Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 4 2012, 11:29 AM   #526
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Just got home from the screening event/release party here in Hollywood. A fabulous time was had by all. Larry Nemecek, The Okudas, Greg Jein, Robert Meyer Burnett, album producers Lukas Kendall and Neil S. Bulk, La-La Land Records founders Matt Verboys and MV Gerhard and several others were present. Jeff Bond did a fantastic job hosting and moderating the panel with Gerald Fried and David Gerrold afterward.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=b1b69cfdea

Video from the beginning of the evening, when Gerald Fried performed what he affectionately dubbed "Eight Songs from Three Episodes of Star Trek":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1BB7...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by doubleohfive; December 4 2012 at 07:31 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 03:05 PM   #527
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Dalen Quaice wrote: View Post
Have I overlooked it, or is the 3rd Season Bumper music missing?

Bumper Fan Out (by Wilbur Hatch)

It follows William Shatner's v/o at mid-episode in the 3rd season: "William Shatner speaking: Tonight's Star Trek continues in a moment."
From what I've read, they didn't have the rights to the music for the bumpers.

What I find amusing is that for years, it had been said by a variety of sources, from fans all the way to Bob Justman, that Alexander Courage never returned to Star Trek because of Gene's credit and pay grabbing lyrics. Yet Courage not only came back for library cues in the second season, he did full scores in the third. And evidence of his return is not only in the episodes, but obviously in the files. Just shows you that no authority on any subject can be trusted 100%.

I for one and glad these guys were wrong, Sandy Courage contributed some great stuff.
Old December 4 2012, 03:06 PM   #528
Christopher
Writer

Who was the pianist who accompanied Fried on the "Eight Themes" performance?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 03:15 PM   #529
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Captain Claus wrote: View Post
What I find amusing is that for years, it had been said by a variety of sources, from fans all the way to Bob Justman, that Alexander Courage never returned to Star Trek because of Gene's credit and pay grabbing lyrics. Yet Courage not only came back for library cues in the second season, he did full scores in the third. And evidence of his return is not only in the episodes, but obviously in the files. Just shows you that no authority on any subject can be trusted 100%.

I for one and glad these guys were wrong, Sandy Courage contributed some great stuff.
Yeah, it unfortunately cast doubt on Solow and Justman's whole book (which is a very good book, btw) when Solow claimed that he axed the soprano in the opening credits after the first season because of royalty concerns. When obviously the voice was ADDED after the first season and continued into the third! (She's on The Cage, isn't she?)
Old December 4 2012, 03:38 PM   #530
Christopher
Writer

Well, it's a given that any historical text is going to be subject to error and bias, or that any individual's recollection of events from decades earlier is going to be imperfect. (I think I saw Leonard Nimoy make a similar mistake of the order of events in an interview about his Mission: Impossible years -- he thought he worked with Lesley Ann Warren in the first of his two seasons, when in fact it was the second.) That's why one should never take any single source as authoritative in itself, but try to get a consensus, or at least a parallax, from multiple sources.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 07:07 PM   #531
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Did anyone else from here make it to the event? What did you guys think?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Who was the pianist who accompanied Fried on the "Eight Themes" performance?
I didn't catch his name. I'm sure IndySolo will be able to provide that info the next time he checks in.

Your welcome, by the way.

Last edited by doubleohfive; December 4 2012 at 07:19 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 07:22 PM   #532
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I loved it. It was fantastic hearing Gerald Fied play the oboe.

It was also fun watching episodes of Star Trek with a large, enthusiastic crowd.

I also got a number of Tribbles, a T-Shirt and second introduction booklet of the set, pre-signed by Mr. Fried.

After the show, I good my "Music of Star Trek" book signed as well, and got to meet him. Real nice guy.

As for the set itself: There's a LOT here, and I can attest to just how much better The Cage sounds compared to the GNP release.

It'll take quite some time to go through it all.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 07:28 PM   #533
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

^Jeff Bond is a class-act. Did you know that he built the model Enterprise on display (with the lights and everything!) and that it was from his personal collection?

Here's another photo from the event, snapped by Michael Coate:

(L-R: Jon Skoryak, who designed the cover art and packaging for the set (as well as the Ron Jones set in 2010), album producer Neil S. Bulk,come Gerald Fried, La-La Land co-founder MV Gerhard, La-La Land Records co-founder Matt Verboys, moderator Jeff Bond, album producer Lukas Kendall, writer David Gerrold.)
Old December 4 2012, 08:02 PM   #534
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, it's a given that any historical text is going to be subject to error and bias, or that any individual's recollection of events from decades earlier is going to be imperfect. (I think I saw Leonard Nimoy make a similar mistake of the order of events in an interview about his Mission: Impossible years -- he thought he worked with Lesley Ann Warren in the first of his two seasons, when in fact it was the second.) That's why one should never take any single source as authoritative in itself, but try to get a consensus, or at least a parallax, from multiple sources.
In the case of using the soprano early or Alexander Courage late in the series, it was ridiculously easy to confirm. If a fan can pop in two episodes and call shenanigans, it does tend to put the overall text into doubt.

However, I still find it to be the best making of Trek book out there.
Old December 4 2012, 08:04 PM   #535
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
(L-R:Gerald Fried,)
He looks like he's in his glory! And I love his shirt. He reminds me of my dad in this picture. Very hip in his older years. Also a musician. It must have been an amazing time.
Old December 4 2012, 08:12 PM   #536
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Yes, I asked Matt Verboys who made the model, as I recognized it from the behind then scenes video.

Actually, I got the Music of Star Trek book signed by Gerald Fried (Jeff Bond signed it a couple of Comic-Cons ago), and also had the pre-signed CD set booklet signed by Jeff Bond.

But yep, Jeff Bond and IndySolo are both great in person.

BTW, Charlie X sounds great on the set.
Old December 4 2012, 08:14 PM   #537
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Yes, I asked Matt Verboys who made the model, as I recognized it from the behind then scenes video.

Actually, I got the Music of Star Trek book signed by Gerald Fried (Jeff Bond signed it a couple of Comic-Cons ago), and also had the pre-signed CD set booklet signed by Jeff Bond.

But yep, Jeff Bond and IndySolo are both great in person.

BTW, Charlie X sounds great on the set.
Agreed on all points. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet!
Old December 4 2012, 08:16 PM   #538
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I think you can see how happy he was right there. Big Tribble-eating grin all the time.
Old December 4 2012, 08:54 PM   #539
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Doubleoh, One Buck was nice enough to take the group photo of all of us!

Neil
Old December 4 2012, 09:14 PM   #540
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

You're kidding! Now I feel like a total dope! I handed my camera off to you OneBuckFilms, and didn't even think to say hello. I'm so sorry! Thank you for taking the photo of us!