Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 3 2012, 02:09 PM   #46
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Love, hate and the AMT Enterprise model

OH the amount of resin accurizing parts that have been made for that thing over the years!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 07:48 PM   #47
Son of Quark
Lieutenant

Love, hate and the AMT Enterprise model

Never built the Enterprise as a kid in the 70's, thogh I did build the K-7 Space Station. I thought it was coolest thing.
Old December 3 2012, 07:52 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Oh, yeah, I had the K-7 model too. Somehow I lost all of it except one arm/module.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 08:11 PM   #49
Son of Quark
Lieutenant

Love, hate and the AMT Enterprise model

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh, yeah, I had the K-7 model too. Somehow I lost all of it except one arm/module.
Man, I remember the arms/modules breaking off and me having to re-glue back on...
Old December 3 2012, 08:50 PM   #50
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Funny thing about the K-7 was the scale of the miniature Enterprise included with the kit. It was woefully out of scale, so it appears AMT simply looked at a clip of the 1701 in the background of the K-7 exterior, and assumed it was that small.
Old December 3 2012, 08:53 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

Do we really know how the scales compare?

Old December 4 2012, 02:56 AM   #52
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I think several ancillary sources have given specs on the size of K-7 compared to a Constitution class vessel. I will try to dig that up, but i'm almost certain the 1701 was not as small as the model included in the K-7 kit. That would make the K-7 as massive as the Death Star (in relation to a Star Destroyer), when the only TOS vehicles known to be that large were Balok's ship and the "planet killer" from "The Doomsday Machine."
Old December 4 2012, 03:14 AM   #53
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure you're right about the C or D cell batteries. I don't remember which though. It was nearly 50 years ago.
No, it was definitely two AA batteries. If you happen to have an unassembled kit and some C or D batteries lying around, try and see if they fit. (They don't.)
Okay, thanks guys.

Just out of curiosity, are the 2 AA batteries arranged side by side or are they arranged front to back, like 2 batteries inside a cylinder shaped flashlight, in the lower half of the secondary hull of the Enterprise model kit? The reason I ask is because I have memory of 2 "C" or "D" size batteries being arranged front to back (like in a flashlight) in the lower half of the secondary hull of the Enterprise model kit for some strange reason.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 05:26 AM   #54
E-DUB
Captain

They were double A's and they were put in sequentially (as in a flashlight). The closest thing to a scale match for the K-7 was the Ent from the 3 piece TOS set with the Ent, D-7, and ROM BOP. (Personally, I display mine with both Ent and D-7 Jonny Lightning ships.)
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 09:58 AM   #55
Captain Rob
Commodore

If Space Station K-7 was as big as the Death Star. Just think of all of the tribbles it could hold.
Old December 4 2012, 03:31 PM   #56
Christopher
Writer

Hmm, let's get a baseline. Assume an average tribble is a sphere with a radius of 5 cm, therefore a volume of 0.00052 m^3. The most efficient packing of spheres takes up 74% of available volume, so let's multiply that by 4/3 and call it 0.0007 m^3. So 1,771,561 tribbles -- three days' worth of reproduction -- would take up a volume of only 1236.8 cubic meters, equivalent to a cube 10.73 meters on a side -- or maybe about half the residential volume of the 15-unit apartment block where I live. Even a small K-7 could hold a lot more tribbles than that.

So how big is the Death Star? Estimates of the first one's diameter range from 120 to 140 km, which makes for a lot of variation in the volume estimates. But taking a roughly midrange value, the volume would be somewhere around 10^15 m^3. Therefore it could hold around 1.4 x 10^18 or 1.4 quintillion tribbles. (That's 1.4 billion billion.) Of course, realistically the tribbles would run out of food and starve to death long before they reached that number.

Old December 4 2012, 03:59 PM   #57
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

According to www.ex-astris-scientia.org, the K-7 is 450m and the Constitution Class ships are 289m. This confirms how out of scale the K-7 kit's 1701 was. It makes me wonder if AMT was hoping for a literal recreation of the scene as one would see it in "The Trouble with Tribbles," where the 1701 seems that small in the background.

The 6-inch long Enterprise as part of AMT's mid-70's Space Ship Set would have been a better scale fit for the K-7. I wonder of anyone ever tried to match the kits back in the day.
Old December 4 2012, 04:46 PM   #58
Christopher
Writer

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
According to www.ex-astris-scientia.org, the K-7 is 450m and the Constitution Class ships are 289m.
Based on what evidence? I said "know," not "conjecture."

EDIT: Okay, I tracked it down myself, and it says, "The diameter of 450m is based on a very rough comparison with the USS Enterprise and the small shuttle model in the shuttlebay of Greg Jein's reconstruction of K-7 for DS9: 'Trials and Tribble-ations'." So it's only approximate, although I guess it does get you within the ballpark.

Old December 4 2012, 05:08 PM   #59
Forbin
Admiral

Anybody wanna count widows and estimate number of decks?

Me neither.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 10:02 PM   #60
Albertese
Commodore

11 rows of windows on the center top cone. 5 rows of windows on each of the three outer cones. These are both from the DS9 version of the model. That wasn't so hard.

--Alex