Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 3 2012, 01:49 AM   #106
Christopher
Writer

Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Blue is hope, right? I don't see that as Spider-Man's defining emotional trait. If anything, he's a perennial pessimist, always bemoaning the rotten "Parker luck" and how lousy a deal he's gotten. But if there's one thing that consistently comes through in his adventures -- most of all in the iconic "The Final Chapter" in ASM #33 -- it's his indomitable will power. No matter how beaten down he is, no matter how much despair he feels and how overwhelmingly the odds are against him, he simply refuses to give up, and it's that dogged determination that carries him through. There's no question that if Peter Parker were recruited into a Lantern Corps, it would be the Green one.

I can see Steve Rogers getting a blue/hope ring, but it would also work for Reed Richards, I think, since his career is all about optimism about the future and the yearning to discover what lies ahead. Charles Xavier is also a symbol of hope.

Hey -- imagine J. Jonah Jameson as a Red Lantern. The guy has rage to spare.

This thread needs fan art.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 02:44 AM   #107
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Aw, now I want to see a black and green Spider-Man, lantern symbol behind his spidey chest emblem, swinging from green energy webs.
Old December 3 2012, 04:04 AM   #108
Christopher
Writer

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Aw, now I want to see a black and green Spider-Man, lantern symbol behind his spidey chest emblem, swinging from green energy webs.
The Internet has everything...

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-...antern/712260/

http://acreativeuniverse.com/Christo...green-lantern/

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...t=17977&page=2

And here's a thread of fan art for various comic figures as Lantern Corps members, including a Green Spider (my term, not theirs):

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/arti...bah-11/664831/

Old December 3 2012, 04:37 AM   #109
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Sure, Peter may come across as pessimistic, but I think there's a small degree of hope to him, seeing as how, no matter what, he puts on the costume. I think it's at least in part due to his hope that he can redeem himself for Ben's death.

But, you do make a good argument for him getting a green ring. And it frees up the Blue Ring to go to Steve Rogers, who, despite his every once in a while despair, for the most part puts on the costume in the hope of representing the ideals of this country.

Sue Richards might get the Sapphire Ring, but I'm not sure about Reed getting a blue ring. Xavier, yes, or else why would he bother continually trying to make peace with Homo Sapiens. Magneto might be suited for an Indigo ring, given his many times of being rehabilitated.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:08 AM   #110
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I think the two companies should do it. Lord knows it won't mess up the continuity anymore than it already has been. Mephisto can make a deal with Pandora (or whoever created Flashpoint). "Did I say three universes had to be united? I meant four, plus two multiverses--yeah, that's right."

Gotham and Metropolis already exist with the real world cities so it is not a stretch. There was room enough in Star Trek for a plethora of Empires so there shouldn't be a problem with the Shi'ar and the Khunds duking it out along their borders. The Nova Corps can have been an offshoot of the GL Corps due to some philosophical BS. And the Silver Surfer and the Phantom Stranger can have long interior monologue brooding sessions.

OMAC can face off against the Hulk, and the Blue Beetle can become friends with Spidey and the Torch. The Young Avengers can hang with the Teen Titans.

It all works out nicely, until Galactus decides that it is time to eat up Apokalips.

Last edited by theenglish; December 3 2012 at 05:30 AM.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:12 AM   #111
Christopher
Writer

Just imagine the confusion if Apocalypse tried to conquer Apokolips...

Old December 3 2012, 05:23 AM   #112
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Darkseid would have him in tossed in the fire pits.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 03:39 PM   #113
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Is Thanos' reaper-style girlfriend just an aspect of the perky goth Endless?
Other way around.
Old December 3 2012, 08:03 PM   #114
the G-man
Commodore

No. In Gaiman's version. she IS Death, not an aspect of it. I know at one point there was a Capt Atom story that said otherwise, but Gaiman said that was done without his input.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 08:39 PM   #115
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

What makes Gaiman's version of Death more important than say Starlin's?
Old December 3 2012, 08:48 PM   #116
Christopher
Writer

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
What makes Gaiman's version of Death more important than say Starlin's?
Um, the fact that she's a cute Goth girl rather than a distaff Skeletor?

Old December 3 2012, 09:34 PM   #117
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

^The fanboy's point is noted.

Not that it should be a cuteness or gothness should be a deciding factor in which version of Death takes suzerainty over the other, but Starlin's Death isn't... unattractive when she's making the point of appearing to have flesh.
Old December 3 2012, 11:50 PM   #118
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

The fact that dc's death is part of a larger group of similar beings.
Old December 3 2012, 11:56 PM   #119
Christopher
Writer

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
^The fanboy's point is noted.

Not that it should be a cuteness or gothness should be a deciding factor in which version of Death takes suzerainty over the other, but Starlin's Death isn't... unattractive when she's making the point of appearing to have flesh.
I suppose my point, aside from cute Goth girls being a nice thing, is that Gaiman's version strikes me as more imaginative and original an approach to the concept of an embodiment of Death, as one would naturally expect of Neil Gaiman. Although I'm speaking not as a "fanboy," but as a casual observer who has only a passing familiarity with either character. But of the two, it's Gaiman's version that seems to loom larger in the public consciousness, given that I know what she looks like and maybe a little about her personality, whereas I know practically nothing about Thanos's inamorata and had to look her up on the Marvel Wiki to find out what she looked like.

Old December 4 2012, 12:03 AM   #120
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
It all works out nicely, until Galactus decides that it is time to eat up Apokalips.
He tried that one time and found it was too dead to be worth eating or something and just left.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote