Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 3 2012, 09:28 PM   #196
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Wait, so if someone wanted to license the Japanese live action movie... is that a separate license, or is that tied to whomever owns the American movie rights?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:16 PM   #197
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Not quite sure. We can use the 1+ year old Yamato live action movie from Japan as an example. It's been out for some time under Japanese publication in various formats (with relatively decent subtitles), but it has yet to be brought in under an American license. I'm not quite sure how long such things take with other properties, but lots of people in this thread keep mentioning the Disney license from the failed live-action script from many years ago (Arizona! God it was horrible!) - it is possible that there may be a difference in the way the licenses work (akin to BSG). That, plus the additional complexity of foreign import and copyright laws, likely muddy the issue even further. There was also the weird feud going on between Yoshinobu Nishizaki and Reiji Matsumoto over who owned the rights to Yamato to begin with, leading to some confusion between the canonical place of Nishizaki's "Yamato Resurrection" and Matsumoto's "Great Yamato/Great Galaxy" project in the Yamato universe. Then the Nish died (not long after being released from jail on an odd firearms charge) and I don't think anyone is quite sure who is authorized to sell the rights to an American publishing house. Is it the Nishizaki estate, or is it Matsumoto, or someone else entirely? I honestly don't know the exact details of the whole multi-corporate licensing mechanism, I'm just making a semi-educated guess based on the things I've seen/read/heard so far and my information may be woefully out of date.

Any way you cut it, it's messy...
Old December 4 2012, 02:34 AM   #198
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

^Actually, someone did it, because my library was able to order it for their collection.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 03:25 AM   #199
bullethead
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Not quite sure. We can use the 1+ year old Yamato live action movie from Japan as an example. It's been out for some time under Japanese publication in various formats (with relatively decent subtitles), but it has yet to be brought in under an American license. I'm not quite sure how long such things take with other properties, but lots of people in this thread keep mentioning the Disney license from the failed live-action script from many years ago (Arizona! God it was horrible!) - it is possible that there may be a difference in the way the licenses work (akin to BSG). That, plus the additional complexity of foreign import and copyright laws, likely muddy the issue even further. There was also the weird feud going on between Yoshinobu Nishizaki and Reiji Matsumoto over who owned the rights to Yamato to begin with, leading to some confusion between the canonical place of Nishizaki's "Yamato Resurrection" and Matsumoto's "Great Yamato/Great Galaxy" project in the Yamato universe. Then the Nish died (not long after being released from jail on an odd firearms charge) and I don't think anyone is quite sure who is authorized to sell the rights to an American publishing house. Is it the Nishizaki estate, or is it Matsumoto, or someone else entirely? I honestly don't know the exact details of the whole multi-corporate licensing mechanism, I'm just making a semi-educated guess based on the things I've seen/read/heard so far and my information may be woefully out of date.

Any way you cut it, it's messy...
IIRC, Matsumoto lost out on that case (I think I read that on ANN), but I'm not sure if the Nishizaki estate actually has any rights to it or if the rights went wholesale to the Japanese studio.
Old December 4 2012, 06:13 AM   #200
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I totally forgot that there was a Library Wars movie. lol

And yeah, I really like Yamato, but not enough to spend over 700 dollars for it.
I can't believe you bought the two Fate/Zero boxes though... man. lol
My bank account said the same thing. What can I say, I'm a huge Type/Moon fan, and also a huge Yuki Kajiura fan so the included OSTs sold me. It's a fantastic looking show by itself but it looks even better on BD....

What I really want own in that vein is Carnival Phantasm though. That show is insanely hilarious and it's a shame nobody's licensed it.

As for the Library Wars film, I'm blind buying it and hoping it's at least as good as the series. I needed to blow a buch of "points" at the site I bought it from anyway, so I paid far less than normal price for it either way.
Old December 4 2012, 06:54 PM   #201
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Ah yeah, I remember that lawsuit from a few years ago. This seems more complicated that the stupid Macross stuff with Harmony Gold.

And zakkrusz, I guess I can't blame you if you like the series. The box sets are pretty premium at least... god knows I spent 800 bucks on Star Trek TNG on DVD way back when.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old December 6 2012, 07:45 AM   #202
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

I have most of the Star Treks too. That would be another $300 down the hole though in order to get the remaining one and rectify that. I suppose I will eventually. It's kinda a hassle to plan and set aside the leisure cash for something expensive like that though. I don't like to do it often. In fact I wouldn't do it unless what I was buying was an "A" ranked series. Usually I just have monthly DVD Collecting budget I stick to.

Last edited by zakkrusz; December 6 2012 at 08:05 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 03:16 PM   #203
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, I'm rebuying TNG on BD, so that's another 600 bucks down the drain over the next couple of years.

Old December 14 2012, 04:47 PM   #204
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Thanks to a friend I've managed to see the first ten episodes, and whoa.

I admit I've been burned out on anime for several years, but this has really gotten me hooked. Not sure if I should talk about it in detail though. Don't want to spoil it for anyone. But defenately get it if you have a chance. Its like reliving my childhood, but without the embarrassing dialog and even worse science.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 05:03 PM   #205
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Well, I'm rebuying TNG on BD, so that's another 600 bucks down the drain over the next couple of years.
Maybe a bit less...they just did a price drop on the BD for S2 to ~$60 I read...that would make all 7 seasons around $420 or so.

Still too much IMO, but I seem to be of a minority opinion.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 05:45 AM   #206
Ithekro
Captain

The trailer for Chapter 4 (Episodes 11-14) was released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmO-z08LdM

Looks like plenty of action this time around.

Also Gamilon warships engaging Comet Empire warships somewhere on their frontier.
Plus Gamlon subspace dimensional submarine attack on Yamato.

That Gamilas got all the really good older male actors.

Last edited by Ithekro; December 15 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 01:18 PM   #207
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

So it really is possible to remake a classic without screwing it up.

Hear that Hollywood?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 02:48 PM   #208
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Also Gamilon warships engaging Comet Empire warships somewhere on their frontier.
So basically Domeru is telling the sorting algorithm of evil to go screw itself.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 07:42 PM   #209
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Man, this next batch of episodes looks great.

Old December 18 2012, 12:44 AM   #210
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Man, this next batch of episodes looks great.
Already Pre-ordered the 4th Bluray disc (with english subtitles) from CD Japan about a day after receiving Bluray disc 3 back on Nov. 30, 2012.

Really looking forward to the Feb, 22, 2013 release date (they're really good about shipping as soon as it's released in Japan); just wish is could be sooner.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote