Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 3 2012, 10:08 PM   #1261
throwback
Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

For me, this is an investment into DS9. If I and others buy this set, and the sets to come, this will show to CBS that there is interest in Star Trek on Blue-Ray. Enough interest will persuade CBS to do DS9 on Blue-Ray.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:10 PM   #1262
Jaro Stun
Captain

Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Buying S2 in its current state simply sends the message to CBS that this level of quality is all it takes to get your money. But that aside...

Let's assume that we get what I think we can unanimously agree we ALL want, which is for CBS to learn its lesson from this situation and for future seasons to be up to the level of S1. So down the road (2014 or so) CBS has 6 great-looking seasons and one mediocre (at best) season to sell (on home video but also streaming and TV syndication). If (as I contend) the incremental costs involved in correcting S2's flaws are relatively small (but not to say trivial) given the scope of the entire project, before wrapping the entire TNG-R project and moving on to, say, DS9, why wouldn't CBS revisit S2 to bring it up to the level of the other seasons? Sure they don't have to, but they get good PR and they'll sell you another box.

Sure I'd rather have a corrected S2 now rather than later, but I only want to buy S2 once -- when it's done right.

I can only point to industry precedent; Fox remastered the Patton BD to a much smaller market four years later when the initial release got mostly positive reviews (the outcry over excessive DNR came some months/years later). Here we have a higher-profile release, with a long buildup of criticism of the PQ leading up to mostly mixed first-hand reviews.

IMO we should be calling for a re-remaster of S2 sooner rather than later (owing to short attention spans in the biz), rather than giving CBS a mulligan for S2. Everyone votes with their wallet; just think about the message you're sending.
realistically I dont see the re-remaster happening, even though business case might be there (less sales for fixed box, but also significantly less cost to invest).

i'm on the fence about cancelling my pre-order too, but OTOH, it is going to be better than DVD, despite it appears to be significantly inferior to S1.

If they really watch these forums, I hope they have learned from their mistake and now see that while medicore quality might sell a few boxes too, the general fandom tastes can be spoiled easily.
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:26 PM   #1263
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

I'm buying the set, because I love TNG and I want to have S2 on BD too.
But if they do read this forum, I'm very pleased to let them know that originally I've had plans to buy several copies of this as christmas present for friends.
This they can forget about now, I've found other presents for them already.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:35 PM   #1264
Beatnik
Lieutenant Commander

I'm surprised that nobody has posted the S3 trailer yet anywhere (that I've found). I suppose waiting 1 more day won't matter...
Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 11:16 PM   #1265
Salinga
Captain

Jaro Stun wrote: View Post
realistically I dont see the re-remaster happening, even though business case might be there (less sales for fixed box, but also significantly less cost to invest).
*yawn* That was also said about an HD transfer of TNG just three years ago: "Its never going to happen"
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 12:07 AM   #1266
Salinga
Captain

"Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2 "The Child" Opening Shot SD to Remastered Comparison"
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 12:17 AM   #1267
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Based on other effects shots I've seen, this is one of the better ones by HTV. The lights actually line up with the model! *High five* Not particularly wowing, but it won't make me cringe either. The framing is also cropped and zoomed on all four sides in the live-action shot, but only slightly.

Was there an added effect in the original SD to diffuse the light of the windows, or was that just a flaw? Either way, the remaster doesn't match that. It looks smoother and slightly more realistic (less like a model) in the SD shot, however.

I noticed the Excelsior-class ship's running lights aren't blinking at the same time as before. Then in the shuttlebay shot, the running lights aren't blinking at all. What a bunch of hacks. j/k
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:09 AM   #1268
MickJo1701
Commander

Besides its obviously higher resolution, the original still is better. The ship elements just don't fit in with the scene because the lighting is powerful and neither are colour corrected. There has to be a reason why they desaturated the beauty pass, the 6ft Enterprise is not grey.

Cant wait to see CBS D's pass at this shot in BoBW.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:23 AM   #1269
davejames
Vice Admiral

A couple more reviews. No mention of any effects problems, and they actually take issue more with the quality of the season itself (which seems to me about right).

http://io9.com/5965278/that-new-blu+...k-tng-season-2

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...6729f359000037
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:36 AM   #1270
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

It takes something egregious like Patton (also by HTV) or Predator (hm, I wonder...) for reviewers to take exception.

Otherwise, only those intimately involved with this (aka fans like us, TrekCore, Digital Bits) will notice a drop from season 1.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:55 AM   #1271
RAMA
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
A couple more reviews. No mention of any effects problems, and they actually take issue more with the quality of the season itself (which seems to me about right).

http://io9.com/5965278/that-new-blu+...k-tng-season-2

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...6729f359000037
Geez, its my least favorite season but the Io9 review makes me feel old, like we're watching stuff from the 1920s...

There's a few episodes to love other than what he mentioned: Loud as a Whisper is profound to many people for finding strength in weakness, I liked it a lot. Contagion is a gem. Peak Performance stands up in several levels to later episodes. I re-watch "Time Squared" as often as any season 2 episodes. Elementary, Dear Data goes a level further than "The Big Goodbye" and has a charming homage to the 40s Rathbone Holmes. "A Matter of Honor" has Riker at his best, showing the willingness to accept other cultures and ideas despite perceived strangeness. I even have a soft spot for "Unnatural Selection", with one of the better teasers of the series.
Old December 4 2012, 01:59 AM   #1272
davejames
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
It takes something egregious like Patton (also by HTV) or Predator (hm, I wonder...) for reviewers to take exception.

Otherwise, only those intimately involved with this (aka fans like us, TrekCore, Digital Bits) will notice a drop from season 1.
Even among Trek fans, I bet it's a really small percentage who really fixate on stuff like this.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 02:34 AM   #1273
Mutai Sho-Rin

Torrent discussions are against board rules. Don't make us start handing out warnings.
Old December 4 2012, 03:29 AM   #1274
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Salinga wrote: View Post
"Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2 "The Child" Opening Shot SD to Remastered Comparison"
That shot along with the music is one of my favorites in the series. Glad it "survived" the transition looking good.
Old December 4 2012, 04:00 AM   #1275
dg1379
Commander

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Salinga wrote: View Post
That shot along with the music is one of my favorites in the series. Glad it "survived" the transition looking good.
I like that scene too! It really lets you know its the start of a new season.
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote