Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 1 2012, 12:28 AM   #1231
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Another thought came to mind while rereading the book: Peter Jackson made a huge deal out of each time Frodo put on the One Ring in The Fellowship of the Ring and how Sauron felt its presence. Now, I don't remember how that was depicted in the book (but I don't think it was quite like how we saw it in the film), but Bilbo's frequent use of the One Ring is quite nonchalant. That's no surprise considering the book was written long before the trilogy (even if he did edit the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter to make it more aligned to the trilogy) and hadn't fully developed the One Ring and such.

My question is how will Peter Jackson depict Bilbo's use of the One Ring? He uses it frequently (escaping Gollum, sneaking up on the dwarves, escaping and fighting the spiders, freeing the dwarves from the Silvan Elves, etc.) with no ill effect. Will Peter Jackson tie this in with the rise of the Necromancer?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:36 AM   #1232
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm certain he will. I imagine Bilbo will still enter that weird otherworld Frodo went into whenever he put on the ring, but Sauron's presence probably won't be as strong.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:45 AM   #1233
mswood
Rear Admiral

There is an interview somewhere that mentions that Bilbo will enter the otherworld, and that it will have an effect on Bilbo but that it will be far more subtile then what Frodo felt.

Now that was from months ago, so I don't know if they still are doing that, but its what I read.
Old December 1 2012, 03:00 AM   #1234
chrisspringob
Commodore

Emh wrote: View Post
As I'm reading through the Mirkwood chapters, I'm thinking that the first movie of the trilogy will end just prior to them entering Mirkwood (although I'm not sure how that gels with Gandalf's side adventures).
I thought it had already been confirmed that the movie would end at exactly the spot you describe? They were originally going to end it after Mirkwood, but going from 2 to 3 movies moved the end of "Unexpected Journey" earlier.

There's still a lot of debate about where they'll end Film 2 though.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 04:58 AM   #1235
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm guessing Movie 2 ends with them killing Smaug, devoting Movie 3 to the Battle of 5 Armies and the assault on the Necromancer.

I'm not sure the best place to end Movie 1. With the fight with the Goblins? Entering Mirkwood, particularly after hanging out with Beorn, wouldn't be very climactic...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:44 AM   #1236
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm not sure the best place to end Movie 1.
"Thief, thief, thief! Baggins! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!"
Old December 1 2012, 06:41 AM   #1237
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I'm guessing Movie 2 ends with them killing Smaug, devoting Movie 3 to the Battle of 5 Armies and the assault on the Necromancer.
I hope it doesn't end with killing Smaug ... leave that for a riveting opening to Film 3 and, instead, end Film 2 with the White Counsel at Dol Guldur.

I'm not sure the best place to end Movie 1. With the fight with the Goblins? Entering Mirkwood, particularly after hanging out with Beorn, wouldn't be very climactic...
The soundtrack for the Hobbit ends with these tracks:

10. Out of the Frying-Pan
11. A Good Omen
12. Song of the Lonely Mountain performed by Neil Finn
13. Dreaming of Bag End

Track 12 is a pop-music piece, meaning it'll be the beginning of the end credits (which would likely be track 12). If that's the case, it seems like Film 1 ends:

Old December 1 2012, 02:33 PM   #1238
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

That's exactly where I would end it too. It's quite logical for a number of reasons.

It's ending the second movie that worries me. I'm afraid they'll do it after the death of Smaug, but I think there are serious problems with that. The book (like the LOTR movies) have false ending problems. And audience members who aren't familiar with the story will have been told this is the quest to kill a dragon. They'd be kind of confused when there's a third movie and the dragon is dead.
Old December 1 2012, 07:25 PM   #1239
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If only I didn't give a crap about audience members who aren't familiar with the story.
Old December 1 2012, 07:52 PM   #1240
Lieutenant Commander

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
If that's the case, it seems like Film 1 ends:

That sounds about right because
46379.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:24 PM   #1241
JD
Admiral

Old December 1 2012, 09:01 PM   #1242
Harvey
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
It's ending the second movie that worries me. I'm afraid they'll do it after the death of Smaug, but I think there are serious problems with that. The book (like the LOTR movies) have false ending problems. And audience members who aren't familiar with the story will have been told this is the quest to kill a dragon. They'd be kind of confused when there's a third movie and the dragon is dead.
Does it really matter if they don't show up for the third movie? It's not as if there are potential further installments that are contingent upon its success; the third film is pretty much the end of the road for this adaptation of Middle Earth, no?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 10:26 PM   #1243
mswood
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
That's exactly where I would end it too. It's quite logical for a number of reasons.

Well it depends on the focus of the narrative.

Is it lets go out and kill the dragon? Or is it lets reclaim our homeland?

Now obviously Smaug is tied to both, but at least with the material we have been shown so far, there is a real push not to just kill the dragon and get the gold, but to reclaim Erebor, and to get their home back.

If the first movie and realy lays down that aspect, teh history of Erebor, teh pride of the Dwarves, ect. And we are shown that Smaug isn't the only obstacle just one of them for that to occur, then I see no issue with Smaug meeting his end in the 2nd film. Its not like its really tied that much tot eh actions of Bilbo or the Dwarves, except indirectly.
Old December 1 2012, 10:28 PM   #1244
mswood
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post

We see plenty of them. Just not the ones from a certain area of Middle Earth.
Old December 2 2012, 03:40 AM   #1245
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

46379.1 wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
If that's the case, it seems like Film 1 ends:
That sounds about right because

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote