Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 3 2012, 05:38 AM   #31
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Ro Laren

I would have enjoyed her debunking/ribbing of Sisko once she got comfortable with him.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:40 AM   #32
Avon
Fleet Captain

i never liked ro that much in the tng guest officer role, and kira is awesome. if they had her turn up in place of eddington and do something else maquis related t couldve been cool.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 06:49 PM   #33
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Yea, if Ro had Guest starred on DS9 I would definitely welcome the appearance, but, I would never want to retroactively replace Kira with her

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 07:20 PM   #34
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I found her believable, she was just rather shrill. She never grabbed me the first run through but I've enjoyed her more in subsequent rewatches. Her relationship with Sisko was excellent.. and you're right, Ro and Sisko might have had some problems BUT you would also have an atheist Bajoran whose commanding officer is viewed as a deity by her planet's religion. So there might have been some big time conflict there, or at the very least a whole lot of Ro sarcasm.
Wasn't Ro only established as an atheist in the novels? Given the spiritual theme of DS9 if Ro was casted I bet that never would've happened.
Old December 3 2012, 07:58 PM   #35
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

Did she become an atheist in the novels? I ask because I recall the episode of TNG when Riker gave Ro grief for wearing her Bajoran earring while on duty. I thought the earring was supposed to signify the Bajoran's religious beliefs.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:50 PM   #36
R. Star
Rear Admiral

USS Kongo wrote: View Post
Did she become an atheist in the novels? I ask because I recall the episode of TNG when Riker gave Ro grief for wearing her Bajoran earring while on duty. I thought the earring was supposed to signify the Bajoran's religious beliefs.

Sean
If you notice Ro wears her earring on the opposite ear of every other Bajorian. Ro explains this in the novels is to "keep those annoying Vedeks from grabbing my ear." She wears it to honor her Bajoran heritage, but doesn't believe in the Prophets after the occupation.
Old December 3 2012, 11:13 PM   #37
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

Ah, ok. I get it now.

Never understood Riker's rationale for going after Ro for wearing her earring when he never said a word to Worf for wearing his Klingon sash.

Sean
Old December 3 2012, 11:41 PM   #38
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Never understood Riker's rationale for going after Ro for wearing her earring when he never said a word to Worf for wearing his Klingon sash.
It's because he is a dick.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 11:43 PM   #39
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I thought Riker was doing it on purpose just because Ro had been so insubordinate and gotten her away team killed. Worf was an upstanding officer and a friend, so nobody cared about the sash. Ro was mean to everyone and broke regs and got people killed. So a little extra was needed.
Old December 3 2012, 11:44 PM   #40
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I thought Riker was doing it on purpose just because Ro had been so insubordinate and gotten her away team killed. Worf was an upstanding officer and a friend, so nobody cared about the sash. Ro was mean to everyone and broke regs and got people killed. So a little extra was needed.
It's that great surly attitude that Ro had--it's great for us to watch, but not for Riker to deal with.

teacake wrote: View Post
It's because he is a dick.
Yep, that explains it handily.

Sean
Old December 3 2012, 11:46 PM   #41
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

My favorite line that Ro ever spoke, was when she and Geordi were thought to have been killed and somebody brings up the Bajoran death chant, which lasts over 2 hours. Ro just gets this awesome "Oh no...not the death chant!" line. It's just the way she says it.
Old December 4 2012, 03:45 AM   #42
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

I loved Ro.
I'm not sure what my favorite line of hers is...
But I did like how she looked as Lt Ro. Might have been nice for her to come around as LCDR Ro during the dominion war to show how desperate starfleet was
Old December 4 2012, 04:22 AM   #43
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Blaming Riker going after Ro's earring on her attitude makes no sense. He went into her for that before she even said anything beyond reporting for duty. He's a jerk to anyone outside of the command clique or that he's trying to seduce really.

I always found it hilarious that 5 minutes after he rips into her for that, she's asked to attend a meeting with Troi in her catsuit, and Worf in his huge sash. Yeah, be consistent with your enforcement of the rules, or stow it.
Old December 4 2012, 04:38 AM   #44
FKnight
Commander

Because he knew Worf would kick his ass.

I am so, so glad we got Major Kira (and I love Colonel Anastasia Komananov too!). I think it goes without saying that Kira having lived on Bajor during the occupation and being in the resistance was a major factor in this show. I don't think Ro really had any allegience to Bajor, let alone the prophets.

What I really would have liked, though, would have been for Ro to be a recurring character in the Maquis part of the story. Hell, I would have expected her and Tom Riker to hook up I thought Ro was a great character. We could have had some great interactions between her and Kira, as I'm sure they'd both have some things to say to each other, both having fought for their cause yet both having completely different feelings about their loyalty to Bajor and, the Prophets, the Maquis, etc.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 04:54 AM   #45
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
He's a jerk to anyone outside of the command clique...
I think Lower Decks reinforced this