Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 2 2012, 09:01 PM   #16
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Buffy Season Six

Kelthaz, how, exactly, is it unrealistic for an addiction to the power afforded by magic to evolve into a literal addiction to magic as a recreational drug?

Re: Willow, she's an extremely insecure character who increasingly latches on to external sources to compensate.

We first start to see this in Season 4, but it becomes crystal clear in Season 6. We also see an extreme reversal to the other end of the spectrum in S7, with Willow being so afraid of fallow.g back into old habits and losing herself that she becomes paralyzed and unable to function. It's actually one of the few things that S7 actually executed well, and it's a pity that her guest appearance in Angel S4's Orpheus derailed it slightly.

I'd also like to ask why a sense of realism is even relevant when we're talking about a supernatural action/adventure fantasy series. Joss never made any attempt to put a gloss of realism on the show as a whole in any way. There was always a certain level of relatability to the show, but that's different from realism. The only time the show went super-realistic was in The Body, and that was a one-time, deliberate decision.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 10:43 PM   #17
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Kelthaz, how, exactly, is it unrealistic for an addiction to the power afforded by magic to evolve into a literal addiction to magic as a recreational drug?
How is it unrealistic for an addiction to magic to be similar to an addiction to drugs? Well, you've got me there. What was I thinking.

Or, in the context of the show, magic is not drugs. It's power. Giles even clearly states that in the first episode of Season 7. They were trying so hard to shoehorn in a real life issue that they very awkwardly turned Willow's magic issues into a very special episode about drugs. Her going to that drug dealer to shoot up with magic completely killed any interest I had in that arc that started in season 2.

I'd also like to ask why a sense of realism is even relevant when we're talking about a supernatural action/adventure fantasy series. Joss never made any attempt to put a gloss of realism on the show as a whole in any way.
Because that was the entire point of the season. After fighting vampires, demons, and gods, Joss decided to make "life" the big bad for season six. I think it was a fantastic idea, but the execution was seriously lacking due to taking things too far. I do still enjoy the season in spite of what I said, but the whole thing comes across as an unintentional parody rather than a serious look at the difficulties facing young adults.

Besides, you did see Kestrel's post saying that a better trope to describe season six would be Reality Ensues, right?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 10:58 PM   #18
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
How is it unrealistic for an addiction to magic to be similar to an addiction to drugs? Well, you've got me there. What was I thinking.

Or, in the context of the show, magic is not drugs. It's power. Giles even clearly states that in the first episode of Season 7. They were trying so hard to shoehorn in a real life issue that they very awkwardly turned Willow's magic issues into a very special episode about drugs. Her going to that drug dealer to shoot up with magic completely killed any interest I had in that arc that started in season 2.
Actually, Giles in no way, shape, or form says that magic is not drugs. The only thing that Giles says is that, for Willow, it's no longer about dabbling in magic as a hobby or literally using magic to get high; the magic is literally inside her now (seeped into her very being) and it's about learning control.

Season 6 isn't the first time in the series that there were hints that magic could be used to produce drug-like euphoria; it first happened way back in Season 2 with The Dark Age, when Giles makes it pretty clear that he and his friends were using magic to 'get high'; it wasn't quite as literal a situation as presented in Season 6 given that what they were really doing was using the influence of the demon to get high rather than the magic itself, but the underlying principle was the same.

The detractors of Season 6 act like the whole 'magic = drugs' thing came completely out of nowhere and was a complete subversion of where things were headed vis a vis Willow's story arc, but it really isn't; it is certainly a new twist to the story, but it's not an unprecedented one.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 11:11 PM   #19
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I remember that episode from Season Two. I remember wondering if he had been friends with John Constantine at some point because it is a similar back story.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 11:28 PM   #20
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Season 6 doesn't so much jump the shark as leisurely climb over it.
Old December 3 2012, 02:54 PM   #21
Forbin
Admiral

For me, I just felt the characters weren't acting like themselves, and were doing things they wouldn't.

The magic addiction thing was too preachy for me. Like, Yeah, yeah, drugs are bad, we know, we know. Can we move on to a different subplot please?

Remember Xander's brilliant speech about love and loss to Buffy while Riley was on his way to the Black Helicopter in S4? And his subsequent beautiful declaration of his feelings to Anya? I can NOT believe that's the same guy who left his bride at the altar, and doing so ruined that previous beautiful moment for me.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote