Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 6 2010, 03:38 AM   #46
Saquist
Commodore

Re: DS9 ruined Alexander Rozhenko

He was a REAL BRAT in TNG.
I think his granparents must have been incompetent because Worf was the only child that came out okay and he was an alien...
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 08:54 AM   #47
Chick_McGeester
Lieutenant

I just watched a Fist Full of Datas. Not a bad little western episode...
Chick_McGeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 05:48 PM   #48
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I agree, now that I think about it, DS9 actually saved him and added some more dimension to his character.

As far TNG was concerned, we never would have seen him again after he abruptly disappeared to live with his grandparents.

The way DS9 suddenly left off with him was awkward though. It seemed like a quick fix with no real follow up.

Trek has always had a thing with the dysfunctional families- almost every main character in each series comes from a family that you could describe as dysfunctional.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 05:45 AM   #49
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Saquist wrote: View Post
I think his grandparents must have been incompetent because Worf was the only child that came out okay and he was an alien...
Worf was found by Sergei when Sergei was a young man and had the energy to raise him along with Helena.

Alexander was sent to Sergei & Helena when both were in their twilight years. Try handling a Klingon child then, and you'll see why they sent him back to Worf.

EDIT: If anything, I think that Klingon culture failed him, first by not taking him in after his mother died, and forcing him to live with his grandparents due to its rules about discommodation. Alexander also has to share some of the blame by not doing as his daddy said and go off to a Klingon school to learn the male coming of age rites and the other things that make a Klingon a Klingon.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; December 9 2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added extra stuff
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 04:54 PM   #50
Mr. Scott
Commander

Alexander was farmed out to his mother, who was Half-Klingon and thought most of the ways of the Klingon were lame and stupid (which they are)

Worf shps him off to his step-paremts who are old and cannot handle the child. Worf more or less ships the kid back to the grandparents. He's too busy guarding Picard's back.

The kid grows into a man and wants to fight in the war against the Dominion. He's 3/4th Klingon. Yeah, he's a fuck up, but according to Martok "He's a good boy, with a warrior heart (the ultimate compliment from a Klingon) and he tries hard." He fks up, oh well. He might be the Reginald Barkley of the Klingon Empire. Reg was honorable. Slightly.
Mr. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 03:40 AM   #51
Saquist
Commodore

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Saquist wrote: View Post
I think his grandparents must have been incompetent because Worf was the only child that came out okay and he was an alien...
Worf was found by Sergei when Sergei was a young man and had the energy to raise him along with Helena.

Alexander was sent to Sergei & Helena when both were in their twilight years. Try handling a Klingon child then, and you'll see why they sent him back to Worf.

EDIT: If anything, I think that Klingon culture failed him, first by not taking him in after his mother died, and forcing him to live with his grandparents due to its rules about discommodation. Alexander also has to share some of the blame by not doing as his daddy said and go off to a Klingon school to learn the male coming of age rites and the other things that make a Klingon a Klingon.
Sounds like the same or similar stupid Trek Rules for Cardassians that children with no parents are abandoned.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 09:13 AM   #52
RisingEmber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RisingEmber

I LOVE Alexander in either incarnation. I am writing a fanfiction featuring him. I loved the complexities of his and Worf's relationship.
RisingEmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 09:39 AM   #53
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

He was ruined from day one. The absolute worst Trek kid.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:53 PM   #54
Tetrarch42
Ensign

teacake wrote: View Post
He was ruined from day one. The absolute worst Trek kid.
Worse than Wesley? That's harsh.
Tetrarch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 02:18 PM   #55
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Wesley was at least passable to look at.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:52 PM   #56
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah, a badass Klingon kid running around the Enterprise decking the adults would've been amusing, if crude and predictable. Turning him into a whiney, emo, sissy... ugh. Didn't we have enough of that with Wesley Crusher?

He didn't improve any on DS9. The only episode I liked him in was that Bloodlines episode, with his future self... who then attempts to murder his past self for the aforementioned reasons.
Old December 3 2012, 11:32 PM   #57
RisingEmber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RisingEmber

Yeah, a badass Klingon kid running around the Enterprise decking the adults would've been amusing, if crude and predictable.

Well, I see that could have worked if they had allowed him to be on the ship during his "Teenage" years since that would have fit with both human adolescence as well as Klingon mentality once he'd hit puberty. We didn't really see Wesley rebel against authority before leaving for the academy and it could have added a bit if that type of story-line was explored.

As for Alexander on DS9, he had a bit of a right to be upset at his father. NO CONTACT for 5 years then he tried get a life for himself only to run smack into his father that wants to once more send him away just like he always had. I would have liked to see him on the Vor'Nak before he was transferred over to the Rotarran to see how he behaved there. On the Rotarran, Worf was adversarial towards his son from the moment he recognized him which of course would cause a "Teenager" to balk at their parents.

HOWEVER, by the second time he was on DS9 we see that the "WHINY" factor was gone even if he wasn't the "Tough-Klingon" that we are used to seeing just yet. But he appears to have forgiven his father for his lack of care over the years and came off as a happy-go-lucky type of kid for the most part. He had a lot of potential that just wasn't ever fully realized. By a year after Jadzia's death we hear Ezri say that Alexander had been promoted to weapons officer and was no longer clumsy which goes to show that he was maturing and was actually beginning to thrive. No thanks to Worf, I hate to say.
RisingEmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 12:18 AM   #58
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
Turning him into a whiney, emo, sissy... ugh. Didn't we have enough of that with Wesley Crusher?
Wesley may have been annoying and a bit of a whiner at times, but a sissy? No way, the kid was pretty tough seeing a lot of action as I remember it. Stuff that probably would have had most other kids his age whimpering in a corner.
Old December 4 2012, 06:29 AM   #59
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Oh, DS9 ruined Worf's entire family. They did even worse to Kurn.

Alexander appeared in DS9 four years after he appeared in TNG, and in that time he'd aged about ten years and dropped about 50 IQ points. He wasn't that great a character in TNG but he was an oversensitive kid with violent tendencies, not just a one dimensional incompetent.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 04:57 PM   #60
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Oh, DS9 ruined Worf's entire family. They did even worse to Kurn.

Alexander appeared in DS9 four years after he appeared in TNG, and in that time he'd aged about ten years and dropped about 50 IQ points. He wasn't that great a character in TNG but he was an oversensitive kid with violent tendencies, not just a one dimensional incompetent.
I thought it was refreshing to have a Klingon who wasn't a clone of all the other Klingons. It was the way the Klingons as a race were depicted that was two dimensional, not Alexander. He had human ancestry and had been raised by humans. As with his mother, who was a hybrid, he didn't really fit anywhere but he tried to.