Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 1 2012, 02:15 AM   #61
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Re: Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years

Just got my copy. There are definite advantages to having a Barnes and Noble member card...
Old December 1 2012, 06:25 PM   #62
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Here's an article on the book - featuring a very serious-sounding quote from me

http://ca.reuters.com/article/entert...8AT1C620121130
Old December 2 2012, 03:42 AM   #63
MarkMcHaley
Cadet

View MarkMcHaley's Twitter Profile

I'm pleased that (so far) the response to this book has been favorable. I've been a fan of ST since I was 5 years old, watching it on the tube with my parents (1974 or so). I almost always overly research the projects I'm working on and I did so more on this project than any other. Being told (that) I was going to be illustrating things that had never been seen before in the ST universe was (about) 80% thrilling and 20% nerve wracking. Going into a project like this, you know that it's going to be held under the microscope...as it should whenever something like this is created for passionate fans.

I was privy only to info pertaining to pages I was working on, so I can't wait to have my copy in hand, so I can absorb this beastly book as whole! I look forward to hearing more thoughts on this book after it's release.
MarkMcHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 09:40 PM   #64
Admiral

The artwork I've seen so far in the previews and video on youtube is fantastic!
Old December 2 2012, 11:49 PM   #65
Reanok
Commodore

The pictures of the artwork look amazing this look like a fantastic book.I definitely would like to get a copy of this book!I really like the Enterprise painting of Archer and the vulcans and Andorians that's shown on the youtube video.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:41 AM   #66
Danlav05
Commander

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! I watched Larry Nemeck's video preview and it looks to be something special.

Doctor Who has a similar book series called 'The Brilliant Book' with lots of 'in universe' things. AND we get an audio reprisal of George Takei as Admiral Sulu!

I wonder if they're considering a follow up? Is it cheeky of me to ask before seeing the first one?! There'll be so much to cover - Q, the Borg, tonnes more First Contacts, Reunification, DS9, Dominion War, Voyager in the Delta Quadrant, Shinzon etc....
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:08 AM   #67
MarkMcHaley
Cadet

The video preview was inspiring. It was very surreal (for me) to watch. At the end, George Takei's voice might as well of said, "Welcome aboard, Mark." because that's what I felt like. The wonderful weight of able to contribute, even a little bit, to Star Trek cannon is not lost upon me.

Last edited by MarkMcHaley; December 3 2012 at 04:37 PM.
MarkMcHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:15 AM   #68
MarkMcHaley
Cadet

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
I wonder if they're considering a follow up? Is it cheeky of me to ask before seeing the first one?! There'll be so much to cover - Q, the Borg, tonnes more First Contacts, Reunification, DS9, Dominion War, Voyager in the Delta Quadrant, Shinzon etc....
I'm sure all of that will depend upon how well this book does.
Old December 3 2012, 01:37 PM   #69
Deano2099
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
And that's two uses in the cover blurb of "intergalactic" mistakenly used to mean "interstellar." Why does everybody get that wrong? You wouldn't say going to the corner store was interstate commerce or flying to Paris was interplanetary travel, so why do we constantly see "intergalactic" used to describe stories set entirely within one galaxy or even one star system? That never stops bewildering me.
In all honesty, I blame the Beastie Boys.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:47 PM   #70
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I didn't buy the Star Trek Vault book a while back. But will be getting this, somehow... if only because there should be more illustrated reference books like it. Even with online resources, the book seems like a great idea to me - depicting speculative events before and between different incarnations of the show.

It would be nice if it somehow ties in with the Enterprise books, including Christopher's one in the works. But I'm assuming David Goodman (while a contributor like Mike Sussman) probably hasn't read them and its authors not had access to his thoughts. Although I know they certainly conferred with Manny Coto when undoing a certain character's demise in the finale. It doesn't matter too much and hopefully they'll be wiggle room enough to fit the two together. Both are going for the same end points, I'd imagine. The tougher bits to reconcile, would be if they've really gone to town on showing us what the uniforms and starships look like immediately after 2161. Since that's what "The Rise of the Federation" is describing.
Old December 3 2012, 02:04 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

Just from the previews I've seen, it's clear this book and the novel continuity are taking different approaches. (There's a page with Bryce Shumar commanding the Intrepid during the Romulan War, when the books establish that he's already in command of the Essex by that point.) And as I've said, I don't see the need to force them together. Star Trek tie-ins over the decades have routinely offered multiple interpretations of offscreen events, and that makes them a richer experience than if you had to settle for just one version of how a given event might have unfolded.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 02:55 PM   #72
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
And that's two uses in the cover blurb of "intergalactic" mistakenly used to mean "interstellar." Why does everybody get that wrong? You wouldn't say going to the corner store was interstate commerce or flying to Paris was interplanetary travel, so why do we constantly see "intergalactic" used to describe stories set entirely within one galaxy or even one star system? That never stops bewildering me.
Virtually everything he posts sounds like it could have come from Sheldon Cooper's lips.
Old December 5 2012, 04:05 AM   #73
Daddy Todd
Captain

This may be the first negative review of this book, but for $100 I expect more book than we get in this package. Star Trek Vault and Star Trek: The Complete Unauthorized History (which both have $40.00 price tags) offer a LOT more than we get here. The talking pedestal might add another $10 in value to this package, which means this thing is just about 100% overpriced. Very disappointed.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 04:12 AM   #74
JD
Admiral

I just looked it up on Amazon, and they've already marked it down to $59.99.
Old December 5 2012, 09:37 AM   #75
Admiral

^Wheras, the UK Amazon price has gone up, from £49 to £67

There will be a test on caviar with every purchase to ensure all who do are sufficiantly rich