RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,714
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 808
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 4 2012, 03:21 PM   #151
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 (Discussion, Spoilers)

Richard was flat out awesome! The Terminator-like precision with which he dispatched all of Rosetti's men was like art in motion.

I SO wish Gillian OD'd and was removed from the picture. It would have been a fitting end for her. Perhaps this will become one of those "life lessons" for her and maybe - just maybe - she'll start down a new path of positive change through introspective reflection.

Yeah, I wonder how much was left on the cutting room floor with this one. I agree it did seem rushed to address all the loose ends.

I am genuinely curious what's going to happen to Rothstien over this PA distillery trap. Definitely a good set-up for early next-season conflict. That, plus the Lucky/Lansky conflict in New York. Good stuff... Can't wait til next year!
Old December 4 2012, 04:32 PM   #152
Rhaven
Captain

I thought the last episode was a good tie up of this season's problems. My only dangit, is Gillian still being alive. Most awesome? Why that would be Richard storming the brothel, guns blazin'.
Old December 4 2012, 04:53 PM   #153
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Personally, I think Jack Huston (Richard) should get Best Supporting Actor next year. He's a tragic character who has managed to literally return from the brink and fully transcend his handicap through external struggle and inner strife, during a time when a tolerance of such things was virtually nonexistent. His relationships with Tommy and Julia is positively touching to the core and he's just a damn good all-around actor in general. He should at least get a nomination for it.

Although I am wondering - what the hell happened to Van Alden??
Old December 4 2012, 05:26 PM   #154
Anwar
Vice Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post

-With Nucky and Arnold. After Mickey calls, Nucky and tells him they are sitting on a gold mine, I'm assuming that Nucky later tells Mickey to call Arnold? Anticipating that Arnold's greed will get the best of him, Arnold calls Nucky to deal and Nucky obliges to take care of the immediate problem of Gyp. Nucky also contacts Mellon so that he can take care of Arnold. But why would Mellon want to take care of Arnold? I thought his only concern was making sure he got paid from his distillery? And what's the difference between Arnold and Nucky? The only one I can see is that Arnold appears to be more stable than Nucky is.
In Mellon's first scene in the season, he's being berated for not doing much to enforce Prohibition. Nabbing someone like Rothstein would make him look good and seem like he's doing his job.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 07:51 PM   #155
Mister Fandango
Captain

I'm pretty sure Mickey made the move to call Rothstsein on his own, too, presumably after getting annoyed at how Nucky was being dismissive about the whole operation. Nucky didn't even know how Rothstein was able to track him down on the phone when he called to make his deal.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 07:51 PM   #156
Beagleman
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I guess that's one of the things that ended on the cutting room floor... Hope next season is a bit Van Alden heavier.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 08:38 PM   #157
Tom
Rear Admiral

Terence Winter confirmed that Gillian would be back next season:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/teren...boardwalk.html

Great interview and insight into the show in the article.
Old December 4 2012, 11:55 PM   #158
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Lucky and Meyer did not buy heroin from Masseria, they were trying to convice him to start selling Heroin with them. They were asking Massaria to help buy a lot of Heroin from there source overseas, i believe (have to rewatch that part again)
Thanks. So Lucky and Meyer got Masseria to invest to buy the dope? And that's why Lucky was pushing to sell it to get Masseria his money?
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 11:58 PM   #159
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post

-With Nucky and Arnold. After Mickey calls, Nucky and tells him they are sitting on a gold mine, I'm assuming that Nucky later tells Mickey to call Arnold? Anticipating that Arnold's greed will get the best of him, Arnold calls Nucky to deal and Nucky obliges to take care of the immediate problem of Gyp. Nucky also contacts Mellon so that he can take care of Arnold. But why would Mellon want to take care of Arnold? I thought his only concern was making sure he got paid from his distillery? And what's the difference between Arnold and Nucky? The only one I can see is that Arnold appears to be more stable than Nucky is.
In Mellon's first scene in the season, he's being berated for not doing much to enforce Prohibition. Nabbing someone like Rothstein would make him look good and seem like he's doing his job.
Thanks. So Rothstein is a bigger fish than Nucky? I know that Rothstein was a real person and Nucky is based on a real person, but within the context of the show it would seem that Nucky is as big a fish as Rothstein, or at least one that Mellon could get rid of to show he was doing something about Prohibition too. Then again, maybe he just 'trusts' Nucky more than he would Rothstein, since he and Nucky worked out their deal eye to eye and Rothstein elbowed his way into the deal.
Old December 5 2012, 12:07 AM   #160
Garak
Nothing's for freeeeeeeee

Rothstein is New York. Nucky is Atlantic City. I think it's safe to say Rothstein is a bigger fish than Nucky.
Old December 5 2012, 12:17 AM   #161
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Very good episode although not quite as good as last week's.

Richard's one-man army against Rossetti's men was incredible and by far the highlight of the episode. After Richard got blood all over his face (and just before discovering Tommy), I had this terrible fear that Tommy would be traumatized by Richard's appearance. But maybe not considering how Richard saved Tommy from Rossetti's goon. Broke my heart to watch Julia realize what kind of world Richard operates in and I fear how that will affect their relationship. I initially thought this would be the end of Tommy's story (as well as Julia) when I thought Gillian overdosed and no one would be looking for Tommy, but after reading that she didn't actually die and will be returning ( ), I guess we haven't seen the last of either of them just yet. One side note: I loved how Julia's father showed nothing but compassion during Richard's midnight appearance. I guess there's still some good in him after all.

The rest of the episode is pretty good, especially Nucky's quiet maneuvering behind the scenes and the Capone/Chalky conflict (after the slaughtering of Masseria's men: "I'm glad I got that out of my system." "You and me both." *chuckle* ). The pacing was a bit rushed but not too noticeably and Van Alden's absence (for the last two episodes) was glaring, but those minor quibbles and Gillian's survival aside, my only real complaint about this episode was not finding out how Eddie was holding up (I'm sure he survived).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 12:17 AM   #162
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Real good article. Thanks for posting.
Old December 5 2012, 12:25 AM   #163
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
He's on Krypton... I guess we'll see more of him next year.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 01:11 AM   #164
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Real good article. Thanks for posting.
Agreed. I'm thrilled to read that Chalky "will rise to prominence a great deal."

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 10:05 PM   #165
the G-man
Commodore

I am 10/12s through the season (I don't have HBO and wait for the show to come out on DVD).

So far the two big wow moments were the explosion at Babette's and the Margaret's boyfriend coming back in the crate (and the flashback).

I like Bobby Cannevale but Gyp is so over the top he's practically a Batman villain.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote