New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 30 2012, 05:39 AM   #76
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: TOS's largest one time prop.

scotpens wrote: View Post
I mean, how did they squeeze two deck levels into the Jupiter 2?
Eventually they even had a third deck that contained the reactor.
Old November 30 2012, 05:50 AM   #77
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

The original point was it's not-a-prop. In my experience, what they built would be considered a set (Paradise City in ST:V was a set) or a set piece. I said there are gray areas.

Anyway, what do I know? It's not like I'm a card-carrying member of the Producer's Guild of America or anything.

Oh, wait...
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 02:49 PM   #78
Forbin
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
...In the TMP Enterprise, the rec deck is too tall to fit inside the rim of the saucer (due to that undercut thing on the miniature)
Not to mention the turbolift shafts where we see a lift coming down from the ceiling of a room that's on the topmost deck of the saucer rim!

Also, the aft compartment of the Delta Flyer from Voyager can't fit inside the ship, and there's no actual exit door on the exterior model.
Plus it has an escape pod somewhere, PLUS it has a 7-foot medical pod that retracts lengthwise into the outer wall!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 02:54 PM   #79
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

This is a bit like the Brady Bunch house phenomenon, isn't it?
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 03:52 PM   #80
Timo
Admiral

In the TMP Enterprise, the rec deck is too tall to fit inside the rim of the saucer (due to that undercut thing on the miniature)
Only if you assume it's on the rim. It would fit perfectly right next to the core of the saucer, with those twin turboshafts descending from the bridge. It would even fit dialogue from "Let That Be Your Last Attempt At Making a Title Longer Than For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky", where a rec room spans decks 3-5 right below the bridge.

and the corridor in front of engineering (or rather, the forced-perspective mural that represents the corridor stretching into the distance) goes too far forward to fit inside the ship.
Only if you assume that Main Engineering is located near the forward end of the engineering hull. Assuming that it's closer to the rear end would make things just dandy again. Say, forget about the aft of the ME set being forced perspective and accept it as being just as short as it really is.

Also, the aft compartment of the Delta Flyer from Voyager can't fit inside the ship, and there's no actual exit door on the exterior model.
No problem with a 21m long DF. And the exterior model does have a ramp shape right where the aft door would lead.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...-floorplan.gif

Meanwhile, the Delta Flyer itself is too big to fit through Voyager's hangar doors
Well, sort of. It's a matter of inches width-wise, and we can always squint that much. Perhaps Paris squinted the first few times, too, and thereafter there were no further problems?

and the hangar is somehow large enough to hold the Flyer, Neelix's ship, and an uncertain number of shuttles as well as the occasional visiting ship.
Not a problem as such - the problem comes from fitting the specific size and shape of hangar internal divisions seen in the various episodes.

And then there's Nemesis, where the lowermost deck of the ship apparently has a bottomless shaft extending down from it.
Lowermost deck? Why would the Viceroy be on the lowermost deck of the ship? He was going to kidnap Picard, who was on the bridge - the Viceroy would be far more likely to be near the topmost deck! Or more likely at the top of the secondary hull and the bottom of the primary one, where Riker and Worf would meet him at halfway point. Plenty of room for a long shaft - and indeed a good justification for having such a shaft, as the vertical warp core is near the primary/secondary hull junction and no doubt has associated service shafts.

Really, Star Trek interiors hold together pretty well, simply by virtue of mostly representing very large fictional structures. Plenty of room to squeeze extra cubic meters of interior in. In comparison, the Millennium Falcon is small enough to suffer from photographic limitations similar to those making it implausible to shoot TOS shuttle scenes inside a sawed-in-half mock-up...

Not that there wouldn't be weirdness that just can't be explained away. All the bridges suffer from misplaced windows, for example - Picard's ready room on the E-E is an especially impossible addition to the interior. Unless we assume that Starfleet actually places its bridges one deck down from the big bubble at the bottom, as a rule...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:07 PM   #81
Christopher
Writer

Maurice wrote: View Post
The original point was it's not-a-prop. In my experience, what they built would be considered a set (Paradise City in ST:V was a set) or a set piece. I said there are gray areas.
Paradise City was a set because it was a whole environment in which the action took place. That is the definition of the word "set." It's the entire "stage," not just a piece of the stage. The obelisk was not an environment, it was one object within an environment. The "set" was the entire lakeside. The obelisk was a set piece.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:10 PM   #82
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
No problem with a 21m long DF. And the exterior model does have a ramp shape right where the aft door would lead.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...-floorplan.gif
Except of course that there's no such exit door on the aft compartment set!

As for the 7' medical bed, perhaps it is flexible and is stored vertically inside the wall?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:20 PM   #83
Timo
Admiral

There is that fold-out ladder at the corner opposite the entry alcove, supposedly allowing for exit once the aft ramp folds down. It's difficult to spot, but visible in at least two episodes. This was thought out...

One might speculate that the aft compartment, not seen until some way into the history of the DF, is a separate cubical container that can be shoved into the aft hold through the hatch, hence the awkward, non-optimal shape.

As for the 7' medical bed, perhaps it is flexible and is stored vertically inside the wall?
It's one of those CT or MRI tube things if I recall correctly - essentially, it wouldn't go vertical but rather would telescope when sliding into the wall.

The small lifeboats would rather easily fit in the space between the curved outer walls and the cubical interior. The question about them is twofold: how does one access them from the inside, and how do they eject? The exterior has four obvious ejection tube hatches, two per side - but in "Drive", those become impulse booster engines! (Perhaps Paris and Torres actually installed engines in place of lifepods?)

Timo Saloniemi
Old November 30 2012, 06:35 PM   #84
Mytran
Fleet Captain

There is that fold-out ladder at the corner opposite the entry alcove, supposedly allowing for exit once the aft ramp folds down. It's difficult to spot, but visible in at least two episodes. This was thought out...
I must admit I'd never noticed this before. Do you know which episodes this view appears in?

One might speculate that the aft compartment, not seen until some way into the history of the DF, is a separate cubical container that can be shoved into the aft hold through the hatch, hence the awkward, non-optimal shape.
This would explain the frankly weird nature of the aft compartment!

It's one of those CT or MRI tube things if I recall correctly - essentially, it wouldn't go vertical but rather would telescope when sliding into the wall.
Except that a character (I forget who) hides inside the medical bed during one episode. A telescopic bed would lead to a telescoping person, eek!
Old November 30 2012, 10:13 PM   #85
Forbin
Admiral

^7 of 9's body was kept in cold storage in there during that flash-forward time travel episode where V'ger crashed on an ice planet. The bed slid in and out like a drawer with a 6-foot tall woman in it.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 11:02 AM   #86
Timo
Admiral

A few graphical cues...

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/images/ddf-5.gif

This is the concept for the aft hatch. One could not walk in along that ramp - one would descend from the aft compartment on a ladder coming down from the very aft part of the ramp. The ramp would be there supposedly for inserting and extracting outsize cargo, and the aft compartment would be such a piece of cargo, with its own, clumsy means of ingress and egress.

Compare to the floorplan: the hinge of the aft hatch would be level with the forward hinges of those four side things that may have launched the lifepods but were booster engines in "Drive". This makes it difficult for the aft compartment to have a level floor - but also note that the DF must be somewhat bigger than in that conceptual view, considering the forward compartment set already. That is, more like 21-22 meters rather than 15 in length.

Entering the lifepods might be done from the in-between alcove somehow, with crawlways opening to port and starboard.

The bed slid in and out like a drawer with a 6-foot tall woman in it.
Yup.

http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...meless_137.jpg

Perhaps it's "Counterpoint" all over again? Perhaps the device is transporter-based and scans or treats its patient by reducing her to a phased matter stream first, starting with the legs as the patient is inserted?

Entering the lifepods might also be a transporter-based operation...

Still looking for the images showing a glimpse of the ladderway. That wall tended to be the wild one in many shoots; it's the simplest one, too, a rather featureless flat panel save for this little nook to port.

Timo Saloniemi
Old December 1 2012, 11:28 AM   #87
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Timo, your example images are either not found or access forbidden.
Old December 1 2012, 10:14 PM   #88
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Right click, copy & paste the hyperlink directly into the address bar.
Old December 3 2012, 03:43 AM   #89
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Melakon wrote: View Post
Timo, your example images are either not found or access forbidden.
Mytran wrote: View Post
Right click, copy & paste the hyperlink directly into the address bar.
That works for the first link, but not the second.
Old December 3 2012, 08:59 AM   #90
Timo
Admiral

For some reason, certain TrekCore links can be copy-pasted but others can't - I think VOY and ENT have some extra level of complication compared to the others. It's difficult to spot when doing the post because the image in the link will of course be in my buffer and the link will open easily enough for me. I think adding a question mark at the end will allow the cut-and-pasted address to work...

Timo Saloniemi