturner
Admiral

Season 3 expands on a lot of elements.

I really like the way Carter absolutely glowed with devotion toward Seth when she was under the influence of his mind-control chemical. I also liked the worried father, and kind of wish he and his son could've been given recurring roles.
Old December 4 2012, 05:38 AM   #81
The Wormhole
Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
Season 3 expands on a lot of elements.

I really like the way Carter absolutely glowed with devotion toward Seth when she was under the influence of his mind-control chemical. I also liked the worried father, and kind of wish he and his son could've been given recurring roles.
Thing is, they didn't really have anything to do with the recurring story arcs.
Old December 4 2012, 06:45 AM   #82
gturner
Admiral

True, but it would've been kind of cute if they "saw too much" and ended up making another appearance, kind of like the opportunity to re-use a later character who really likes donuts and bowling. But there characters weren't really developed enough in the episode to justify it, and probably half the episodes have characters who we could imagine showing back up but who don't. I guess the other half of the episodes do have characters who show back up. ^_^

I guess I'm saying it would've been nice if a few more normal Earth people found out the secret and got pulled inside a few times, or had odd specialties that ended up being needed off planet. As the audience we'd be likely to identify with ordinary Earth folks who also end up traveling through the stargate, a bit like Samantha's father Jacob (though he was an Air Force general) or Ely's character on SGU, as opposed to all the ordinary folks from other planets who had the wonders revealed to them.
Old December 4 2012, 09:35 PM   #83
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Fun fact: The location given for Seth's compound is the area where I am now.
Old December 4 2012, 10:04 PM   #84
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Fun fact: The location given for Seth's compound is the area where I am now.
Good thing you didn't drink the KoolAid, it would suck to have missed out on some of your great one-liners Plus, you're a bird, afterall, and we feathered ones need to look out for each other

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old December 4 2012, 10:57 PM   #85
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

But flying upside down is so groovy, man.
Old December 17 2012, 07:00 PM   #86
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Some seasonal travel has hindered my viewing the last few weeks. Got two more episodes in over the weekend though.

3x5-Learning Curve: Pretty good bottle show. Not sure what, if any, message might be layered into this episode. A civilization that essentially as adults(we only see the one) are inept but the children are the advanced thinkers. The use of nanite technology that passes the learned knowledge down from child to child was it seemed a way of foregoing books or hands on apprenticeship type learning. The lead tween actress had that odd look of "have I seen you in something", her IMDB reveals she was on Smallville as Courtney/Stargirl no less which explains why, she grew up. Overall a pretty good episode.

3x6-Point of View: Ok, now this is good stuff. That Quantum Mirror is back. Thought that was relegated to a one-off show but used here for a fun episode. This episode felt like City on the Edge of Forever(the mirror reminds me of The Guardian), Mirror/Mirror and Parallels all wrapped into one. Our goatee wearing bad guys was a great nod to TOS. I kinda wanted Kawalsky to be able to stay. That character connection back to the movie is something I like. This isn't the first time the Jack/Sam romance has been indicated as happening "elsewhen". I'm now wondering if this will happen in our timeline or just be teased like a Mulder/Scully.
Old December 18 2012, 01:10 AM   #87
gturner
Admiral

I really liked those two.
Old December 18 2012, 04:35 AM   #88
The Wormhole
Admiral

Learning Curve, okay, so we taught these guys how to have fun and play hop scotch. What happens if they actually get attacked? That planet's pretty much screwed.

Point of View was pretty cool. Mind you, Asgard ships are pretty fast in that universe. Carter arrives on their homeworld in another galaxy, and within two minutes, the ship has made it to Earth. And it likely originated from the homeworld, since Carter was onboard it. It must be something unique to that universe, prime universe Asgard ships have never been quite that fast. Faster than anyone else, yes, but it still takes them more than a day to travel between galaxies.
Old December 22 2012, 12:12 AM   #89
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

3x7-Deadman Switch: Since I just saw the movie TED within the last week or so this episode was a welcome treat. It costars Sam Wilson(Flash Gordon) who had a sizable role in TED. Plus I enjoyed he episode. It had a Fett-light feel to it I suppose. I would enjoy seeing Wilson's bounty hunter again. Especially since he did the right thing at the end by faking their deaths and not turning over the SG team to the Gou'ald.

3x8-Demons: A modest episode. Was this supposed to be the same Unas we saw voiced by James Earl Jones in the Chariot of Thor episode(I think I'm right). Wasn't he killed if so? Or is Unas a race, like saying Gou'ald or To'kra? I was little let down I suppose cause like Jack said, "Wait you mean this world may have a Gou'ald posing as God God?" Which I thought might lead to a cool "What does God need with a starship"(variation on it anyway) one line zinger down the road by Jack. Exhibit A of why not to anticipate and just let it unfold I suppose.

3x9-Rules of Engagement: This episode bored me. I started checking email halfway though it. War Games conducted by teen males? Feels like a grunt assignment if you were the Gou'ald relegated to watching over this.
Old December 22 2012, 01:42 AM   #90
gturner
Admiral

I really enjoyed "Deadman Switch". The bounty hunter should have his own series. "Demons" was okay, though the medieval village thing can get a bit tiresome, and yes, I skip "Rules of Engagement" on any rewatch.