Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 4 2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Yesterday's Enterprise battle

I came across an interesting version of the cool battle from YE. In this case all of the exterior battle shots have been done with CG models. Not bad overall.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:42 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Yesterday's Enterprise battle

It's a pretty good job. I wish they would've spruced up the combat sequences a bit if they were going to do that instead of just carbon copying the original ones.
Old December 4 2012, 01:59 AM   #3
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I saw that about a year ago I think, they did "spruce" up some of the shots. I DO wish they would do this type of work more often on the STNG remastering.

RAMA
Old December 4 2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Dream
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
I saw that about a year ago I think, they did "spruce" up some of the shots. I DO wish they would do this type of work more often on the STNG remastering.
They've constant said the TNG remastering is not about adding in a ton of new HD CGI space battles. That would be too expensive to do for this kind of project.

Not sure how they are going to handle later DS9 seasons or the entire VOY series, which would required all that.
Old December 4 2012, 02:53 AM   #5
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I've always felt Picard's battle orders in that scene were very lackadaisically given, like it wasn't that big of a fight.

This heading & that heading & dispersal patterns instead of "fire everything!"

It was like he was giving orders to catalog a gaseous anomaly.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 02:55 AM   #6
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

RAMA
The only shot that's significantly different is at 2:30. Everything else looks pretty much like it did in the original.

But it would be nice if for all the CGI updates is when they say "evasive maneuvers" they actually evade and not just sit there.
Old December 4 2012, 03:13 AM   #7
bullethead
Fleet Captain

We already had a big thread about this a while back, but the one thing that irks me about that video (besides the lack of evasive maneuvers to make the Starfleet guys look less stupid) is that they reuse the stock Ent-D instead of one that looks more like a warship (which can be done by removing most of the windows - I can't tell, but that seems like it could've been done with a texture tweak on the model used in this vid, at least).
Old December 4 2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Timo
Admiral

I've always felt Picard's battle orders in that scene were very lackadaisically given, like it wasn't that big of a fight. This heading & that heading & dispersal patterns instead of "fire everything!"
We have to consider that Picard did not want to win. He had a specific tactical goal in that battle, and it had nothing to do with destroying Klingon ships or ensuring the survival of the E-D. All that mattered was getting the E-C safely back into the timehole.

I can buy extremely restrained fire, then: Picard would have to goad the Klingons into attacking his own ship and ignoring the E-C, while making sure the Klingons did not realize they were being goaded.

Indeed, I wouldn't have been surprised if Picard had used surrender as one of his tactical maneuvers here; it might have been among the most effective in securing victory for his side. But apparently this war-hardened version of the Captain was blind to such an option.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

It looks pretty good, but one thing though: the ships move far too slow. I hope when HD gets up to some of TNG's bigger battle scenes they make them a little more actiony.
Old December 4 2012, 10:48 AM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
It looks pretty good, but one thing though: the ships move far too slow. I hope when HD gets up to some of TNG's bigger battle scenes they make them a little more actiony.
Pretty much what I was getting at when I suggested the 3d model should've spruced up the combat sequences a bit. I get that in the early 90's they had to use models, so insane maneuvers were hard to pull off, but with computer animation now, that's really not a constraint.
Old December 4 2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Mott the barber
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Would be cool but it's unlikely given the way they're treating the remastering (preserve model work and not totally re-do it unless negatives are missing).
Old December 4 2012, 08:43 PM   #12
The Keeper
Commodore

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
It's a pretty good job. I wish they would've spruced up the combat sequences a bit if they were going to do that instead of just carbon copying the original ones.
This is the problem I have with TOS-R. It still has a lot of the same crappy, jarring effects, only prettier.
*waits for TOS-Re-Remastered: The Ultimate Editions*

Dream wrote: View Post
They've constant said the TNG remastering is not about adding in a ton of new HD CGI space battles. That would be too expensive to do for this kind of project.

Not sure how they are going to handle later DS9 seasons or the entire VOY series, which would required all that.
(EM) And this is why I won't be getting them, either. Not caring enough to go though all the trouble & expense to make them something I'd really, really want to buy again makes me care less as well. Same goes for any of the series they decide to do a lackluster job, I ain't buying them.

Edit, sorry for the OT rant.

Last edited by The Keeper; December 4 2012 at 09:15 PM.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:17 PM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I haven't bought any of the Bluray DVDs yet, and really don't see any reasons to. If they spruced up the space scenes like they did with the Star Wars ep 4 Death Star battle, that'd be cool and worth spending the money on, but just throwing a new coat of paint on an old clunker isn't enough to sell me.
Old December 5 2012, 12:38 AM   #14
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I still think that CGI battle looks worse than the model work in the actual episode.
Old December 5 2012, 02:19 AM   #15
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I still think that CGI battle looks worse than the model work in the actual episode.
Well yeah, it wasn't made with the best models, textures, and effects ever. It kinda looks like someone used Bridge Commander to make the video.