RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Posts: 5,359,791
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 580
Newest member: DasGeneral


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 45 25.71%
A 48 27.43%
A- 29 16.57%
B+ 14 8.00%
B 8 4.57%
B- 11 6.29%
C+ 4 2.29%
C 4 2.29%
C- 7 4.00%
D+ 2 1.14%
D 1 0.57%
D- 0 0%
F 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 1 2012, 06:37 PM   #376
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But, see, you guys are trying to come up with excuses for this ipso facto. "Well, the housekeeper was and old man inexperienced with this sort of thing and M was an aging, mortally wounded, bureaucrat so neither of them were in a position to know not to use the flashlight in such a manner under those circumstances or were thinking straight."

I somehow doubt that thought process were what the writers of the movie had in mind when they made the scene. (At the same time, I doubt they had it in mind that either or both were so incompetent at life that they didn't realize doing something like that was a bad idea.) It's just an inkling of poor writing. They needed a way for Silva to spot M in the distance and this was the best they could come up with. (As opposed to a variety of Bond-universe-ian gadgets they could have come up with. Like Silva's hack into MI6 gave him access to a drone or satellite with thermal imaging or something.) It's a bit of lazy writing, a deus ex machina. The characters act stupid pretty much because the script says they have to in order to get to the next scene.
Exactly. One of the thugs is wearing night-vision gogggles, sees them, alerts Silva. Done and done. Does anyone here honestly think that would have made for a lesser sequence?

Same with Silva's magic computer virus. Instead of Q moronically accessing it, why couldn't it have been something he had his goons activate from the outside if he was ever apprehended?

I don't know if John Logan was responsible for the plot point of Shinzon spreading B4 all around some random planet full of hostile natives, but I don't see this as being any better.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:49 PM   #377
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

He didn't spread B4 all around a planet did he? Just a patch the size of a small field.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:59 PM   #378
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

^There's a manure joke in there, but I can't be bothered.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:33 PM   #379
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Gaith wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But, see, you guys are trying to come up with excuses for this ipso facto. "Well, the housekeeper was and old man inexperienced with this sort of thing and M was an aging, mortally wounded, bureaucrat so neither of them were in a position to know not to use the flashlight in such a manner under those circumstances or were thinking straight."

I somehow doubt that thought process were what the writers of the movie had in mind when they made the scene. (At the same time, I doubt they had it in mind that either or both were so incompetent at life that they didn't realize doing something like that was a bad idea.) It's just an inkling of poor writing. They needed a way for Silva to spot M in the distance and this was the best they could come up with. (As opposed to a variety of Bond-universe-ian gadgets they could have come up with. Like Silva's hack into MI6 gave him access to a drone or satellite with thermal imaging or something.) It's a bit of lazy writing, a deus ex machina. The characters act stupid pretty much because the script says they have to in order to get to the next scene.
Exactly. One of the thugs is wearing night-vision gogggles, sees them, alerts Silva. Done and done. Does anyone here honestly think that would have made for a lesser sequence?

Same with Silva's magic computer virus. Instead of Q moronically accessing it, why couldn't it have been something he had his goons activate from the outside if he was ever apprehended?

I don't know if John Logan was responsible for the plot point of Shinzon spreading B4 all around some random planet full of hostile natives, but I don't see this as being any better.
Q doing something blazingly stupid was a key part of his characterization, as essential as his hairstyle and mannerisms.
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:35 PM   #380
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Gaith wrote: View Post

Same with Silva's magic computer virus. Instead of Q moronically accessing it, why couldn't it have been something he had his goons activate from the outside if he was ever apprehended?
Which would have made more sense. As it now, Silva's plan IS to be captured. And taken to a specific place that hadn't been set up when he set his plan in motion. And hope that Q is stupid. Or arrogantly stupid.

Honestly, it makes one believe that Silva was working with someone on the inside...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 09:55 PM   #381
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

stj wrote: View Post
Q doing something blazingly stupid was a key part of his characterization, as essential as his hairstyle and mannerisms.
We must have seen a different movie, because in the one I saw, Q was pretty much a hardcore super hacker himself. Directly linking someone else's machine not only to your own, but directly to your entire network, is... well, it's absolutely moronic. Especially for anyone who's even mildly security conscious. Even if it's just his mother's laptop where all he needed to do was fix a setting in her web browser, he still wouldn't have plugged it straight into their network.

The writers were just unbelievably daft. Moreso than usual even, if for no other reason than that they were trying to create a more realistic and believable Bond franchise.
Mister Fandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 10:14 PM   #382
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Which would have made more sense. As it now, Silva's plan IS to be captured. And taken to a specific place that hadn't been set up when he set his plan in motion. And hope that Q is stupid. Or arrogantly stupid.

Honestly, it makes one believe that Silva was working with someone on the inside...
He almost has to be. 'Cause otherwise I'm still waiting for an explanation for how he got out of his cell and killed two armed guards, neither of whose bodies were within fifteen feet of the thing!
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 11:18 PM   #383
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Q doing something blazingly stupid was a key part of his characterization, as essential as his hairstyle and mannerisms.
We must have seen a different movie, because in the one I saw, Q was pretty much a hardcore super hacker himself. Directly linking someone else's machine not only to your own, but directly to your entire network, is... well, it's absolutely moronic. Especially for anyone who's even mildly security conscious. Even if it's just his mother's laptop where all he needed to do was fix a setting in her web browser, he still wouldn't have plugged it straight into their network.

The writers were just unbelievably daft. Moreso than usual even, if for no other reason than that they were trying to create a more realistic and believable Bond franchise.
They were? Be that as it may, they didn't give Q that weird hair because he was anything but a fool who didn't get that Bond's old school he-manliness was the One True Path. He came across like a really smart ninth grader who hasn't quite realized yet he's gay. Q was supposed to fail to show how great Bond is, and the more moronically he failed the more vividly this Truth is demonstrated. Bond is the only man in the house, the winner. (Yes, technically Bond failed, but there's a reason no one at the end seems to have noticed.)
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 12:17 AM   #384
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

^ And yet Bond was standing right by Q when he accessed the computer, and didn't speak a peep of caution.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 02:24 AM   #385
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

And, really, it's a flaw that could have been rectified by a line or two of dialogue. Have Q say that somehow Silva's programing is breaking through MI6's firewalls and security measures. It'd be a weak excuse but it'd at least be something. Instead it seems more like it just never dawned on him that such a thing could happen when he connected the machine.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 06:01 AM   #386
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Gaith wrote: View Post
'Cause otherwise I'm still waiting for an explanation for how he got out of his cell and killed two armed guards, neither of whose bodies were within fifteen feet of the thing!
Did you miss the bit where his virus was sending "open" commands to any doors it could? The entire reason Bond suddenly took off running for Silva's cell? As for the guards, well, he's that good? ok, I got nothin.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 06:12 AM   #387
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Guards are watching him.

The cell door opens.

Guards: "Huh, that's fu - argh, my brains- feel - compelled - to turn around and - stare at wall, even though I hear footsteps approaching - knew I shouldn't have allowed MI6 to give me that cyber implant - OW! -"
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 08:32 AM   #388
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

You didn't read my entire post, did you?
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 10:18 AM   #389
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
And, really, it's a flaw that could have been rectified by a line or two of dialogue. Have Q say that somehow Silva's programing is breaking through MI6's firewalls and security measures. It'd be a weak excuse but it'd at least be something. Instead it seems more like it just never dawned on him that such a thing could happen when he connected the machine.
Professional arrogance.. he's one of the best IT specialists in the world and works for MI6.. surely no one can invade or crack his system!
__________________
"A control freak like you with something you can't control? No no.. that's gonna be more fun than shark week!" Det. Javier Esposito
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 08:21 PM   #390
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Snowjourner wrote: View Post
You didn't read my entire post, did you?
Verily, I did. But I went for the gag anyway.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
007, james bond

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.