Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 30 2012, 03:00 AM   #91
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watch

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
He should give his $350,000 an episode to charity. What an ingrate. I like what someone said on Twitter about it: "Looks like Kirk Cameron has finally found someone to come to his birthday parties."
And wave bananas around...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 03:02 AM   #92
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
He should give his $350,000 an episode to charity. What an ingrate. I like what someone said on Twitter about it: "Looks like Kirk Cameron has finally found someone to come to his birthday parties."
And wave bananas around...
Hey, you can't deny them. Ya know?

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 05:07 PM   #93
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

All I can say is, I'm glad there was no internet and no cameras pointed at me when I was 19. I shudder to think of the stupid, self-important things I would have said.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 06:02 PM   #94
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

^ Yes. This is just the unfortunate case of someone hitting their angry young man phase while while living a life public enough to be scrutinized by everyone.
Old December 1 2012, 03:13 AM   #95
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
This kid isn't any kind of a soldier. Soldiers obey orders and respect the chain of command. They don't turn into fuckin' whiners.
Onward Christian Whiner...

Seriously. He's unsettled enough to claim the show is filth, that people shouldn't watch it, that he doesn't want to work there, but instead of talking to Chuck Lorre and standing by his principles, he changes his mind and keeps pocketing his paycheck. In the words of Jonas Nightingale, "You don't want to see them suffer, but you want to keep their money. Gee, Gidge, what's a girl to do?"
He better keep collecting those checks because he's made himself unemployable in Hollywood when his current show ends.

As far as the kid goes, yes we all make mistakes but he's in a high profile position making more money than a normal person could ever use in an economy where many, many people are struggling. At nineteen, if he was thinking these thoughts, he should've pulled back and thought through the possible ramifications of his actions. It's what adults are suppose to do.
Old December 1 2012, 08:22 AM   #96
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

BillJ wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
This kid isn't any kind of a soldier. Soldiers obey orders and respect the chain of command. They don't turn into fuckin' whiners.
Onward Christian Whiner...

Seriously. He's unsettled enough to claim the show is filth, that people shouldn't watch it, that he doesn't want to work there, but instead of talking to Chuck Lorre and standing by his principles, he changes his mind and keeps pocketing his paycheck. In the words of Jonas Nightingale, "You don't want to see them suffer, but you want to keep their money. Gee, Gidge, what's a girl to do?"
He better keep collecting those checks because he's made himself unemployable in Hollywood when his current show ends.

As far as the kid goes, yes we all make mistakes but he's in a high profile position making more money than a normal person could ever use in an economy where many, many people are struggling. At nineteen, if he was thinking these thoughts, he should've pulled back and thought through the possible ramifications of his actions. It's what adults are suppose to do.
Good point. Here he is, a young up and coming, making serious money on a show he's barely involved in, and he badmouths not only the writing, but the cast and crew as well. No one is going to want to deal with a public whiner who has barely any star power, doing little work, but is making lots of bank. It's bad for business.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:41 PM   #97
stj
Rear Admiral

There are three issues here.

First, there is the factual question of whether Two and Half Men sells sexual humor. Well, it does. And there's not much else too it, either. Jones wins over a lot of people criticizing him because at least he can recognize a fact.

Second, there's the issue of whether the dirty jokes make the show "filth." Now people might be insulted by someone dissing their taste on moral grounds. They should grow up. On a human level, Jones is either hoaxing or genuininely getting into a very disturbing cult situation. Seeing someone fall for the "Forerunner" is really much more disturbing than getting heated up because someone disapproves of your taste. No, think about it. Jones may be gong off the deep end. How do any mortified feelings compare to that?

Third, there's the outrage over an employee who isn't properly grateful to the boss. This is usually presented as a distaste for hypocrisy, although some posters are forthright enough. But this kid was sent out to get work. (If you really think he made an informed choice to sell his soul to Chuck Lorre, you're out of your mind. My condolences on the bad news.) Going to that set and doing that stuff has been a large part of his whole life. Breaking away is going to be hard to do. If sincere, this video is probably the first step in such a process. Criticizing him for not upending his entire life instantly in my opinion even more narrowminded and meanspirited than calling racy humor "filth." And it's much the same kind of mindset too.
Old December 1 2012, 02:46 PM   #98
teacock
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post

Second, there's the issue of whether the dirty jokes make the show "filth." Now people might be insulted by someone dissing their taste on moral grounds. They should grow up. On a human level, Jones is either hoaxing or genuininely getting into a very disturbing cult situation. Seeing someone fall for the "Forerunner" is really much more disturbing than getting heated up because someone disapproves of your taste. No, think about it. Jones may be gong off the deep end. How do any mortified feelings compare to that?
Whose "mortified feelings" are you talking about? It is not clear from what you say here.

Two and a Half Men is crass, sexist crap. Forerunner's fundamentalist end times garbage is disturbing abusive crap. The real difference is I don't think Two and a Half Men ever claimed to be anything other that what it is.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:11 PM   #99
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

teacake wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Maybe he's just a kid trying to find his way in the world. It's not like he's snorting coke off hookers' bellies on the set.

The "tolerance" here is underwhelming.
I don't tolerate stupidity, particularly publicized stupidity. It would behoove you to realize that "tolerance" doesn't mean "accept everything uncritically, and without question". If he wants to find his way in this world, then perhaps he should do so without dragging down his employer and co-workers with him. There's a good first lesson.
I lay a lot of blame on the morons who made the video. Even if this kid is just naive and full of cocky dumbness they should have realized that what he was saying had legal ramifications for him. Did they warn him about that I wonder.. or were they too excited to have a famous christian soldier (that terminology is in the video) giving filth the finger.
I don't see why they should be required to warn a 19 year old. Nobody warned Charlie Sheen and he probably has even less emotional maturity.
Old December 1 2012, 03:12 PM   #100
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^It may have escaped your notice, but lots of people are really pissed off about Jones' remarks. If you think it's because they agree with Jones about Two and Half Men, you're wrong. Lots of them are pissed at the insult to their taste, i.e., have "mortified feelings."

If you consider the Forerunner to be so bad (as it happens I agree, though I don't consider him any worse than multitudes of others,) shouldn't you feel pity or worry over Jones? That is, to the extent you do over celebrities you don't personally know.

It really is a stretch to try to find some sort of special grace in Two and a Half Men's supposed lack of pretense. It pretends it's hilarious. I disagree with that nearly as much as I disagree with the Forerunner.

PS ^^^ were aimed at preceding post, but another post got in between. Very sneaky.
Old December 1 2012, 04:33 PM   #101
BillJ
Admiral

^^^It may have escaped your notice, but lots of people are really pissed off about Jones' remarks. If you think it's because they agree with Jones about Two and Half Men, you're wrong. Lots of them are pissed at the insult to their taste, i.e., have "mortified feelings."

If you consider the Forerunner to be so bad (as it happens I agree, though I don't consider him any worse than multitudes of others,) shouldn't you feel pity or worry over Jones? That is, to the extent you do over celebrities you don't personally know.

It really is a stretch to try to find some sort of special grace in Two and a Half Men's supposed lack of pretense. It pretends it's hilarious. I disagree with that nearly as much as I disagree with the Forerunner.
I've never watched Two-and-a-Half Men and I have no idea who Frontrunner is (beyond the fact that it's the group that produced the video). So I'm not "mortified" about his comments in the context of the show he's bashing. Where my concern comes in is that a nineteen-year old man has so little common sense. He's attempting to put people out of work who actually depend on the paycheck that the show provides on a week-to-week basis. My oldest daughter (same age as the actor) goes to college full-time and works $8/hour retail and would never dream of pulling a stunt like this. Posting how shitty her company is or that they're ripping off customers on Facebook or other social media. It doesn't mean she doesn't complain about it privately.

As far as lowest common denominator humor goes: I like smart humor, I like a good fart/fuck joke too. The TV sitcom landscape would be pretty bad if shows that presented either type ceased to exist.
Old December 1 2012, 04:45 PM   #102
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

I've never watched Two-and-a-Half Men and I have no idea who Frontrunner is (beyond the fact that it's the group that produced the video). So I'm not "mortified" about his comments in the context of the show he's bashing. Where my concern comes in is that a nineteen-year old man has so little common sense. He's attempting to put people out of work who actually depend on the paycheck that the show provides on a week-to-week basis. My oldest daughter (same age as the actor) goes to college full-time and works $8/hour retail and would never dream of pulling a stunt like this. Posting how shitty her company is or that they're ripping off customers on Facebook or other social media. It doesn't mean she doesn't complain about it privately.

As far as lowest common denominator humor goes: I like smart humor, I like a good fart/fuck joke too. The TV sitcom landscape would be pretty bad if shows that presented either type ceased to exist.
No offense but the real test would be if the daughter was making her way through school selling private lap dances. Which the actor thinks he is in the same class as.
Old December 1 2012, 04:57 PM   #103
BillJ
Admiral

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
No offense but the real test would be if the daughter was making her way through school selling private lap dances. Which the actor thinks he is in the same class as.
Which is utter bullshit. It shows how out of touch with reality this kid actually is.
Old December 1 2012, 05:30 PM   #104
stj
Rear Admiral

Jones is analogous to a retail worker who complains publicly that the company is ripping off the consumer? I'm sorry my friend, that is not someone who lacks common sense but someone whose innate sense of morals hasn't been sold out for a paltry minimum wage. The presumption that the worker has sold his or her morals is one we should blush to openly state, much less get outraged about. Putting your conscience in cold storage isn't common sense but moral corruption.

The one who lies about the company ripping off the customers is the immoral one.
Old December 1 2012, 05:36 PM   #105
BillJ
Admiral

Jones is analogous to a retail worker who complains publicly that the company is ripping off the consumer? I'm sorry my friend, that is not someone who lacks common sense but someone whose innate sense of morals hasn't been sold out for a paltry minimum wage. The presumption that the worker has sold his or her morals is one we should blush to openly state, much less get outraged about. Putting your conscience in cold storage isn't common sense but moral corruption.

The one who lies about the company ripping off the customers is the immoral one.
You obviously haven't worked in the real world. If you get outraged and expose every company that does wrong and quit or get fired, your going to run out of places to work very, very fast.