Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 4 2012, 12:40 AM   #16
Captain Rob
Commodore

Re: USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony

The WW2 era CV-6 was never included in those displays. And it was the one real Enterprise that should have been.
As for longevity of aircraft carriers. There's an aircraft carrier on display in Corpus Christie called the USS Lexington. It's one of the first WW2 era Essex class built and was launched in 1942. It was decommissioned in 1993. Making it also 51 years old at it's decommisioning. It's the sister of the Intrepid in New York City, the Hornet in Oakland, and the Yorktown in South Carolina.
Old December 4 2012, 02:19 AM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

N-121973 wrote: View Post
Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Here's an article about CVN-80 being named Enterprise:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/break...0,764621.story

Every Trek fan will be happy for this! We've had the old Enterprise in service for the entirety of the franchise history until now; it would be tragic not to have a ship named Enterprise around - or at least planned to be around.

Now, while the CVN-80 Enterprise won't be commissioned until 2025-2027, keep in mind that the hull is designed to be in service for a whopping 50 years MINIMUM - for comparison, the previous Enterprise was designed for 25 years and more than doubled it. Our next Enterprise will be with us for a good long time!

Mark
Yeah, by that reckoning its successor will be the NX-01 .

PS you do realise all those wall displays of previous Enterprises in Star Trek are now no longer canon .
None of those displays have ever featured all Enterprises. Obviously they're all missing the NX-01. The one in TMP is the only one to feature the ringship, and they've only ever featured one aircraft carrier, despite the fact that there have already been two in the US Navy (CVN-80 will be the third). Hell, the one in the Enterprise D's briefing room left out the 19th century Enterprise, only had one aircraft carrier, and featured the wrong designs for the Enterprises B and C.

The canonical value of those displays has not been threatened at all.
Old December 4 2012, 02:50 AM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
The WW2 era CV-6 was never included in those displays.
I guess you didn't see Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

EDIT: Link doesn't want to work.
Go to Memory Alpha. Type CV-6 into their search.
Article will appear in list as USS Enterprise (CV-6).

Thanks to The Wormhole for the holler.

Last edited by Melakon; December 4 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 05:33 AM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
The WW2 era CV-6 was never included in those displays.
I guess you didn't see Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)
"Memory Alpha does not yet have an article with this name."
Old December 4 2012, 06:27 AM   #20
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the warning, I failed to test it. Urls look the same to me so don't know what happened. I modified the post.

I deserve Zek's "You failed. MISERABLY!" for that.
Maybe he should be a custom emoticon here.
Old December 4 2012, 09:28 AM   #21
Captain Rob
Commodore

Enterprise CV-6 is in TMP? I don't seem to remember it. Now I've got an excuse to go watch my Director's Cut. Again. Much better than the original. I like the idea of changing pictures.
There needs to be a petition to save the ship for a museum. The first nuclear sub, USS Nautilus with it's one nuclear reactor, is on display in Conneticut. In the water yet. It should be possible, after defueling the Enterprise, to pump in concrete and fill all of the contaminated machinery spaces. The ship's been defueled and refueled before. All it would take is money. And I'd pay extra taxes fot that.
Old December 4 2012, 09:37 AM   #22
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The CV-6 photo is probably pretty small. It's when Decker and Ilia are on the rec deck. "All these ships were named Enterprise."
Old December 4 2012, 05:16 PM   #23
J.T.B.
Commodore

There needs to be a petition to save the ship for a museum. The first nuclear sub, USS Nautilus with it's one nuclear reactor, is on display in Conneticut. In the water yet. It should be possible, after defueling the Enterprise, to pump in concrete and fill all of the contaminated machinery spaces. The ship's been defueled and refueled before. All it would take is money. And I'd pay extra taxes fot that.
We've been over that before. The difficulties and costs would be enormous, and it's never going to happen.

Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:23 PM   #24
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Hum, this makes me curious. Summarizing the ship linneages seen in various episodes or movies:

Enterprise: Sailing ship, CV-65, Shuttle, NX-01. (a fifth sketch of CV-6 was made but not used)

TMP: Sailing ship, CV-6, Shuttle, Ringship, pre-refit TOS Enterprise.

E-D: CVN-65 and five Enterprises, E-nil through E-D. Note that none of these are especially detailed (for example CVN-65 has the right island tower, but a non-angled deck that could be CV-6) so one MIGHT forgive the E-B differences, but not the E-C.

E-E (First Contact): Six Enterprises, E-nil through E-E

E-E (Nemesis): Same thing (same models, stacked up on one side of the main display)

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Captain Rob
Commodore

I think that on TNG that the Enterprise models were all just profile models attached to thee back wall. Not full-blown models. Where as on FC we saw full model kits that were just painted gold. That way they could fly apart and break when Picard hit the display case. That way Lily could say "You broke your little ships."
Old December 5 2012, 07:07 PM   #26
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

The E-D lounge models did have more than just profile - they didn't exactly feature the saucers proportionately sticking out of the wall (which would have been tough to walk around), but they had more detail around various nacelles, etc.:

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com...pg?w=655&h=362

And hey, I was wrong about the E-E lounge - it DID feature the same six Enterprises on both sides of the main viewer:

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/...den-starships/

Interestingly enough, John Eaves had made models of the shuttle, CVN-65, plus a non-refit Excelsior, Miranda, Intrepid, and Oberth (!) models to go in the "other" case opposite; however when he brought them to the studio he found they'd already put duplicates of the six Enterprises in both cases. It's silly to have a mirrored display like that, but I think I like that idea better than having to explain why four unrelated ship classes are in there too, or why the NX-01 isn't in there despite the show being on the air at that time (and stranger still that Eaves designed the thing).

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/...en-enterprise/

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 02:41 AM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^The NX-01 was designed by Drexler, not Eaves.