RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,954
Posts: 5,480,039
Members: 25,057
Currently online: 647
Newest member: Ghost_of_Bubba

TrekToday headlines

USS Enterprise Press-Out And Build Manual
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

New QMx USS Reliant Model
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Star Trek Thirty-Five Years On 35MM: A Retrospective
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old November 29 2012, 05:16 AM   #1
Lyon_Wonder
Commander
 
Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was ... (spoiler)?

At the end of “Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down” in s1 Head 6 comments to Baltar that everyone who undergoes his Cylon detector test passes as human regardless if the person is a human or Cylon. When Head 6 asks Baltar how the Cylon detector results on Ellen Tigh really turned out, Gaius says to Head 6 that “I will never tell”. This comment suggests that maybe Baltar secretly took the time to check Ellen’s true origin through his test samples, even though Baltar rigged his cylon detector to show the official results as human. And later in S3 after knowing the identities of the 6 active human-cylon models that have multiple copies and finding out about the missing final-five, Baltar might have come to the conclusion that Ellen Tigh was one of the final five Cylons. Of course everyone, except for Cavil and Boomer, assumed Ellen died on New Caprica, and there was still wiggle room for Baltar to speculate that he was also one of the final five Cylons.
Lyon_Wonder is offline  
Old November 29 2012, 12:08 PM   #2
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Its a plot hole, a big one, seeming not much later Baltar was freaking out trying to find out who else was a Cylon from Boomer by threatening to kill Tyrol when both Col Tigh and Tyrol should have been in one of the first batches to be tested.

its possible the Final 5 are just different enough so the Cylon Detector wouldnt work it out.
starburst is offline  
Old November 29 2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Saul
Rear Admiral
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Location: 東京
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

I remember having this discussion way back during season 1 and our conclusions were that all the results were green and that not even Baltar himself knew the results.
__________________
"It's not that you can see the strings, it's that 40 years later you're still looking at them." - Steven Moffat
"This movie was big. Imagine how big it could have been with me in it?" William Shatner
Saul is offline  
Old November 29 2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
beep
 
Location: boop
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Even if he was getting valid results for everyone, there's no guarantee the Final Five would show up on his detector, being an entirely different generation of skinjobs.
__________________
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old November 29 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

There's no real reason to suppose that the final five were physically special; it was their technology and seemingly their genetic pool that created the significant seven models. Also, Baltar's cylon detector (mark two) works by simply identifying synthetic samples from natural ones, or so he tells Adama. Barring a substantial plot hole, a false negative result or a completely out-of-character decision to sabotage the test and let potentially crucial information pass by him, Baltar knew perfectly well that Ellen was a cylon.

It's probably just a plot hole, though.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline  
Old November 29 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Robert Maxwell
beep
 
Location: boop
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Wereghost wrote: View Post
There's no real reason to suppose that the final five were physically special; it was their technology and seemingly their genetic pool that created the significant seven models. Also, Baltar's cylon detector (mark two) works by simply identifying synthetic samples from natural ones, or so he tells Adama. Barring a substantial plot hole, a false negative result or a completely out-of-character decision to sabotage the test and let potentially crucial information pass by him, Baltar knew perfectly well that Ellen was a cylon.

It's probably just a plot hole, though.
Conveniently, the one moment when this information would've been most useful--Three's hostage situation in "Revelations"--had Baltar as one of the hostages, so he couldn't tell Adama who the Cylons in his fleet were.

At a minimum, Baltar should've known that Ellen and Saul were Cylons, maybe Tyrol, but not Tory or Anders. It depends on who all was tested, and presumably Adama's entire command staff were.
__________________
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old November 29 2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

^ I agree. Tory and Sam would have been way down the pecking order even if the tests had continued. Tyrol's certainly a possibility, given that Baltar would've acted pretty much the same towards him either way.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline  
Old November 29 2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Robert Maxwell
beep
 
Location: boop
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Wereghost wrote: View Post
^ I agree. Tory and Sam would have been way down the pecking order even if the tests had continued. Tyrol's certainly a possibility, given that Baltar would've acted pretty much the same towards him either way.
They quit testing after Boomer shot Adama. Tory was a nobody at that point (maybe a low-level functionary in Roslin's administration, or just a civilian) and Anders wasn't in the fleet yet. So, I figured they were never tested at all.
__________________
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old December 2 2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Queen Mab
Lieutenant
 
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Should/Could we not change the title so as to no grossly spoil the who for anyone just about to embark on watching it.

I'm sure they might come in the sub-forum to ask a question or something with no intention of looking for spoilers to find 'Ellen Tigh was a cylon' right in a thread title.

I know there might be a rule saying enough time has passed.. but perhaps just out of courtesy?
Queen Mab is offline  
Old December 3 2012, 07:48 PM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

I just always assumed that Baltar didn't want to burden himself with actually knowing who the Cylons were, so after Boomer's test, he rigged it so that everyone would pass.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old December 4 2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Queen Mab wrote: View Post
I know there might be a rule saying enough time has passed.. but perhaps just out of courtesy?
If they are coming here, they have to expect to run into spoilers either directly or indirectly. The series has been over for years now, and people don't have to wait weeks or even months to continue watching the show.

People shouldn't have to keep stifling themselves just in the very unlikely and off-chance that someone might see something that's considered a spoiler, especially when that will only occur when they're knowingly and willingly going into a spoiler-laden environment.
Mister Fandango is offline  
Old December 4 2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Queen Mab wrote: View Post
I know there might be a rule saying enough time has passed.. but perhaps just out of courtesy?
If they are coming here, they have to expect to run into spoilers either directly or indirectly. The series has been over for years now, and people don't have to wait weeks or even months to continue watching the show.

People shouldn't have to keep stifling themselves just in the very unlikely and off-chance that someone might see something that's considered a spoiler, especially when that will only occur when they're knowingly and willingly going into a spoiler-laden environment.
How is someone supposed to do a "First Time Watch" thread, without going into the Forum for BSG? First Time Watch Threads are as beneficial for those of us who've seen the show as they are for somone sharing their experience.

1. The Forum is pretty dead aside from The B&C Thread(s)
2. Folks who've seen the show enjoy seeing new perspectives

Is it really too much to ask that huge Spoilers like this not be blasted out in the thread titles, and contain a Spoiler warning in the title? Why the attitude as if your Free Speech Rigts have been violated when someone asks for a little courtesy?
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline  
Old December 5 2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was ... (spoiler)?

Okay, this change was a simple enough one, but keep in mind the show has indeed been off for quite awhile. It's a bit unrealistic to expect things to be spoiler free when you go into a BSG based forum, after all. link to spoiler guidelines.

Be that as it may, it's also not difficult to keep such major plot points out of thread titles, just in case. It's all part of maintaining a fruitful ground for good discussion.
__________________
"The greatest tales are always over far too soon for those who truly appreciate them."
- Jef Murray
Neroon is offline  
Old December 6 2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Queen Mab wrote: View Post
I know there might be a rule saying enough time has passed.. but perhaps just out of courtesy?
If they are coming here, they have to expect to run into spoilers either directly or indirectly. The series has been over for years now, and people don't have to wait weeks or even months to continue watching the show.

People shouldn't have to keep stifling themselves just in the very unlikely and off-chance that someone might see something that's considered a spoiler, especially when that will only occur when they're knowingly and willingly going into a spoiler-laden environment.
How is someone supposed to do a "First Time Watch" thread, without going into the Forum for BSG? First Time Watch Threads are as beneficial for those of us who've seen the show as they are for somone sharing their experience.

1. The Forum is pretty dead aside from The B&C Thread(s)
2. Folks who've seen the show enjoy seeing new perspectives

Is it really too much to ask that huge Spoilers like this not be blasted out in the thread titles, and contain a Spoiler warning in the title? Why the attitude as if your Free Speech Rigts have been violated when someone asks for a little courtesy?
When does it stop?

Are you not allowed to make a thread entitled "Was Darth Vader really Luke's son?" After all someone, somewhere has never seen Empire Strikes Back. How about when people are discussing a war movie and starts a thread "What if Hitler had won WWII?" That's a spoiler for anyone who didn't pay attention in history class. Is that worth screaming and whining about a lack of courtesy, too? In fact, any thing you can think of, I guarantee there's someone, somewhere who's painfully ignorant about it. So by virtue of that, maybe we shouldn't have titles at all.

Whaa, 'All Along the Watchtower?!?' OMG, stop spoiling the song BSG used, I haven't seen it yet!!! And what what WHAT?! There was a Law & Order reference in a Futurama episode?! But I haven't see it yet, why you gotta spoil it for me?!?!?!

That said, I'd simply like to know when that expiration date is so as to avoid having to see you people crying about it even when it has absolutely zero bearing on you whatsoever. (Nevermind that there is already a well-defined, clearly labeled, repeatedly stated rule in place for determining it already on this forum.)
Mister Fandango is offline  
Old December 6 2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Robert Maxwell
beep
 
Location: boop
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Did Baltar know Ellen Tigh was a cylon?

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
If they are coming here, they have to expect to run into spoilers either directly or indirectly. The series has been over for years now, and people don't have to wait weeks or even months to continue watching the show.

People shouldn't have to keep stifling themselves just in the very unlikely and off-chance that someone might see something that's considered a spoiler, especially when that will only occur when they're knowingly and willingly going into a spoiler-laden environment.
How is someone supposed to do a "First Time Watch" thread, without going into the Forum for BSG? First Time Watch Threads are as beneficial for those of us who've seen the show as they are for somone sharing their experience.

1. The Forum is pretty dead aside from The B&C Thread(s)
2. Folks who've seen the show enjoy seeing new perspectives

Is it really too much to ask that huge Spoilers like this not be blasted out in the thread titles, and contain a Spoiler warning in the title? Why the attitude as if your Free Speech Rigts have been violated when someone asks for a little courtesy?
When does it stop?

Are you not allowed to make a thread entitled "Was Darth Vader really Luke's son?" After all someone, somewhere has never seen Empire Strikes Back. How about when people are discussing a war movie and starts a thread "What if Hitler had won WWII?" That's a spoiler for anyone who didn't pay attention in history class. Is that worth screaming and whining about a lack of courtesy, too? In fact, any thing you can think of, I guarantee there's someone, somewhere who's painfully ignorant about it. So by virtue of that, maybe we shouldn't have titles at all.

Whaa, 'All Along the Watchtower?!?' OMG, stop spoiling the song BSG used, I haven't seen it yet!!! And what what WHAT?! There was a Law & Order reference in a Futurama episode?! But I haven't see it yet, why you gotta spoil it for me?!?!?!

That said, I'd simply like to know when that expiration date is so as to avoid having to see you people crying about it even when it has absolutely zero bearing on you whatsoever. (Nevermind that there is already a well-defined, clearly labeled, repeatedly stated rule in place for determining it already on this forum.)
Look, it's not that hard to be considerate and just keep major plot spoilers (such as the identities of the Final Five Cylons) out of thread titles. "All Along the Watchtower" is not a spoiler, because without context someone who hasn't seen the show would have no idea how the song is significant to it.

When in doubt, just avoid spoiling things in the title. It's not difficult, it's just courtesy.

The Darth Vader thing is a poor comparison because his identity as Luke's father has been part of popular culture for a few decades now. BSG spoilers, not so much.
__________________
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.