TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old December 1 2012, 10:54 PM   #256
Tom Servo
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Oh yes, a weird-looking bloke best known for playing a fashionable bastardisation of a classic character. Let joy be unconfined.
You mean a character no one outside of Trekkies that have watched every episode of TOS knows? Let's face it - most of the guest characters we care about mean nothing to outsiders. That doesn't mean that their Abramsverse versions will be terrible by default.
No, I meant Sherlock Holmes. And the Abramsverse is already terrible by default. Into Darkpiss will have to be pretty spectacular to make up for the abomination for the previous one, and I don't trust the two chancers who wrote the Transformers films or JJ "Lost (up his own arse)" Abrams to accomplish that.
Maybe you could just, you know, ignore it, since you seem to hate it so much.

I personally can't wait. I'm all for Khan if thats how they want to go with it, or Gary Mitchell.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old December 1 2012, 11:09 PM   #257
Ghost Bones
Captain

I refer you to the quote in my signature. I'm a Star Trek fan, and so I pay attention when they fuck about with it.
Old December 1 2012, 11:14 PM   #258
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I refer you to the quote in my signature. I'm a Star Trek fan, and so I pay attention when they fuck about with it.
You mean this one?
"If you don't like it, why are you watching it then?"
-Joey Deacon
Look man, AbramsTrek obviously isn't your thing. No one holds that against you, but constantly shoving it in people's face is quite irritating.
Old December 1 2012, 11:19 PM   #259
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Oh yes, a weird-looking bloke best known for playing a fashionable bastardisation of a classic character. Let joy be unconfined.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle about Sherlock Holmes:
Reportedly said to a playwright who asked if he could give Holmes a wife, "You may marry him, or murder him, or do anything you like to him."
(http://fanlore.org/wiki/Professional...anfic_Policies)

When those who made the originals don't mind their work being reinterpreted and remade, I don't see why we should let it bother us, either.
Old December 1 2012, 11:30 PM   #260
Ghost Bones
Captain

You mean this one?
"If you don't like it, why are you watching it then?"
-Joey Deacon
Look man, AbramsTrek obviously isn't your thing. No one holds that against you, but constantly shoving it in people's face is quite irritating.
Constantly? I've posted in this sub-forum probably an average of about once every 2 months. If you think voicing an opinion should be confined to people who both like something and agree with you then your sense of right and wrong is skewed.
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle about Sherlock Holmes:
Reportedly said to a playwright who asked if he could give Holmes a wife, "You may marry him, or murder him, or do anything you like to him."
(http://fanlore.org/wiki/Professional...anfic_Policies)

When those who made the originals don't mind their work being reinterpreted and remade, I don't see why we should let it bother us, either.
It bothers me when it's pointless, shit and an obvious cash-in on an established name.
Old December 1 2012, 11:40 PM   #261
Pondslider
Lieutenant

BBC's Sherlock is the best interpretation of the character of the character in a long time. I like that they did something different with the character rather than making him some stuffy guy in a deerstalker smoking a pipe and saying, "Elementary, my dear Watson." It's not perfect but it gets as close to the Conan Doyle's character as any other interpretation has ever gotten.
Old December 1 2012, 11:54 PM   #262
bullethead
Fleet Captain

You mean this one?

Constantly? I've posted in this sub-forum probably an average of about once every 2 months. If you think voicing an opinion should be confined to people who both like something and agree with you then your sense of right and wrong is skewed.
I was talking about this thread.
Old December 1 2012, 11:56 PM   #263
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Pondslider wrote: View Post
BBC's Sherlock is the best interpretation of the character of the character in a long time. I like that they did something different with the character rather than making him some stuffy guy in a deerstalker smoking a pipe and saying, "Elementary, my dear Watson." It's not perfect but it gets as close to the Conan Doyle's character as any other interpretation has ever gotten.
In that same vein I like Robert Downey Jr.'s Holmes. He's very sexy, very James Bondish. Though I didn't like the second one as much as the first.
"Tonight's a special night."
Old December 1 2012, 11:56 PM   #264
Ghost Bones
Captain

You must be joking. Cumberbatch closer to the Holmes of the books than Jeremy Brett?
You mean this one?

I was talking about this thread.
This thread where I've been posting regularly for about the last page or so out of 18?
Old December 2 2012, 12:00 AM   #265
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Cumberbatch will be the GREATEST Garth of Izar ever seen!! Every book, film, play and television show will bow before Cumberbatch as the man who redefined Garth of Izar. Garth of Izar portrayals before the dawn of the Cumberbatch era will be referred to as B.C., before Cumberbatch. All other franchises will hope that any remakes and reboots they do manage this level of perfection in casting.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 2 2012, 12:00 AM   #266
Pondslider
Lieutenant

I said in a long time. Brett stopped playing the character 18 years ago.
Old December 2 2012, 12:06 AM   #267
Melakon
Vice Admiral

There are about 7 billion people on this planet, which suggests there are 7 billion possible interpretations of what Star Trek is.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Old December 2 2012, 12:16 AM   #268
Ghost Bones
Captain

I said in a long time. Brett stopped playing the character 18 years ago.
Well how many have there been since that people would have seen? In popular TV and film? If you're going to reduce the pool by that much then Cumberbatch will win by virtue of there being so little competition.
Old December 2 2012, 12:28 AM   #269
Pondslider
Lieutenant

There have been several different interpretations of the character since Brett's last one. Cumberbatch has 6 Sherlock Holmes stories to Brett's 41. What do you have against the Moffat version? Is it just the modern setting? Does he not do enough cocaine?
Old December 2 2012, 12:40 AM   #270
Ghost Bones
Captain

It's a bit smug and up itself. It's ok, I don't hate it. It's not a Star Trek 2009 (or new Who) level crime against culture. But I'd get a lot more joy out watching some Jeremy Brett ones.