Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 3 2012, 12:43 AM   #181
Ithekro
Captain

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

A non-region locked 10 minute preview of Episode 7 from Hikari TV:

http://www.hikaritv.net/sp/yamato2199/
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 04:55 AM   #182
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
zakkrusz wrote: View Post
^Or if the legal streaming website, Crunchyroll, picks up the series you may see one sooner.
With the odd release structure the show has, I doubt we'll see Crunchy pick it up until a little later in its run, if at all.

Then again, the Bandai YouTube channel would be a great way to release the episodes to people in Japan and overseas if they didn't put their stupid region locking on it like they did with Gundam AGE.
Yeah, but Crunchyroll has also been known to get OVAs every once in a while, Time of Eve and Ozma for instance.

Sadly Bandai Entertainment (USA) just officially died a month or two ago and will no longer be licensing anything. I don't know what the future of what their channel will be.

Last edited by zakkrusz; October 4 2012 at 05:14 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 10:39 AM   #183
Ithekro
Captain

Maybe a streaming service will take up the show once it goes on television. Right now it is being shown in theaters before the BD release, so I doubt Crunchyroll would get a theatrical film release streamed.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:47 PM   #184
bullethead
Fleet Captain

zakkrusz wrote: View Post
Sadly Bandai Entertainment (USA) just officially died a month or two ago and will no longer be licensing anything. I don't know what the future of what their channel will be.
They still exist as a sub-licensor, but yeah, their channel might go kaput soon, assuming they don't keep the rights for broadcasts.
Old October 5 2012, 02:14 AM   #185
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

So it's going to be another lame duck like Kadokawa and Geneon? We don't really need any more of those.
Old November 27 2012, 01:36 AM   #186
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Woot! I just received my Yamato 2199 Blu-Ray Disc 3 (with English Subtitles) that I pre-ordered via CD Japan back in September, this afternoon.

Going to watch the next 4 episodes on it after I get off work tonight.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:59 AM   #187
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Ithekro wrote: View Post

So this thing already started? WTH?

Is this under the threat of cancelation.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 11:15 AM   #188
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Ithekro wrote: View Post

So this thing already started? WTH?

Is this under the threat of cancelation.
It started ages ago. It's being made in this strange manner where it is being shown theatrically then released to BD.

I'm still holding out hope that someone here will license it, but I have to imagine that if the BDs come with English subs, there probably won't be much chance of that happening.

Anyway, the Volume 3 episodes were fantastic. Given how far American TV has gone away from the science fiction format of the 70s and 80s, it's nice to just go back to these simple stories that aren't full of silly references to pop culture (sorry Stargate) or are so convoluted that it's clear that the writers have no idea what they are doing (sorry BSG and Lost and every other science fiction show airing at the moment).

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 03:47 PM   #189
bullethead
Fleet Captain

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I'm still holding out hope that someone here will license it, but I have to imagine that if the BDs come with English subs, there probably won't be much chance of that happening.
That doesn't mean anything. Shows like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere were released on BD with English subs and still got licensed. Licensing really depends on how much cash a US company has and if they're willing to put up with some of Japan's bullshit to get the rights to it.
Old December 3 2012, 02:00 AM   #190
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
That doesn't mean anything. Shows like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere were released on BD with English subs and still got licensed. Licensing really depends on how much cash a US company has and if they're willing to put up with some of Japan's bullshit to get the rights to it.
Did Horizon have English subs on the BD? Weird. lol

I remember that Haruhi was released on BD in Japan with English subs and a BD release never came here.

Aniplex has just started selling their JP sets here, but for mostly the same price as the Japanese MSRP.

At this point, it's up to Funimation or Sentai and I'm not sure if either is interested at the moment. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old December 3 2012, 02:19 AM   #191
bullethead
Fleet Captain

At this point, it's up to Funimation or Sentai and I'm not sure if either is interested at the moment. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Judging by Funi taking on the last Yamato anime movie, I think they might be interested, but they probably want to wait for the show to finish before committing to a license so they can avoid a Hellsing Ultimate situation.
Old December 3 2012, 04:58 AM   #192
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Did Horizon have English subs on the BD? Weird. lol

I remember that Haruhi was released on BD in Japan with English subs and a BD release never came here.

Aniplex has just started selling their JP sets here, but for mostly the same price as the Japanese MSRP.

Yeah, there's been a lot of English subtitling on Japanese BDs lately, most likely because the US and Japan are the same BD region. You can find out which ones here.

I own a few of them actually such as The Garden of Sinners and the two Fate/Zero boxes from Aniplex as well as a fantastic little sci-fi OVA called Time of Eve and have Library War: Wings of Revolution on pre-order. Importing from Japan will only make you poor though, not really worth it unless it's something you like a whole lot or you know the thing won't ever be picked up and licensed by anyone.

Last edited by zakkrusz; December 3 2012 at 05:11 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 08:39 AM   #193
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I totally forgot that there was a Library Wars movie. lol

And yeah, I really like Yamato, but not enough to spend over 700 dollars for it.
I can't believe you bought the two Fate/Zero boxes though... man. lol

Old December 3 2012, 08:51 PM   #194
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

I think the issue that Disney (or some film company) still owns a North American film option for Yamato (there's been draft scripts floating around for a decade); and that probably is a big 'wrench' as it were to licensing and dubbing Yamato 2199 in this region.

If it weren't for the fact I have a real soft spot for Space Battleship Yamato (it's what got me started in Anime fandom - yes, I seen the 1960ies stuff like Speed Racer, Gigantor, et. al as a very young child in the late 1960ies, but it wasn't until I got into Yamato that they were also originally produced in Japan); AND so far the production team on this version has done (IMO) a GREAT job adapting, modernizing and retelling the original Yamato story - including a very good job with the subtitles (IE the syubtitrle scrip[t seems written by someone who really does understand teh nuances of English); I wouldn't have continued to buy the series past the first disc.

So, while expensive, I do find it worth it (and I make a good enough living to afford it easily); and already ordered Disc 4 and hope they are able to produce and market all 26 episodes.

Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 09:09 PM   #195
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I was under the impression that Voyager Entertainment retained sole rights to the animated property in the USA and Disney had the rights to the live action film, much in the same way that Glen Larson had the rights to a Battlestar Galactica feature film but Universal retained the rights to a TV series. The two seem to be split, and Voyager does seem to have constant updates on their original site and their new dedicated Y2199 site Cosmo DNA regarding the show, yet no real info on if/when they'll import it. I could be wrong, though, there's a lot of information on those sites and I might have missed it. Either way, VE definitely seems to be a big domestic player in this particular game.