Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 27 2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Ro Laren

What do you mean by "poseurs"? That Ro could've spotted Eddington and Riker as Maquis before anyone else? How would she be able to do better than anyone else at spotting Maquis?

W. Thomas Riker deflected O'Brien by offering a cold shoulder, and he would've had to have done the same with Ro. As for Eddington, was there really any indication that he was Maquis before he defected? What would she be able to see that Sisko didn't?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 07:40 PM   #17
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

The TNG staff also had trouble getting Forbes back. She only appeared twice in the sixth ("Rascals", which she is barely in) and seventh seasons.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:26 AM   #18
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Pavonis wrote: View Post
What do you mean by "poseurs"? That Ro could've spotted Eddington and Riker as Maquis before anyone else? How would she be able to do better than anyone else at spotting Maquis?

W. Thomas Riker deflected O'Brien by offering a cold shoulder, and he would've had to have done the same with Ro. As for Eddington, was there really any indication that he was Maquis before he defected? What would she be able to see that Sisko didn't?
By poseur, I mean they were pretending to be rebels when "the cause" was just something they were adopting to work out their own issues, like Riker's frustration with living under William Riker's shadow. Imagine that Ro is on one of the bases Eddington flees to after outing himself as a Maquis. She meets him and immediately he rubs her the wrong way: he doesn't really have an iron in the fire, he's just fighting to play the part of rebel, because it's more interesting than being an office clerk on DS9. It'd interesting to see a plot where Ro and Eddington are both pitted against Sisko, but Sisko is able to use the animosity between the two to foil some idiotic plan of Eddington's. Think of the effect the Dominion cooperating with the Cardassians had on the Maquis: they were destroyed. There could have been an episode where Ro is trying to lead some of the Maquis to the safety of Starfleet and Eddington tries to fight her, because he can't stand the idea of going back to the federation without having proven himself as some macho man on the front.
Old November 28 2012, 06:59 PM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

So you think the Maquis would reject "poseurs" because they weren't true believers? I don't think the Maquis were that radical. They needed soldiers, and experienced Starfleeters were always welcomed, certainly more so than Lon Suder types, who were in it just for the violence. Why would Ro and Eddington not get along? They strike me as two peas in a pod, both itching to do something that Starfleet won't - defend colonists in the DMZ.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Minuet wrote: View Post
Ro Laren would have been wonderful in Kira's place, but the show would have of course evolved in a different direction than the canon story we know and love.

I would have liked to see a continuation of Ensign Sito's character like they had originally planned. She was such a wonderful character that was just beginning to redeem herself, only to die prematurely.
DS9 would have been a completely different show if Ro was the first officer and not Kira. That being the case, I wish that Ro had guest starred in at least one episode so that people knew what happened to her.

Also, I definitely think it is a shame that we never saw Sito Jaxa in a DS9 episode. In my book, she didn't die in that "shuttlecraft attack!"
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:57 AM   #21
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Ask me in 1993 I would have instantly said "Oh, definitely Ro". Ask me now I can't imagine the show with Ro instead of Kira. The entire show would have taken on a different character had one of the main characters not grown up as a terrorist. There are three characters who you couldn't have taken out of the show without completely changing its feel, and Kira is one of them.

It would have been great to see Ro in a recurring role though. She joined the Maquis from an emotional outburst, she could have had an interesting storyline having regrets about her decision, but still realizing she could never really accept the restrictions of being part of starfleet.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 10:01 PM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

All my Ro regret came back after watching her in Razor. She would have been fabulous.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 10:39 PM   #23
lurok
Commodore

I could just imagine Sisko doing a "I'm getting my men" with Michelle's "You are making such a mistake"
Old December 2 2012, 10:54 PM   #24
teacake
Admiral

"What is the imperative?"

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 3 2012, 12:40 AM   #25
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

Michelle rocked very hard as Admiral Cain on nuBSG. But as much as I loved her as Ro, I'm glad Forbes didn't do DS9, because I loved Major Kira (Nana Visitor) even more. It was Kira's presence who first made me stick with DS9.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 04:48 AM   #26
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

I would have enjoyed having Ro show up on DS9. But everyone is right, DS9 would have been very different if she was the XO instead of Kira
Old December 3 2012, 04:58 AM   #27
teacake
Admiral

See I was never enamored with Kira whereas Ro Laren was my favorite TNG character.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 3 2012, 05:13 AM   #28
DanCPA
Admiral

Really? I enjoyed Kira. I found her devotion to Sisko very believable. He is a religious figure. I am not sure how the relationship between Sisko and Ro would have worked. Two moody officers in command...
Old December 3 2012, 05:19 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

I found her believable, she was just rather shrill. She never grabbed me the first run through but I've enjoyed her more in subsequent rewatches. Her relationship with Sisko was excellent.. and you're right, Ro and Sisko might have had some problems BUT you would also have an atheist Bajoran whose commanding officer is viewed as a deity by her planet's religion. So there might have been some big time conflict there, or at the very least a whole lot of Ro sarcasm.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 3 2012, 05:28 AM   #30
DanCPA
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
...a whole lot of Ro sarcasm.
That I do believe