Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 3 2012, 02:56 PM   #871
throwback
Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

I doubtful that the Governor will trust Merle again. Merle has lied to the Governor twice - the prison can't be taken, and Michionne is dead. Both lies have resulted in the town being attacked, the death of Penny, and erosion in the faith of the people for their Governor.

I am tired of the shtick of black man in, black man out.

I am anticipating the latter half of this season.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 03:10 PM   #872
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
Merle and Darryl will be back with the group for the midseason finale [...]
Nope. This was the midseason finale.

The show returns February 10.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:39 PM   #873
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
What Michonee said instead: ... *stares, turns, runs away*
I think Michonne was fed up with her. When someone she once thought of as a friend is so taken by the governor--and holds a gun on her, it is as hopeless a feeling as family members who visited Jonestown, only see them completely under the control of a psychopath/manipulator.

Michonne probably thought, "Andrea, you asked for everything you're going to get."
Mojochi wrote: View Post
I got the impression it was turning her back on Andrea. She's done with her now & not even willing to offer a "Look around, dumbass, & wake the fuck up"
Yeah, she only lowered her sword because she was thinking, "I don't want to risk getting any dumbass germs on a really good blade."

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I have a different theory about Merle.

Yes the Governor is pissed at him, but when they caught Daryl, he decided to stage the events in the pit, to set Merle up as the inside man in Rick's camp. He already knew Daryl and Merle were brothers when he was brought into the pit.

He will allow them to escape, even if it costs him a few more bodies, simply because he doesn't want these neighbors so close. He'll lose his control over some of the citizens of Woodbury if they think they can be safer at the prison.

When the Governor is through using Merle, then he will kill him.
I'm suspecting your theory is moving toward truth, only I think the entire Merle being a prisoner scene is complete set up and he remains a trusted member of Woodbury. When the confrontation with Maggie happens in the woods, that will be Daryl's turning point as Merle tries to turn the "older brother" screws again.
I disagree. He's making Merle out to be an inside man for his own purposes, but everything he said in the pit was true. He said Merle was a traitor and that Merle had brought the attackers there.

Merle was a traitor for lying about Michonne (which the Governor discovered the hard way). And Merle did bring the attackers down on them by failing to kill Michonne and by taking the others prisoner. (Despite the fact that the Governor was okay with that too.)

It was pretty obvious before this that the Governor was having some doubts about Merle. So it would serve his purposes to let Merle take the fall for real.

I am a little unclear, however, on exactly how he knew Daryl was Merle's brother.

Okay, so: Talking Dead confirms that Rick is hallucinating Shane. I wasn't sure if I saw what I saw.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 06:12 PM   #874
sojourner
Admiral

I missed this whole Shane hallucination some how. When and where does it happen? Oh wait, was that one guy he gunned down supposed to be Shane? I didn't even realize. He looked so different with hair and the sideburns.
Old December 3 2012, 06:20 PM   #875
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Just think of him as Season One Shane.
Old December 3 2012, 06:47 PM   #876
davejames
Vice Admiral

What Michonne could have said: Andrea, this nutjob has been keeping his turned daughter in a cage and running experiments on walkers trying to bring her back to life. Oh, and did you not see his wall-o-heads? The one on top is the pilot. He killed the pilot. He killed the National Guard guys. He captured people on the road and is holding them, most likely to torture and use in his walker experiments. This dude is straight up Hannibal Lecter crazy. If he thinks skinning you and wearing you as a Sunday School dress will bring his daughter back, money's even he will do it. Wake the fuck up, shoot his crazy ass and let's get out of here!

Lol, somehow I just can't see Michonne ever being that talkative.

Plus, she just barely survived an incredibly brutal and intense fight with the Governor. I imagine putting together a coherent sentence would probably be hard for anyone after something like that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 06:53 PM   #877
superdeluxe
Captain

Loved the episode last night!

Love the new 'mini' group and how it will intermingle with the Rick and Co.

Michonne was bad ass in her fight with the Gov.

Merle/Daryl Tag team battle action?

Andrea, even after everything you have seen, you are still sticking with the guy?

Enjoyed the whole 'lesbian' conversation lol.

Carl: taking charge and kicking arse

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 07:09 PM   #878
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I disagree. He's making Merle out to be an inside man for his own purposes, but everything he said in the pit was true. He said Merle was a traitor and that Merle had brought the attackers there.

Merle was a traitor for lying about Michonne (which the Governor discovered the hard way). And Merle did bring the attackers down on them by failing to kill Michonne and by taking the others prisoner. (Despite the fact that the Governor was okay with that too.)
That's the key point: the Governor is--among other negative things--a hypocrite; he was okay with Merle taking prisoners (who were armed, and cleaned up enough to suggest they are doing well, which--in that world--would mean another protected location).

Adding to that, he was fine with planning to attack the prison, never stopping to consider that Maggie could have lied about the numbers, and he was clueless about her group's firepower. He was willing to walk into a situation that has the chance to go south, and lead vengeful survivors right back to Woodbury, yet he blames Merle for his latest troubles?

I am a little unclear, however, on exactly how he knew Daryl was Merle's brother.
I think the only plausible explanation is that Daryl--knowing that Merle is there--revealed his identity off screen, as a way of protecting himself from harm.

Anyone catch the preview's quick cut of Beth planting (what seemed to be) a tender kiss on Rick?

Uh-oh....father vs. son....
Old December 3 2012, 07:20 PM   #879
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

That's the key point: the Governor is--among other negative things--a hypocrite; he was okay with Merle taking prisoners (who were armed, and cleaned up enough to suggest they are doing well, which--in that world--would mean another protected location).

Adding to that, he was fine with planning to attack the prison, never stopping to consider that Maggie could have lied about the numbers, and he was clueless about her group's firepower. He was willing to walk into a situation that has the chance to go south, and lead vengeful survivors right back to Woodbury, yet he blames Merle for his latest troubles?
Well... let's just say Merle is an easy target. The Governor is a control freak, and as you say, he's also a hypocrite. When things go wrong this badly, he has to find someone to take the fall so he can shift blame and stay on top.

It was just convenient that everything he said about Merle was technically true. That's why I don't think this is a put-on. Merle is in trouble for real. (And it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!)

On the other hand, it also means that the Governor believes his own hypocrisy. But for someone who's a little out of touch with reality that also fits. "Subject myself to the horrors", indeed.

I think the only plausible explanation is that Daryl--knowing that Merle is there--revealed his identity off screen, as a way of protecting himself from harm
Works for me!
Old December 3 2012, 07:38 PM   #880
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

^That was my assumption, as well.

I think it would be dramatically very satisfying to have Daryl kill Merle, but I'm not so sure that will happen. It would, however, be great for Daryl's development to get past the abuse of his upbringing.
Old December 3 2012, 07:53 PM   #881
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Well... let's just say Merle is an easy target. The Governor is a control freak, and as you say, he's also a hypocrite. When things go wrong this badly, he has to find someone to take the fall so he can shift blame and stay on top.

It was just convenient that everything he said about Merle was technically true. That's why I don't think this is a put-on. Merle is in trouble for real. (And it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!)

On the other hand, it also means that the Governor believes his own hypocrisy. But for someone who's a little out of touch with reality that also fits. "Subject myself to the horrors", indeed.

I think the only plausible explanation is that Daryl--knowing that Merle is there--revealed his identity off screen, as a way of protecting himself from harm
Works for me!
I like to compare the Governor here blaming Merle to the Joker in Batman 89. When the Joker shoots Bob after Batman takes his balloons. It's always the trusted helps fault when something goes wrong.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 07:54 PM   #882
JD
Admiral

Loved the episode.
I think at this point Andrea is beyond redemption. If she's going to keep seeing all of the craziness going on at Woodbury and not leave, then she's probably never going to leave or turn her back on the Governor.
I'm wondering if the loss of his daughter will make the Governor even more crazy and evil.
I'm thinking the whole Merle/Daryl fight is simply a set up so Merle can be the Gov.'s double agent.
I'm disappointed to see Oscar die so soon, I was hoping we'd get more stuff with him before he died.
Tyreese didn't do anything to impressive yet, but I am very curious to see more of him and his group.
Old December 3 2012, 08:08 PM   #883
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Loved the episode.
I think at this point Andrea is beyond redemption. If she's going to keep seeing all of the craziness going on at Woodbury and not leave, then she's probably never going to leave or turn her back on the Governor.
I'm afraid you're right.

I'm wondering if the loss of his daughter will make the Governor even more crazy and evil.
I was undecided if we'd see this, or if he'd just turn into a raving maniac. Since he hasn't shown any signs of going berserk yet, I think crazy/evil is definitely what we'll see.

I'm thinking the whole Merle/Daryl fight is simply a set up so Merle can be the Gov.'s double agent.
I disagree for reasons posted above. Merle has screwed up way too many times for the Governor to trust him with that. Maybe if Merle hadn't lied to him about Michonne before she showed up and stabbed his daughter. But after that....

Tyreese didn't do anything to impressive yet, but I am very curious to see more of him and his group.
He's done a couple of impressive things so far, the biggest one being the respect he showed to Carl. It wasn't the kind of respect you give when you're on the wrong end of a gun, either -- it was real respect. Tyreese appears to be a civilized guy.
Old December 3 2012, 08:38 PM   #884
JD
Admiral

Good one. That was a pretty great moment when Tyreese pulled Shovel Lady away from the door. I'm very curious to see what Rick's reaction will be when he sees them.
Old December 3 2012, 09:01 PM   #885
propita
Rear Admiral

They managed to make Andrea more of a fool and more hated by fans than Lori!

Wow!

Remember when fans didn't like Carl? What I like is that, not only have they changed his character, it is in a well-written, in-universe gradual way, instead of some cheap he's suddenly traumatized despite having been living through it all this time. Much appreciation for the writing, acting, and directing!!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote