RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,888
Posts: 5,329,935
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 464
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 2 2012, 08:07 PM   #526
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

DarKush wrote: View Post
^
From what little I've heard about that, the powerless Wonder Woman wasn't well received. I know that Cathy Lee Crosby played that kind of Wonder Woman in a TV pilot, but it was the more traditional Lynda Carter Wonder Woman show that got produced.

I don't see how that powerless Wonder Woman would be much different than Nikita. Also, with Arrow taking a lot of the 'realistic' villains out there, by the time Wonder Woman got a show, a lot of them already would be used, or misused, by Arrow.

There's a lot of superpowered villains just sitting around, not being used at all. And there are bigger storylines that a superpowered Wonder Woman can do as opposed to a powerless one.
I am just pointing out that there is already a comic book precedent for a Wonder Woman without super powers.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 11:38 PM   #527
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Manu Bennett (Spartacus' Crixus) has been cast as an unmasked Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke. Here's what CBR has to say:
According to EW, Wilson will be depicted again in flashbacks as he and Oliver Queen (star Stephen Amell) "form an uneasy alliance" on the North China Sea island whether the latter was shipwrecked for five years. Considering that when Deathstroke was last seen he was torturing Oliver, "uneasy" is probably an understatement.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 12:28 AM   #528
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

I thought that we decided that was a Checkmate Bishop because his mask was iridescent yellow and not orange?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:00 AM   #529
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

theenglish wrote: View Post
DarKush wrote: View Post
^
From what little I've heard about that, the powerless Wonder Woman wasn't well received. I know that Cathy Lee Crosby played that kind of Wonder Woman in a TV pilot, but it was the more traditional Lynda Carter Wonder Woman show that got produced.

I don't see how that powerless Wonder Woman would be much different than Nikita. Also, with Arrow taking a lot of the 'realistic' villains out there, by the time Wonder Woman got a show, a lot of them already would be used, or misused, by Arrow.

There's a lot of superpowered villains just sitting around, not being used at all. And there are bigger storylines that a superpowered Wonder Woman can do as opposed to a powerless one.
I am just pointing out that there is already a comic book precedent for a Wonder Woman without super powers.
That's cool. I knew a little about that part of the Wonder Woman's history as well as the TV pilot. There is precedent, but at the same time history also shows that that approach wasn't well liked. That's not to say that a new take on that idea can't be successful. I just hope that the show doesn't go that route. Making Wonder Woman ordinary makes her less interesting. CW's already got one driven vigilante in Arrow and one kick ass female assassin in Nikita. That realistic approach for Wonder Woman just doesn't seem that imaginative.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:03 AM   #530
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

DarKush wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
DarKush wrote: View Post
^
From what little I've heard about that, the powerless Wonder Woman wasn't well received. I know that Cathy Lee Crosby played that kind of Wonder Woman in a TV pilot, but it was the more traditional Lynda Carter Wonder Woman show that got produced.

I don't see how that powerless Wonder Woman would be much different than Nikita. Also, with Arrow taking a lot of the 'realistic' villains out there, by the time Wonder Woman got a show, a lot of them already would be used, or misused, by Arrow.

There's a lot of superpowered villains just sitting around, not being used at all. And there are bigger storylines that a superpowered Wonder Woman can do as opposed to a powerless one.
I am just pointing out that there is already a comic book precedent for a Wonder Woman without super powers.
That's cool. I knew a little about that part of the Wonder Woman's history as well as the TV pilot. There is precedent, but at the same time history also shows that that approach wasn't well liked. That's not to say that a new take on that idea can't be successful. I just hope that the show doesn't go that route. Making Wonder Woman ordinary makes her less interesting. CW's already got one driven vigilante in Arrow and one kick ass female assassin in Nikita. That realistic approach for Wonder Woman just doesn't seem that imaginative.
I agree with you. I kind of feel that this no powers rule will become as restrictive and as frustrating as the no flights/no tights rule from Smallville. I hope they reconsider.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 01:16 AM   #531
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

I agree. I just don't see WW being that interesting without superpowers.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:28 AM   #532
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Powers are one thing, it's about origins. In the failed pilot, they were hinting that she was perhaps some sort of roided up science experiment, maybe not, but definitely not human.

If you don't have ancient gods awarding her powers, all you got is Buffy.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:32 AM   #533
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Powers are one thing, it's about origins. In the failed pilot, they were hinting that she was perhaps some sort of roided up science experiment, maybe not, but definitely not human.

If you don't have ancient gods awarding her powers, all you got is Buffy.
But Buffy does get her powers from ancients gods, well demons.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:40 AM   #534
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Old Wizards.

I really felt let down that she didn't try drinking Vampire blood more after that outting with Dracula.

It totally supercharged her.

Hard to believe that we watched 7 years of Popeye without his spinach.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:55 AM   #535
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Old Wizards.

I really felt let down that she didn't try drinking Vampire blood more after that outting with Dracula.

It totally supercharged her.

Hard to believe that we watched 7 years of Popeye without his spinach.
Hey, I bet we get Guy Gardner, ex-cop on Arrow before too long.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 06:18 AM   #536
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

I prefer that guy as a PE teacher, but then I think of Jordan most fondly as a door to door (children's) toy salesman.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 06:48 AM   #537
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

JD wrote: View Post
I agree. I just don't see WW being that interesting without superpowers.
That was in reference to Arrow, not WW.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 08:48 PM   #538
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Oh, my mistake. I do wish they'd incorporate superpowers into Arrow though. I've been really enjoying it so far, but I think it would open up a lot of interesting possibilities if Ollie suddenly had to deal with superhuman heroes and villains popping up.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:12 PM   #539
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

They may save that for mid life of the show. If it lasts more than 3 seasons.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 10:26 PM   #540
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Green Arrow (CW)

There used to be a comic called Stormwatch and the principle was that soliderboys with the right training and the right (real world, real) weapons could take out any cape because they were a bunch of yahoos winging it.

It's nice when the good guy has to outthink a more powerful adversary.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
arrow, green arrow, the cw

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.