Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old November 21 2012, 11:20 PM   #121
tighr
Commodore

Re: College Football 2012

Caligula wrote: View Post
Alabama and Notre Dame combine for 17 titles, and that's not counting the ones that weren't recognized by the AP or Coaches' polls!
U mad, bro?

In all seriousness, a BCS game featuring Alabama and Notre Dame would likely have the highest television ratings in the history of the contest. Not just because of the millions of Alabama and Notre Dame fans, but the millions upon millions of people who hate the success both programs have had over the past 100 years.

People who don't follow college football at all probably didn't even know Oregon and Kansas had colleges with football teams!
Old November 22 2012, 10:25 PM   #122
Caligula
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Alabama and Notre Dame combine for 17 titles, and that's not counting the ones that weren't recognized by the AP or Coaches' polls!
U mad, bro?

In all seriousness, a BCS game featuring Alabama and Notre Dame would likely have the highest television ratings in the history of the contest. Not just because of the millions of Alabama and Notre Dame fans, but the millions upon millions of people who hate the success both programs have had over the past 100 years.

People who don't follow college football at all probably didn't even know Oregon and Kansas had colleges with football teams!
I'm certainly not mad about Alabama's involvement. I like having the SEC on top of the college football world (unless it's Florida). Obviously, I'd prefer it were the boys in Orange & White, but that ship has sailed and it's not 1998 anymore. As for Notre Dame, yeah, I've got a big problem with them being in the national title picture. Not a fan of the boys from South Bend.

While I completely understand that having these two recognizable programs going at it would "put butts in the seats," I also love variety, seeing underdog teams who've never had a chance in the spotlight rise up to have their day. The "Rocky" scenario. It's a rare thing, but it does happen, even in the NFL.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 09:30 PM   #123
Neroon
Mod of balance

OSU - 26
Mich - 21

Man am I glad that one's over!
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 05:07 PM   #124
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Looking forward to a Georgia/ND championship. But either Bama or UGA is going to roll all over Notre Dame. They haven't played an SEC team since 2006, where they were obliterated by LSU in a bowl game.

I find it hilarious that after 25 years of media hype that Notre Dame is finally relevant and NBC doesn't even get the game that everybody was watching yesterday.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 05:58 PM   #125
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
OSU - 26
Mich - 21

Perhaps, when Notre Dame gets their butts kicked by Alabama/Georgia, the AP will see fit to grant Ohio State the #1 ranking. They would be the only unbeaten team left in that scenario. That's gotta count for something.

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I find it hilarious that after 25 years of media hype that Notre Dame is finally relevant and NBC doesn't even get the game that everybody was watching yesterday.
It is kinda funny but, as I understand it, the reason behind this is that NBC only gets Notre Dame's home games.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 10:50 PM   #126
tighr
Commodore

Didn't bother me what network it was on. I was sitting in the stands.

Although, I do gotta hand it to the USC fans... the vast majority of fans at the tailgate were extremely cordial. Very few assholes. Being 7-4 will probably do that to ya.
Old November 26 2012, 04:16 PM   #127
Neroon
Mod of balance

OSU - 26
Mich - 21

Perhaps, when Notre Dame gets their butts kicked by Alabama/Georgia, the AP will see fit to grant Ohio State the #1 ranking. They would be the only unbeaten team left in that scenario. That's gotta count for something.
I have my doubts that they belong in the top 5, though I do consider them top 10 at least. Stewart Mandel sums up my feelings nicely, in his column today

An undefeated season anymore is quite an accomplishment, even with a weak conference like the B1G. Still, I'm not one to place THAT much significance on it, at least not over a team that is clearly superior with 1 loss - like Bama, Georgia, or Florida. Throw Oregon and possibly Kansas St as well, as being better teams than an undefeated Ohio St.
Old December 1 2012, 01:52 AM   #128
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to sunburn800

I believe that GA is more than capable of beating Bama just as ND is more than capable of beating the winner of the SEC champ. and i have a dog in this hunt I'm a Alabama fan. but i try to be honest about my team. Beside i know alot of dawg fans and they have nothing but class so if we lose to you good luck beating ND.
sunburn800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 09:41 PM   #129
Neroon
Mod of balance

Anyone watching Baylor vs Okla St? Lache Seastrunk for Baylor just hit a 76 yd TD run... the last 40 of which came after he pulled a hamstring or an extremely bad leg cramp. You could just see him lurch when it hit him and then he runs through it and stumbles the last few yards into the end zone. Manly play that was!
Old December 2 2012, 12:27 AM   #130
tighr
Commodore

Anyone watching Baylor vs Okla St? Lache Seastrunk for Baylor just hit a 76 yd TD run... the last 40 of which came after he pulled a hamstring or an extremely bad leg cramp. You could just see him lurch when it hit him and then he runs through it and stumbles the last few yards into the end zone. Manly play that was!
Ouch...... I just pulled my hamstring a few weeks ago playing flag football with some buddies, and those injuries hurt like absolute hell. He's gonna feel (and see) that in a week. Amazing that he was able to complete the run, he must have been on some serious adrenaline.
Old December 2 2012, 12:40 AM   #131
Neroon
Mod of balance

Okay the latest word is that it was a severe leg cramp. Still, that he gutted it out like that and kept running... that TD was the difference in the game.

Anyone watching Bama vs Georgia? GREAT game for the fan who just wants to sit back and enjoy football!
Old December 2 2012, 12:47 AM   #132
tighr
Commodore

Anyone watching Bama vs Georgia? GREAT game for the fan who just wants to sit back and enjoy football!
Yeah. Nailbiter if you're a fan of either team... like me.
Old December 2 2012, 12:48 AM   #133
Neroon
Mod of balance

I am decidedly NOT a fan of the SEC, but man... I am LOVING this game! Back-n-forth, Rocky vs Apollo!
Old December 2 2012, 02:15 AM   #134
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Great game. Heartbreaking way to end it for Georgia, though.
Old December 2 2012, 02:34 AM   #135
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to sunburn800

Great game GA you had us against the ropes and out played us most of the game, and as always your coach showed a lot of class. I hope you win it all next year.
sunburn800 is offline   Reply With Quote