Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 28 2012, 02:28 PM   #241
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Filming is still slated to start in January so is our main cast now in place with this position filled?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:53 PM   #242
Christopher
Writer

^Of the main characters mentioned in the earlier press release, there's still one, Skye Morse, who hasn't yet been officially cast. And casting often doesn't get finalized until just a couple of weeks before the start of filming -- if not later.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 08:45 PM   #243
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Looking forward to that announcement, then...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 11:26 PM   #244
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Kaijima wrote: View Post
My own notion for the Coulson controversy would be: Coulson comes back with no explanation. Everyone is confused, but knows better than to inquire too far into Fury's machinations if it's above their pay grade.

Then eventually it's revealed that Coulson is really a Life Model Decoy,..
Currently the best option.. Coulson seems like a high profile Shield agent warranting his own LMD (alongside Fury, Hill and very few others).

They even have a throwaway line in Avengers about LMDs when Stark answers Coulson's call.

If they go with the LMD possibility they could use the scene where Coulson walks up to the door and has his eye scanned.. the movie switches away but the TV show can go on by showing the LMD waiting for action and the remote control mechanism.
Fury's sadness could also be explained by keeping up the charade to goad the Avengers into action.. he is a cold bastard like that and it would fit his character.

It's a bit lame i admit but then again better than some other resurrections i've seen in comics.

So.. if filming is to start in January does that mean Shield is on track for a fall 2013 premiere?
Old December 2 2012, 11:43 PM   #245
Christopher
Writer

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
So.. if filming is to start in January does that mean Shield is on track for a fall 2013 premiere?
It hasn't officially been picked up as a series yet. So far it's just a pilot.

Old December 3 2012, 02:11 AM   #246
UssGlenn
Captain

Fury's sadness could also be explained by keeping up the charade to goad the Avengers into action.. he is a cold bastard like that and it would fit his character.
how closely do LMDs match humans? Is it possible Fury didn't find out until later?
Old December 3 2012, 02:22 AM   #247
Christopher
Writer

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
how closely do LMDs match humans?
Well, they've been used in the comics before to retcon character deaths, including Fury's own. But apparently the standard models are more robotic on the inside and their true nature would be evident if they were damaged enough for their innards to be revealed.

Old December 3 2012, 07:30 AM   #248
Dream
Admiral

how closely do LMDs match humans? Is it possible Fury didn't find out until later?
Wasn't Stark in Avengers a LMD?
Old December 3 2012, 02:57 PM   #249
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

If they go the LMD route with Coulson I will so boycott the entire MCU. And by that I mean continue to watch and lavish money on it while grumbling endlessly.

I think the best solution is the most obvious. Coulson never actually died and Fury faked his death to inspire the Avengers to avenge someone. All the evidence is there in the film, and, even more importantly, it'll cause a great deal of conflict between Stark and Fury in The Avengers 2. Joss loves that type of shit.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 04:34 PM   #250
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

All of which works for me.

"I fully expect Stark to belt me the next time we chat. I have it coming. But the boss said it: they needed the push."

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old December 3 2012, 04:41 PM   #251
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
Sure, but to retcon it like that takes away from the emotional resonance of that announcement in the film. I hate how death is so mutable in comics ...

Well, at least it would be faithful to the source material.

Setting the series as a prequel wouldn't limit story possibilities at all - quite the opposite. It would free them up to do anything they could reasonably want with a super-secret international high tech police/spy/whatever organization, without people continually wondering why the fuck the superheroes never show up and get involved in the goings-on.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 06:20 PM   #252
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I doubt that anyone in Shield is pulling of something like that without Fury's approval. Heck.. he was not above using some private mementos of Coulson to pull at the Avengers and get them into action. For him the ends justify the means and he can't afford to lose so what if some feelings get hurt in the process.. all that counts is the safety of Earth.

Whatever the method used ti bring back Coulson i'm fine with it.. he was, next to the main heroes, the best thing about the Marvel movie universe and i'm just happy he'll be the lead for the show.

I'd also not care if Whedon would bring back Wash and Book by whatever means if by some miracle Firefly gets on air again including just pretending that the movie never happened (and i love the movie).
Old December 3 2012, 06:55 PM   #253
Christopher
Writer

DEWLine wrote: View Post
"I fully expect Stark to belt me the next time we chat. I have it coming. But the boss said it: they needed the push."
Actually it was Coulson who said it first, in his "dying" breath: they needed something to avenge. (Although he only got the "av..." out.)

Old December 3 2012, 10:10 PM   #254
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

True.

But I'm finding myself imagining moments in the months between movies where they'd previously had conversations on that very aspect of the Initiative, and the psychologies of the candidates...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old December 20 2012, 01:43 AM   #255
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

And the final character is cast...