TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 4 2012, 03:29 AM   #136
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Assassin's Creed III

^ That's how I felt about the vast majority of the game, unfortunately.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 09:06 AM   #137
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

When you have to kill Lee was annoying...
I ended up with full synch when i did it though, hmmm....
But there will be 2 more Connor based games apparently, similair to Brotherhood and Revelations, one where he builds up the presence of the Assasins Order in North America and one where he is the Master of it...
But i wonder how they will do that, with or without Desmond and all that...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 02:54 PM   #138
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
When did you do it? The patch Thanksgiving week made it significantly easier.

But there will be 2 more Connor based games apparently, similair to Brotherhood and Revelations, one where he builds up the presence of the Assasins Order in North America and one where he is the Master of it...
Let's put it this way: the modern day framework was the fun part of III. I would probably pass on a Conor solo game.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 03:39 PM   #139
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Oh God, please, no more games set in 18th century America. When I was talking to Lafayette in Valley Forge and he was inviting me to come to France after the war I'm thinking YES! Take me with you! Get me out of this backwater shithole! I mean, revolutionary Paris really would seem like a logical next stop.
Old December 4 2012, 08:40 PM   #140
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
When did you do it? The patch Thanksgiving week made it significantly easier.
This past Sunday...
Let's put it this way: the modern day framework was the fun part of III. I would probably pass on a Conor solo game.
Personally i quite liked the 18th century America...
18th century Europe could be fun too...
Either way, i hope there will be a bit more focus on the Age Of Enlightenment that happend back then...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 11:07 PM   #141
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Oh God, please, no more games set in 18th century America. When I was talking to Lafayette in Valley Forge and he was inviting me to come to France after the war I'm thinking YES! Take me with you! Get me out of this backwater shithole! I mean, revolutionary Paris really would seem like a logical next stop.
I was really expecting AC3 to be set during the French Revolution and/or the Napoleonic Wars, just because of its similarities to the settings of AC1 and AC2 (lots of chaos and discord, lots of large cities to travel between and explore, three hundred years after the last game). I was a little puzzled when they chose the American Revolution instead because colonial America's largest cities were still tiny compared to, say, Paris, Bordeaux, and Marseille.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 12:36 AM   #142
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm really not excited at the prospect of two more Connor games

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 07:04 AM   #143
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Me neither, AC3 is my least favourite game since AC1.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:41 PM   #144
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Overall I actually enjoyed the story of AC3 but the glitches and some of the core gameplay was a bit tough to swallow at times. I think their engine needs a bit more of an overhaul than they were willing to give it.
Old December 21 2012, 12:29 AM   #145
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, finally got around to finishing it today. What a letdown. Overall, the gameplay was fine, but I just couldn't get into the setting or Connor as a protagonist. And I'm annoyed that once again the damn thing ended on a cliffhanger.
Old December 21 2012, 01:11 AM   #146
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I'm actually a bit opposite of you - I thought the setting was great, Connor was a bit bland (actually Kenway was more interesting, IMO), and the gameplay was kind of non-existent other than in the ship battles. I think I mentioned this in the other thread that I would give it a 7/10 for a score. It's better than average, but not a great game by any means. The most disappointing thing overall was how hyped it was and how "just okay" it was.
Old December 21 2012, 07:15 AM   #147
BigFoot
Admiral

I'm with RoJoHen on this one, both Connor and the setting were bland and boring. I actually preferred playing as Haytham... he was actually interesting.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 10:18 AM   #148
RoJoHen
Awesome

I really wish that games like this would do a better job of incorporating the side missions into the story. There needs to be more of an incentive to do them. In this game, I attempted to do side missions in the beginning, but I soon realized that they weren't helping me accomplish anything, so I stopped and just focused on the story. Much like the last game with the weird roof attacks, once you do the initial tutorial mission, you never have to do anything like that the rest of the game. Once you finish the story, you just end up back in the world with all this random crap to do.
Old December 21 2012, 02:53 PM   #149
ATimson
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
And I'm annoyed that once again the damn thing ended on a cliffhanger.
Earlier games ended on a cliffhanger. This one... it is sequel bait, but they managed to wrap everything up and it feels like it would be a satisfying place to fall off the wagon.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 03:28 PM   #150
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I really wish that games like this would do a better job of incorporating the side missions into the story. There needs to be more of an incentive to do them. In this game, I attempted to do side missions in the beginning, but I soon realized that they weren't helping me accomplish anything, so I stopped and just focused on the story. Much like the last game with the weird roof attacks, once you do the initial tutorial mission, you never have to do anything like that the rest of the game. Once you finish the story, you just end up back in the world with all this random crap to do.
Oh man, those rooftop tower defense mini-games were the WORST. So glad they removed them. Though you're right - the side missions really haven't ever given super compelling reasons to finish them unless you're an achievement whore or a completionist (which I am, unfortunately). This time around at least the ship side missions had their own story running within, but it wasn't at all necessary to the plot.

ATimson wrote: View Post
And I'm annoyed that once again the damn thing ended on a cliffhanger.
Earlier games ended on a cliffhanger. This one... it is sequel bait, but they managed to wrap everything up and it feels like it would be a satisfying place to fall off the wagon.
I agree - it leaves the door open to more, but Desmond's story is over. He completed what he set out to do in AC1 and now it looks like they're just starting a new story thread.