RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,067
Posts: 5,432,121
Members: 24,926
Currently online: 544
Newest member: wod_freak

TrekToday headlines

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 2 2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

I don't think the show has become "bad" since season 9, it is just very inconsistent. Even within a specific episode you will have segments that are hilarious followed by ones that don't make you laugh at all. So, it's hard to recommend specific episodes or even remember where the good moments were, because they are sprinkled throughout.
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 07:00 PM   #17
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

I religiously DVR'd every episode until this current season. My system was to watch it a given episode for as long as it held my interest or made me laugh. As time went on, I found that I was shutting off most episodes about ten minutes in. This season, I cancelled the season pass and haven't looked back.

Really, the Simpsons has been, at best, an average sitcom (meaning not very good) since 'Season 11.' Yeah, there might have been a decent episode here or there but you could say the same thing about 90% of the shitcoms that have polluted the airwaves.

The only episodes over the past few years that have been slightly above average in my estimation are some of the Halloween specials, and that's only because they aren't constrained by maintain a status quo.

Ultimately, as good as the first nine seasons were, given the ratio of bad seasons to good at this point, I don't think you can actually call 'the Simpsons' a good show, only a long running one. Trying to define the entire run by the early years is akin to saying that 'Lost in Space' wasn't camp merely because the first few episodes were darker in tone than all the ones that came after.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 03:41 PM   #18
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

the G-man wrote: View Post
Ultimately, as good as the first nine seasons were, given the ratio of bad seasons to good at this point, I don't think you can actually call 'the Simpsons' a good show, only a long running one. Trying to define the entire run by the early years is akin to saying that 'Lost in Space' wasn't camp merely because the first few episodes were darker in tone than all the ones that came after.
The problem is that you're underselling just how good the first nine seasons were. The Simpsons wasn't just a good comedy back then, it was the definitive comedy series of the 1990s, and most people would list those first nine years on their own as one of the best television series of all time. There's a reason why the latter fifteen seasons were made, and it has everything to do with those first nine. Viewing the show as the average of all it parts means that you're missing that hugely important caveat.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 05:31 AM   #19
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Ultimately, as good as the first nine seasons were, given the ratio of bad seasons to good at this point, I don't think you can actually call 'the Simpsons' a good show, only a long running one. Trying to define the entire run by the early years is akin to saying that 'Lost in Space' wasn't camp merely because the first few episodes were darker in tone than all the ones that came after.
The problem is that you're underselling just how good the first nine seasons were. The Simpsons wasn't just a good comedy back then, it was the definitive comedy series of the 1990s, and most people would list those first nine years on their own as one of the best television series of all time. There's a reason why the latter fifteen seasons were made, and it has everything to do with those first nine. Viewing the show as the average of all it parts means that you're missing that hugely important caveat.
I agree, those first 8 or 9 seasons were greatness.

To answer the OP's question: I have not seen a funny episode in a long time. The last funny episode I remember was "Trilogy of Error" from season 12.
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 01:52 PM   #20
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Ultimately, as good as the first nine seasons were, given the ratio of bad seasons to good at this point, I don't think you can actually call 'the Simpsons' a good show, only a long running one. Trying to define the entire run by the early years is akin to saying that 'Lost in Space' wasn't camp merely because the first few episodes were darker in tone than all the ones that came after.
The problem is that you're underselling just how good the first nine seasons were. The Simpsons wasn't just a good comedy back then, it was the definitive comedy series of the 1990s, and most people would list those first nine years on their own as one of the best television series of all time. There's a reason why the latter fifteen seasons were made, and it has everything to do with those first nine. Viewing the show as the average of all it parts means that you're missing that hugely important caveat.
I understand your argument. At his point, however, those brilliant nine seasons are way less than one half of the shows run. It's like trying to argue 'Rocky 1' makes the entire film series Oscar-worthy.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 02:19 PM   #21
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

I largely agree, and it is disappointing to know that there are now more bad seasons of The Simpsons than good ones. A child born today has a greater chance of someday stumbling across a crappy episode and having a negative opinion of the whole show, and that's sad. But that doesn't mean it's not worth showing those children the first nine seasons.

There are caveats for both sides. Those that say the show is an average sitcom overall should still point out that the first nine seasons are amazing, and those that say it's one of the best shows ever made need to point out that the show went on way, way past its prime.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 04:11 PM   #22
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

In a way, I almost support the theory if one blog, that there were/are two separate shows: 'the Simpsons,' which ran for nine seasons, and 'Zombie Simpsons,' an inferior reboot that remains on the air.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.