Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 2 2012, 07:30 PM   #1216
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Don't worry Jaro - They've managed to make the four footer look stunning. It will be worth it.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 10:04 PM   #1217
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

Amazon.com reports my copy as shipped (and at 79.99). It is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday, but it went via FedEx SmartPost instead of UPS, even though I am an AmazonPrime member.
Old December 2 2012, 10:28 PM   #1218
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Not yet shipped by Amazon. They charged me $64.99, with an estimated delivery on tues.
Old December 2 2012, 11:24 PM   #1219
mswood
Rear Admiral

Well mine has shipped, but since i have been watching through "cough" other means, I feel I can comment.

As probably the first person who stated their dread of Dan Curry being involved in this endeaver, I think my fears were spot on.

I am not in any way an expert in FX, I don't do them, I have no knowledge of them. But even back in the 80's I could tell you as soon as we got a new shot, if it was Legato or Curry overseeing the FX (thankfully in a few years additional staff will come on which helped dramatically, though you can still see Curry's look with the crew's he oversaw).

But like then, his work is though flat and bland, serviceable.

With the exception of a few shots that are rip you out of the episode, utterly awful, most work, they just don't flatter the show.

My biggest gripe is how that impacted Legato's work. Take the awful episode the Child (terrible episode), but one of the best looking episodes of TNG (thank You Rob Bowman and Legato). Well we still get Bowman's outstanding work, but the FX in the child is disappointing (though still some of the better work on this set), just because it now looks like Curry's work (AARRRGGGHHH!!!).

But fx are only a small (though visually important aspect of the show), and the live action, is beautiful to see.

Review of the set
Story: C (It's a very mixed bag for me, but there is significant improvement over season 1).
Look (live Action) : A
Look Visual FX: C-

Last season to compare this is how I would have ranked Season one
Story: D+
Look (Live Action): A-
Look Visual FX: B+ (ILM work easy A, individual episode work ranging from and A to a C).

While I don't like many of the episodes of these two early season, I have purchased almost every single release of Trek from COlombbia House, to paramount issued VHS tapes through Voyager, to the laser disc, to the DVD releases and the Blu-Ray. The only thing I haven't purchased is the best of sets (the two episodes DVD release of TOS, and the original HD release of TOS, as it was clear that Blu-Ray would be the dominant format).

And as truly disappointed to the style of half of the episodes, being changed, and the overall general look of the fx not matching the beautiful live action, I can''t not purchase this release.

1. The live action is just beautiful.

2. For the first time ever I think the VAM is actually at an acceptable level. Something that Trek generally how shall I say it, sucks at.

3. In my opinion of course, the written and performed material of later seasons and DS9 (not to mention I actually think the majority of Voyager and ENT is stronger then seasons 1 and 2 of TNG) are goals important enough for me to spend 70 dollars.

Just in the hope of a release.

Last edited by mswood; December 2 2012 at 11:36 PM.
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:03 AM   #1220
NewHorizon
Captain

Anyone willing or able to post the Season 3 trailer?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:23 AM   #1221
bullethead
Fleet Captain

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Anyone willing or able to post the Season 3 trailer?
I don't think that anyone can do it before street date (and for a while after) without risking CBS take downs.
Old December 3 2012, 01:43 AM   #1222
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

J. Lester wrote: View Post
Amazon.com reports my copy as shipped (and at 79.99). It is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday, but it went via FedEx SmartPost instead of UPS, even though I am an AmazonPrime member.
I thought as a prime member they would give us the lower price if there was a reduction?
Old December 3 2012, 02:33 AM   #1223
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

dg1379 wrote: View Post
I've been to several places around town and all told me the same thing, it's not being released until the 4th. How the hell are other shops putting it out there beforehand?
Those other people are jumping the street date and likely would get in trouble from CBS should they find out, maybe suffering a fine or the loss of the privilege to sell CBS DVDs.
Old December 3 2012, 03:14 AM   #1224
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I've been to several places around town and all told me the same thing, it's not being released until the 4th. How the hell are other shops putting it out there beforehand?
Those other people are jumping the street date and likely would get in trouble from CBS should they find out, maybe suffering a fine or the loss of the privilege to sell CBS DVDs.
That and someone supposedly ripped it all and put up a torrent.
Old December 3 2012, 03:22 AM   #1225
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

bullethead wrote: View Post
That's why they shouldn't hold the vendors to street dates. Some of those people who are downloading it would've bought it if it was available in stores not just on torrent sites.

People who are willing to buy it get forced to wait until the release date while unscrupulous types get to download it five-six days early.
Old December 3 2012, 03:59 AM   #1226
mswood
Rear Admiral

Usually its closer to two or three weeks.
Old December 3 2012, 04:29 AM   #1227
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post

That's why they shouldn't hold the vendors to street dates. Some of those people who are downloading it would've bought it if it was available in stores not just on torrent sites.

People who are willing to buy it get forced to wait until the release date while unscrupulous types get to download it five-six days early.
Yeah, those poor torrent users. I'm sure the wait for a few more days is what REALLY pushed them over the edge to illegally and immorally download something rather than legally purchase it.

You're kidding me, people who're going to torrent things are going to torrent it no matter what. It's not about having to wait OMG! for a specific date it's about wanting to get things for free.
Old December 3 2012, 04:43 AM   #1228
mswood
Rear Admiral

Some certainly but to describe that as teh default reason is rather, well uninformed.

I torrent, but I also purchase, in fact out of every friend I have I purchase mroe media then anyone.

As I stated above, I have purchased almost every single US release of the various treks, in formats of VHS, Laser Disc, DVD, Blu-Ray and itunes mpeg4.

Trust me artist get their income off of me.

And there are very few souls out there at least in the US, that have not at one time or another enjoyed pirated content.

Be it from tape recordings of LP's back in the day. Letting others ever listen to those (crime). How about every recording something on VHS back in teh day and taking and watching it in another address? At a friends, ect. Letting someone borrow something? All crimes.

Hell a mix tape given to you (back in the day) is a crime.

For myself I did it because its far faster then ripping a digital copy off the bluray (also not legal). Even as I will when they become released purchase a digital copy.

Look at TAR, it's in the last 2 years finally getting some digital and DVD releases, and its been on the air since 2001. And I have every legal copy I can of all of them (including digital copies in regular and HD).

I don't feel bad that some have been unavailable in any legal form to watch in over a decade.

Supernatural, why. Because my affiliate sucks. With sound and video going out frequently. Its also a standard cropped version stretched to 16:9. Yet I have every season on DVD and Blurya. I have each episode purchased from itunes in both regular and HD formats.

I don't feel bad about it.
Old December 3 2012, 09:40 AM   #1229
MikeS
Fleet Captain

"first world problems" beautifully sums up this thread.

With regards Torrents - I agree with the poster above. To label it a crime is to misunderstand what the majority of people use it for. I too find it easier to download than "rip" something I've already purchased. I have also "tried before I buy", if I like something I will purchase it, whereas if I did it the other way the stores would not offer me a refund or exchange. Perhaps the industry needs to start fitting in with what the consumer wants rather than the opposite. I applaud bands like Coldplay that have recently offered downloads on a "pay us what you think it's worth basis", people are genuinely honest but are scared of getting their fingers burnt by unscrupulous multi-nationals. Take this season 2 blu-ray release as an example - they have made mistakes, I don't think it is worth the £60 they're asking, I would however part with £50 for it.
Old December 3 2012, 10:21 AM   #1230
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Is this really the appropriate thread for a discussion about torrents?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote