TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 1 2012, 06:18 PM   #1171
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Salinga wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If anyone can do a screencap comparison of just an exterior shot of the Enterprise between the two seasons, that might help show what I mean here.
Like these?

Season 1: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...acy_hd_386.jpg
Season 2: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...tgomery_hd.jpg
Yeah. Just as I figured, the colors are washed out on Season 2. That's what I found a little distracting when I was at the screening.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:30 PM   #1172
Salinga
Captain

"Star Trek returns! Jonathan Frakes and LeVar Burton sit down with Matt Mira to discuss what diehard fans can expect in the Blu-ray release of Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2."
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/61641/jon...son-2-blu-ray/
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:44 PM   #1173
Salinga
Captain

Yeah. Just as I figured, the colors are washed out on Season 2. That's what I found a little distracting when I was at the screening.
I tried to fix it a little by myself, but of course it cannot hold up to the work of CBS-D:

Old December 1 2012, 06:51 PM   #1174
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Well, after much thought I just cancelled my order through Amazon. I'll likely still purchase it, but I'll wait to see if Best Buy or another retailer offers it cheaper than the $87 it was going to cost through Amazon with release-day delivery. I thought I heard BB was going to have it for $65 next week.
Nice catch!

The ad for next week is at the top of the page. TNG season two is under the second Movie/Music spoiler, on the far right at the top.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...29&postcount=1
Old December 1 2012, 07:50 PM   #1175
Salinga
Captain

Amazon Germany already has negative reviews (with reference to TrekCore) about the quality of the special effects. The reviewers suggest a boycott of this season to make CBS feel that it was a mistake to release a mediocre work:
http://www.amazon.de/Star-Trek-Gener.../dp/B009DW9G9M
Old December 1 2012, 08:39 PM   #1176
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Amazon Germany already has negative reviews (with reference to TrekCore) about the quality of the special effects. The reviewers suggest a boycott of this season to make CBS feel that it was a mistake to release a mediocre work:
I'm torn on the whole "boycotting" idea. On one hand, I understand why people might be less than thrilled that CBS outsourced the season 2 remastering work to HTV and allowed inferior work to be done. But based on the reports, HTV will no longer be affiliated with this project. CBS has already learned the lesson. They apparently have acknowledged their mistake. We don't need to boycott in an attempt to get the studio's attention - it sounds like they already got the message. Also, I want this project to be financially successful because that's the only way we'll get this kind of extensive treatment for DS9 or VOY down the road. If the TNG Blu-ray releases don't do well, they won't waste the time or the money to tackle DS9 next.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:41 PM   #1177
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I'm torn on the whole "boycotting" idea. On one hand, I understand why people might be less than thrilled that CBS outsourced the season 2 remastering work to HTV and allowed inferior work to be done. But based on the reports, HTV will no longer be affiliated with this project. CBS has already learned the lesson. They apparently have acknowledged their mistake. We don't need to boycott in an attempt to get the studio's attention - it sounds like they already got the message. Also, I want this project to be financially successful because that's the only way we'll get this kind of extensive treatment for DS9 or VOY down the road. If the TNG Blu-ray releases don't do well, they won't waste the time or the money to tackle DS9 next.
It will be hard for me to boycott this set because the special features are up to the Season 1 standards, and that's one of the reasons I have to buy the set. Unless you can get the special features without getting the set, I'm still going to get this.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:54 PM   #1178
davejames
Vice Admiral

You know, I'm starting to wonder if all the talk about "honoring the original style" and "recreating the experience" was just a way to head off some of the criticism they knew would be coming....
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:56 PM   #1179
Harvey
Admiral

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
Also, I want this project to be financially successful because that's the only way we'll get this kind of extensive treatment for DS9 or VOY down the road. If the TNG Blu-ray releases don't do well, they won't waste the time or the money to tackle DS9 next.
I'm not sure if soft sales figures for one season out of seven -- a season which led CBS to fire the associated effects house, no less -- will have a significant impact on whether the next two series are remastered in HD.

Personally, I'm not buying this season at the moment, but it is on my list for Xmas. I doubt that an internet-organized boycott would have much effect on sales numbers; nor do I expect CBS to offer replacement discs for this set like they did on season one. I'm not going to spend $75 on it though, and I'm glad HDV-Illuminate was sacked so they can't mess up further releases.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 09:02 PM   #1180
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
You know, I'm starting to wonder if all the talk about "honoring the original style" and "recreating the experience" was just a way to head off some of the criticism they knew would be coming....
The same things were said when CBS-D was working on season 1.

CBS-D used it as a challenge. HTV used it as an excuse.

I'd love to know CBS-D's reaction to the season 2 work, but I guess because of NDAs etc., we won't ever know the dirt.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 09:15 PM   #1181
Salinga
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I'd love to know CBS-D's reaction to the season 2 work, but I guess because of NDAs etc., we won't ever know the dirt.
I am pretty sure the love that went into the show from them was also based on their own interest to enjoy watching the show. If they pop in Season 2 at home, they more than anyone else can see the mistakes on the screen and are much more distracted by them. They probably have noticed things that even we didnt see so far.
Old December 1 2012, 09:20 PM   #1182
trekker670
Fleet Captain

CBS-D used it as a challenge. HTV used it as an excuse.
^ This.

I agree, I was thinking a few days ago what it would be like to be a fly on that wall when CBS saw HTV's product.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 09:27 PM   #1183
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post

I agree, I was thinking a few days ago what it would be like to be a fly on that wall when CBS saw HTV's product.
Well, my question is this - shouldn't CBS have seen the final product far enough in advance to have given HTV a mandate to improve? If I were outsourcing an entire season's worth of work to an external vendor, I'd want to keep tabs on their progress. As they finished work on their first couple of episodes, shouldn't someone from CBS have screened the episodes to see how they looked? And noticed the difference?!
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 09:35 PM   #1184
NewHorizon
Captain

I have a feeling that since it was Dan Curry, Doug Drexler, etc that they probably felt that these guys should know what they're doing...and damn, they should.

I recall reading a post on Doug Drexler's website before Season 1 was released, before we knew HTV-Illuminate was involved. Doug basically said that they were going to make the show look just like we remembered it, but it would look like they wiped the dirt off the screen. I don't remember Next Gen looking this bad. That's the thing about memory, we remember it better. Dan, Doug and the gang attempted to make the show look..not how we remembered it...but exactly how it looked, but clearer. Well, like the reviews say...it's a mixed bag.

I don't think HTV was ever on the same page as CBS, and that's a HUGE problem. They had two completely different approaches and it should never have been allowed to happen. The CBS execs should have put their money behind CBS digital, relaxed the schedule and put the bloody fire out that was roaring beneath their butts.

So, HTV is gone...but is this new FX house going to be any better? Will they share the passion CBS-Digital obviously has, will they honor CBS-D's approach, and will CBS-D invest the time and guidance to ensure the outsourced Seasons match up?

Last edited by NewHorizon; December 1 2012 at 09:50 PM.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 10:29 PM   #1185
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

If anyone can do a screencap comparison of just an exterior shot of the Enterprise between the two seasons, that might help show what I mean here.
Like these?

Season 1: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...acy_hd_386.jpg
Season 2: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...tgomery_hd.jpg
Yeah, the S1 ship has much more natural looking colors and lighting to it. I like it much better.