Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 4 2012, 02:39 AM   #91
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS's largest one time prop.

[QUOTE=Timo;7325989]
And then there's Nemesis, where the lowermost deck of the ship apparently has a bottomless shaft extending down from it.
Lowermost deck? Why would the Viceroy be on the lowermost deck of the ship? He was going to kidnap Picard, who was on the bridge - the Viceroy would be far more likely to be near the topmost deck! Or more likely at the top of the secondary hull and the bottom of the primary one, where Riker and Worf would meet him at halfway point. Plenty of room for a long shaft - and indeed a good justification for having such a shaft, as the vertical warp core is near the primary/secondary hull junction and no doubt has associated service shafts.
It's the bottom of the ship; that's where the boarding party beamed in at, it is pretty specific in dialog, and I think it is two decks lower than the lowest deck on the ship in FC. Unless they managed to ascend a long ways before security responded (and I can't see why that would be permitted, but hey, did anybody really think about any of this in NEM?), the shootout is down low.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 09:47 AM   #92
Timo
Admiral

It's the bottom of the ship; that's where the boarding party beamed in at, it is pretty specific in dialog
Where the boarding party beamed in and where the fight took place must be two completely different locations - the Remans would not stand still. We can see that both sides in the conflict proceed on foot, so a meeting at the halfway point is rather likely.

Furthermore, the fight continues after the two sides meet; it takes a long time for the action to move to the bottomless shaft. All that time, the Viceroy would be heading up; Riker would be desperately trying to catch up with him, but the Reman would have no motivation to loiter and deal with the Commander when his logical course of action would be to leave Riker far behind (that is, below).

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2014, 12:16 PM   #93
davwir
Cadet

Does anyone know the exact locations where the Obelisk and Indian Village were filmed?
I actually live pretty close to Franklin Canyon Reservoir, and MUST go check out the site! (I have been to Vasquez Rocks many times, totally awesome!)
davwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2014, 12:34 PM   #94
Mytran
Commodore

Check this thread out: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=253609
If you scroll through the first few pages you will discover the exact locations where they filmed this episode, as well likely locations of the Obelisk itself
Mytran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2014, 03:07 PM   #95
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Star Trek's largest one-time prop...

Old November 7 2014, 06:14 PM   #96
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

Ssosmcin wrote: View Post

And worst made.
Old November 7 2014, 07:17 PM   #97
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'd actually file that under "largest one time tool".
Old November 8 2014, 12:28 AM   #98
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Said it before and will say it again, TOS looks best filmed outdoors in natural light. Imagine how great Who Mourns For Adonais would have looked outdoors with a real garden.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2014, 03:27 AM   #99
scotpens
Vice Admiral

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
Said it before and will say it again, TOS looks best filmed outdoors in natural light. Imagine how great Who Mourns For Adonais would have looked outdoors with a real garden.
It all depends on the kind of story being told. "Spectre of the Gun" benefited from using stylized, surreal, minimalist sets. It wouldn't have worked if they'd shot it in a stock backlot frontier town.
Old November 8 2014, 04:13 AM   #100
Christopher
Writer

Also, Earth's "natural light" is only natural for a planet 1 astronomical unit from a main-sequence G2 star. Extrasolar planets really should have different lighting. As a matter of fact, the temperature and spectrum of an M-type red dwarf isn't that far off from that of an incandescent light bulb, so some planets' outdoor light might look more like indoor light.

I thought they did a great job in "Metamorphosis" making the soundstage look like an exterior -- not perfect, but a very nice illusion, even including stage smoke to create "clouds" in the sky.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2014, 05:05 AM   #101
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

One episode that I wish had some sort of on-location shots is Amok Time.

Although I'm not sure they had the technology to make the sky red if they had done some of it on location.

Another episode that seemed to have great use of nighttime sets, if I remember correctly, is Alternative Factor. (Or am I remembering it wrong?)

So there's no sign of the Obelisk?
Old November 8 2014, 07:15 PM   #102
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

EnriqueH wrote: View Post

Another episode that seemed to have great use of nighttime sets, if I remember correctly, is Alternative Factor. (Or am I remembering it wrong?)
I'm not recalling night scenes in that ep. Not that I've seen it that much, or lately.
Old November 8 2014, 07:30 PM   #103
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
One episode that I wish had some sort of on-location shots is Amok Time.

Although I'm not sure they had the technology to make the sky red if they had done some of it on location.
Placing a red gel in front of the camera lens might have worked, it would have given everything a soft red cast.

T'Pol in ENT said that from the surface of Vulcan the sky was occasional blue. Earth is blue and white from space, but all last week Seattle's sky's were very grey.

Old November 8 2014, 07:47 PM   #104
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

BillJ wrote: View Post

I'd actually file that under "largest one time tool".
Considering every Admiral, Governer or simply authority figure on TOS throughout it's run, he had some major competition.

Someone please write a TOS novel where the nickname for SFC is 'the toolshed'.
Old November 8 2014, 08:07 PM   #105
trynda1701
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forbin wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
...In the TMP Enterprise, the rec deck is too tall to fit inside the rim of the saucer (due to that undercut thing on the miniature)
Not to mention the turbolift shafts where we see a lift coming down from the ceiling of a room that's on the topmost deck of the saucer rim!
The undercut has always bothered me since I bought the original blueprints for the TOS Enterprise!

I'm not visualizing about the bit about the turboshafts, unless you mean the two lighted shafts either side of the past Enterprise displays that Admiral Kirk stands in front of to give the crew briefing?

At any event, the original point about the Obelisk being an impressive 'object' stands. It sells itself as out of place compared to the Amerind village.